“Incredible barefoot luxury”

Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Ko Kut
London, United Kingdom
“Incredible barefoot luxury”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

3 nights at Kiri was not enough - this resort really does have the wow factor. The rustic style villas are huge with a lovely private pool each. It is the perfect place to switch off and really relax. I did yoga which was a great start to the day and the spa was also wonderful. Our butler 'Tokyo' was a true gentleman and always had the biggest smile on his face.

The food was out of this world. Dinner at The View was some of the best food I have had and dinner at the traditional Benz Restaurant is a must for a 10 course Thai Meal. To work off all of the food we were eating we also tried a Muay Thai Lesson on the beach which was great fun.

To top it off, complimentary chocolate and ice cream is a lovely extra!

I highly reccomend this super resort and look forward to returning one day in the future.

Room Tip: All of the villas are enormous - the hill villas don't really have views, the cliff villas have...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank louise353
Frank G, General Manager at Soneva Kiri Thailand, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Dear louise353,
thank you very much for posting your review on this forum. I am pleased to read that you had a great time. Thank you also for mentioning the chocolate room and ice cream parlour (featuring 60 flavours of home made ice creams and sorbets). I would like to add also the cinema paradiso and the observatory for star gazing as complimentary experiences that must not be missed during a stay at Soneva Kiri.
We hope you will be able to return one day.
Best regards
Frank Grassmann

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Rye, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

Just had 10 days in this very special hotel. The beach is the best I have ever had the pleasure of lounging on, the warm sea and white sand beach which shelves gently out about 100 yards is simply world class.
The food served up by Chef Kevin is top restaurant standard with The View and The Benz taking top billing with knowledgable sommelier and a very deep wine list.
We used the Spa every day and the massages and Yoga from Melody and Dr Rajan were awesome.
The rooms are all air conditioned and WiFi'd and it all works seamlessly.
While it is not cheap by any standards the best frequently is not and make no mistake this is up there with the best and I came off the back of the Mandarin in Hong Kong and The Peninsula in Bangkok so the level of measurement is high.
I almost forgot the staff are without exception delightful and helpful.
All in all a very pleasant stay which will be repeated soon I hope!

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mark_Sheardown
Dear Mr. Sheardown,
thank you so much for staying with us and I am delighted reading your positive review. On behalf of the entire team at the resort I would like to thank you and all of us hope to be able to welcoming you again.
south carolina
Reviewed February 15, 2013

We spent 5 nights at the resort and wished we had spent 5 more. Your resort experience begins when you are met by a Soneva Kiri representative in the Bangkok Airport who breezes you through to your private flight to the resort. Our seaside villa was stunning and one of the larger villas that we have ever stayed in. The staff was extraordinarily pleasant and helpful. Each guest has a Mr. or Mrs. Friday who is responsible for you throughout your stay, assisting you with whatever you need. The resort Chef Kevin is quite talented ( and a fun guy to chat with as well ) and the food was excellent . Make sure that you go to the resort's offsite restaurant Benz , which was some of the best Thai food that I have ever eaten. While it is not inexpensive, we both felt that our stay was worth every penny and would highly recommend it to anyone who wants luxe off the beaten path.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank lwv
Dear lwv,
thank you for posting your review of Soneva Kiri on this forum. I am very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay and that you found in particular our F&B department worth mentioning. Kevin will be more than pleased to read your comments and as his boss I am very happy about this. Benz indeed is an experience on its own and half the fun is getting there by our speedboat while the sun is setting at the horizon and one glides through the mangrove forest until at the end the restaurant suddenly appears from nowhere.
I sincerely hope you can visit us again.
Warmest regards
Winkfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 13, 2013

My husband and I spent a week at Soneva Kiri to celebrate a special birthday. A private plane ride which lands you on this beautiful unique place, you are then transported a short ride by speed boat to begin a truly wonderful experience from the moment you step onto the jetty. The villa was outstanding with breathtaking views to the sea. The staff are friendly and always smiling and make your experience all the more special. Fresh veg and fruits from their own gardens and delicious cuisine all round. A wonderful holiday for couples and families and we dream of our next visit to Soneva Kiri!!!! We would especially like to thank Mark (Spa Director) and Keaw who looked after us throughout our stay and made each day so special. When it was time to say goodbye they stood on the jetty and waved us off until we were out of sight. A magical time that will live in our memories for a life time, Thank you to all of you, Alfonso & Rhona

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rhona A
Dear Alfonso, Dear Rhona,
Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review of your last stay with us. It is nice to read that you had such an enjoyable time and that Mark Sands our Director of LIFE and Spa stood out amongst the hosts. (The second mention in a row for Mark - well done, Mark...)
All of us at the resort hope that we can welcome you back one day soon.
Warmest regards
kuwait
Reviewed February 12, 2013

I am delighted to share my experience of Soneva Kiri, Koh Kood. At first the whole idea of flying from Bangkok in Soneva’s private jet seemed adventurous and something different. In all it made my trip easy and comfortable. Upon reaching the Island we were taken on a Jetti from the Airbase to the resort. The resort from a distance seems a warm home amongst the wide expanse of the endless ocean and lone islands throughout. It really seems marvellous and I just couldn’t wait to step in , explore the Mangrove forests and to spend sometime in the clear blue sea. As our Jetti approached near , I saw staff members waiting at the dock. Upon arriving I was greeted by Mark , the Spa Director of the resort and with him were my to be butlers – Mr & Mrs Friday. My welcome was great. I could easily sense the relaxed atmosphere of the Island, something which I always missed in our busy lives in the city. I was taken through for a welcome drink at the Restaurant. I was very impressed to see how every detail is taken care of and the fans, chairs everything has Natural feel about them. Mark explained me about the place, the program I chose and what are the different activites I can do while staying. I was taken to my room which was a huge villa beautifully designed keeping in mind the ecology and balance with nature. I was also delighted to find the resort makes its own drinking water- all natural , beautiful !
My Spa program was a mix between Detox and Ayurveda. In the evening I met Dr Ranjan & Melody. Dr Ranjan is the ayurvedic doctor and Melody is the visiting practioner who along with Dr Ranjan designs ayurvedic treatments specifically for individual guests and has her own practise of Yoga and treatments as well. I was throroughly impress with Dr Ranjan’s Ayuvedic consultation , his knowledge and expertise in analysing my body type which are technically called Doshas in Ayurveda. I was prescribed a diet to be followed and certain foods to be avoided during my 14 day stay. The first day I had an ayurvedic massage, Abhyanga which is one of its kind with the oil usage and the technique. It was a new experience for me and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I was happy to experience that the oil was specifically selected for my body type and I could feel the connection as the ingredients absorbed. The next day, I had a Yoga session with Melody in the morning which was amazing. She also explained me the treatments she does which includes Yoga sessions, cleansings, massages, reflexology. I tried the reflexology session with her and I have to say I was amazed to find out much about myself during the session as she explained me the areas where I need to pay attention. In the next couple of days I went through a variety of Ayurvedic treatments like Choornaswedana ( heated bundle massage), Sheerodhara( warm oil pouring on the forehead), everyday was better and a new learning for me. Also I could see the effects of changes in my diet. Finally as prescribed my Dr Ranjan & Mark, I went through the Puriti Detox Program for 3 days. The program sounds extensive but its actually quite intresting with detox juices, exercises, treatments . I was taken care of very well by Mark and DrRanjan with regular visits and follow ups. at the end of my program I felt very light, energized and cleansed. I was given a post care advice on diet that I should follow when I go back home. I do practise that now and I feel a remarkable change in my energy levels and lifestyle. Thus in the end I would like to say Soneva Kiri is the best place to be in terms of Ayurveda and lifestyle. Also don’t forget to check the Life department which deals with water sports. Its been a remarkable experience truly which I can never forget ! My kudos to the team who always go the extra mile to make sure the guests are taken care of well and they have exceeded my expectations .. My special thanks to Mark, Dr Ranjan, Melody and the staff !

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Ocean B
Dear Ocean B,
thank you so much for your very comprehensive review. I am naturally pleased to read that you were so impressed with our wellness and spa teams. An area we are particularly proud of and one of the reasons why guests choose to stay with us.
I hope to be able to welcome you again soon.
Best regards
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 31, 2013

My husband and I spent 3 days in a Cliff Villa to end off our Honeymoon trip to Asia and WOW…what a finale!

Soneva Kiri is truly the most beautiful place we have ever had the privilege to stay. From the very easy glide through airport check-in and security with one of their representatives, to the flight over to their private airfield on a small 8 seater plane (quite an experience!!) to the speedboat trip to the island and then being met by our Ms Friday with our personal golf buggy. It felt like being Royalty!

The villa itself was breathtaking – spacious decked living areas with huge sofas everywhere, a beautiful pool looking over the sea with steps down to your own private beach, an outdoor bathroom with sunken bath and outdoor shower and a couple of day beds to relax on afterwards. This resulted in me (a 41 year old woman) running round the villa like a child at Christmas – I was that excited!

The owners have really gone the extra mile in thinking of everything that they could offer to make people feel totally pampered from a pillow and duvet menu, to a fragrance choice for the shower gel and shampoo/conditioner.

The team at Soneva Kiri were amazing…nothing was too much trouble and they were so attentive without being intrusive – a perfect balance.

The Food and Beverage team did an incredible job – the buffet breakfast was the most comprehensive and tasty we've ever had and the setting was stunning. We ate dinner in The View restaurant on our first evening and the steak was so soft you could have cut it with a butter knife…it truly melted in the mouth and the wine recommendation was spot on. We had booked to eat in the tree pod on our final night. When I checked the set menu it was predominately fish/seafood which I don't eat. That was no trouble for the team though who asked us to substitute any fish dishes for other favourites of ours. The tree pod was an amazing experience. You are hoisted 6 metres up into the trees while your waiter flies down a zip wire to deliver baskets of food and drink while you just relax and watch the sunset. We truly felt like we were the only two people in the world. A perfect end to our romantic honeymoon.

The philosophy of 'no shoes, no news' meant that we felt totally relaxed within hours of being there and the bottle of champagne and couples massage that the hotel provided to celebrate our honeymoon was wonderful. On leaving we were also given a photo frame to place a photo of our special time at the resort along with a key to Villa 12 where we stayed. Such a lovely thoughtful touch.

When it was time to leave paradise, the team all came out to wave us off and it felt like you were leaving friends behind. Hopefully it won't be too long before we return.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank suzannet38
Frank G, General Manager at Soneva Kiri Thailand, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Dear suzannet38,
thank you so much for your review and for taking your time to share your impression of your recent stay at Soneva Kiri.
I am delighted reading that you had a wonderful stay and I will share your positive feedback with the entire team who will be proud to read this.
All of us at the resort hope that we will have the opportunity to welcoming you both again soon.
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed January 23, 2013

A private island, very comfortable rooms/villas.
A bathroom inside the forest – very charming.
A stoning view and good natural food with green garden and some healthy stuff.
Definitely a unique place for vacation!

Room Tip: a beach villa if you like the sea.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank meizmeiz
Frank G, General Manager at Soneva Kiri Thailand, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Dear tmeizler,
I am pleased to read your positive review of your last stay with us and would like to thank you for your time to post this on this forum. Naturally, it is nice receiving positive feedback which I will share with the entire team.
I hope to be able to welcome you again to the resort one day.