“Soneva Kiri - ever so heavenly………..”
Review of Soneva Kiri

Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Ko Kut
Essex
“Soneva Kiri – ever so heavenly………..”
Reviewed August 19, 2012

My husband and I spent two weeks at Soneva Kiri in May 2012 and cannot recommend it enough, the location, villas, service, staff, food and attention to detail make the entire experience one that you will never forget or find elsewhere.

We have both travelled extensively, both business and holidays and stayed in some fantastic places, but Soneva Kiri operates at another level.

As soon as you arrive at Bangkok Airport you are greeted by Soneva staff who collect your luggage and whisk you through check in for your flight to Koh Kood. We were escorted to a VIP lounge shown to a private room and offered refreshments whilst we waited for departure, the journey on the small plane is fantastic about one hour long and great views across Thailand. You land on a neighbouring island and are taken by boat to Soneva Kiri, on the jetty you are warmly greeted by your Friday and various members of staff. No conventional lobby check in, instead you are allocated your personal golf buggy, your Friday then gives you a quick tour of the resort and drives you directly to your villa to check in where everything is prepared for your arrival.

Our personal “Friday” was Marissa who looked after us for the entire two weeks, you are given a mobile phone when you arrive and can contact your Friday at anytime. Marissa organised everything for us from trips to restaurant bookings, wine tastings, cookery classes, whatever we wanted Marissa was happy to help.

The Villas are stunning, we stayed in a beach villa that had a fantastic view, very private with its own private beach area and big private pool. The villas are huge, great outside space with large decked areas with numerous loungers, day beds and places to relax in or out of the sun. The outside bathrooms are amazing, a tropical garden setting with two showers, stone bath and double sink/vanity areas, even a couple of loungers.

Within the resort there are also larger Villas, (up to 6 bedrooms), these tend to be privately owned residential Villas managed by Henry.

The choice of restaurants and bars cater for all, we loved the informal beach lunches with fresh grilled tiger prawns and local caught fish. In the evenings you had a great choice of venue all offering a different experience, we particularly like the View restaurant, but wherever you choose you can guarantee top quality food and service and great wines to accompany, talk to Mark the Sommelier.

We had the pleasure of meeting and talking to the resort’s Executive Chef Stephen Quinn on a few occasions he is responsible for everything connected with food and beverage at Soneva Kiri and he does a fantastic job. We had a great “Chefs Table” evening and laughed all through dinner !

All staff were good, a mention for Meaw, Num and Pom, who made sure that we were well looked after.

Can’t not mention the ice cream and the chocolate rooms, hand made chocolates and ice cream available throughout the day in glass air-conditioned rooms, my husband was like a child again, Albert the sweet/pastry chef creates some amazing dishes and daily makes the chocolates/pastries/deserts and more for the resort.

On the occasion we used the Spa it was very enjoyable, relaxing surroundings and experienced staff. The Spa and the resort activity programme is the responsibility of Mark and both are very well run. We enjoyed seeing local life on the island and snorkelling trips. You can pretty much organise most activities or trips from Soneva. The trip to Maisie Island is worth it, the family produce honey and even have a working monkey called Handsome.

We didn’t try the open air cinema due to the location and mosquitoes, but it looks fun.

Thanks also to the medical staff who work in the resort, my husband had a small accident whilst there and the nursing staff were in attendance within minutes and checked him everyday.

You get a great sense of natural tranquillity, the eco- friendly policies, the natural beach, the materials used for the buildings the planting etc makes it a nice environment to stay in. Much thought goes into the detail, anticipating guest’s needs and always delivering any special requests without question. The philosophy of Slow Life is well executed and does come through.

Overall we had a wonderful time, I have and will continue to recommend Soneva Kiri to friends family and business contacts. We came away feeling that although the special offer that was available to us in 2012 was still expensive it was worth it. We would like to return and it would be a shame if the same or similar offers are not available for 2013. If they are not, the additional expense would make me think twice and I would look at alternatives.

Room Tip: For great viewes shoose a Cliff or Beach Villa. Beach Villas 1-9 are closer to the main resort build...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
10 Thank raysan
Frank G, General Manager at Soneva Kiri, responded to this review, September 8, 2012
Dear raysan,
thank you so very much for your time to write this very detailed review of your stay with us. I am delighted reading that you had such a wonderful time. Thank you also for mentioning a number of our hosts. Rest assured they will receive the recognition they deserve.
We would love to welcoming you back next year and please do not hesitate to contact me in due course directly under frank@soneva.com to find out about any special offers we may plan for next year.
Frank Grassmann
Soneva Kiri

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Singapore
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Soneva Kiri is excellent in all categories as previous reviewers have mentioned. I will attempt to summarize the positives and also highlight what makes this place special.
Positives:
1. Service (the best you can ever get from everyone working at the resort)
2. Beauty (the design of the villas and the entire surroundings of he property are incredibly beautiful)
3. Food (the food was simply great. P/S: you have to try the lemongrass chocolate milk at the Chocolate Parlour)
4. Activities (there is no short of activities to keep you occupied)
5. Beach (one of the very best and cleanest beach in the whole of Thailand)\
6. Spa (this is the only spa that makes me relaxed during massage)

What makes this place special:
1. Spaciousness of the place
There are so many public places outside of your villa that allows you to just be alone. From the library to the relaxing corner in the spa facing the mangrove trees and beach, you have so many places to just be with nature and yourself, to relax and to reflect. This is really what helps you to find inner peace.
2. Special experiences
Going to the obervatory and seeing Saturn and its ring, seeing the castor star and Mars up close is truly special experience that helps to put things in perspective. You realize how small you really are and that the world is filled with so many wonders and you are not alone. Watching "Love Actually" under the starts with homemade popcorn and having the entire cinema to yourself is another unforgettable experience.
3. Soneva Kiri's corporate philosophy
From the hiring of locals, to the school for locals to the ecofriendly design and the recycling efforts at the resort, Soneva Kiri makes a postive difference to the local community and to our planet. Seeing is believing. When you see for yourself how nice the host village (where the staff stay is), you understand why every staff serves with genuine pleasure--because they are happy. There are many top-notch resorts/hotels out there but none comes close to what Soneva is doing in terms of impact to community and the green movement.
4. Housekeeping and pest control
The unseen folks who do a wonderful job of making my stay paradise perfect. It is truly difficult to keep the mosquitos and other insects away given the natural environment of this place but they did it. The staff took special efforts after I requested for it (since I am indeed afraid of insects) and during the 3 days I was there, I was only bitten 4 times by a mosquito and I had no close encounter with any insects. Bearing in mind this is the rainy season and that it did rain for the whole Thursday that I was there, this is no mean feat. The villa was also kept immensely clean. Just how clean you may ask. It was so clean that I could walk around outdoors and still have my feet look clean without dirt. Khun Nen who looked after my villa also took special notice of the way I place my things and made sure everytime he cleaned the villa, my things were exactly in position when I return.

To sum it up, this is a wonderful place that helped me find my inner peace. If my husband hadn't broken his arm and couldn't go at the last minute, I'm sure it would have been a great experience for us as a couple too. And the knowledge that I am helping to do some good through my patronage of the resort certainly makes me happy too.

Last but not least, I would like to commend my Ms Friday Khun Marissa for her wonderful company, Khun Nen who took care of my villa for making me feel at home and Khun Nook and Khun Nuna from reservations for accomodating my various last minute changes.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
7 Thank astropoeia
Manjit G, Villa Operations Manager at Soneva Kiri, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
Dear Guest,

We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with feedback from your recent stay at Soneva Kiri. Thank you for your nice comments about our service, food, spa and the Resort in general. We are also glad that we could play a part in helping you attain "Inner Peace".

We also appreciate you writing to us and pointing out an error in the 3 points rating shown along side an otherwise fantastic review.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you again along with your husband in the not too distant future.

Manjit Ghosh
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed August 15, 2012 via mobile

I m a returned guest , use the full board promotion

V were upgraded into 5 bedroom private reserve villa , the villa was so big especially v had in villa slider that made us play like a child OMG

V have own buggy car , can drive every time v want , no need to call as another resort

The butler was very nice to service us

The pool was so big too , around 200 sqm , v were swimming all day long , more lucky that 2 days stay the weather so sunny and made skin all of us tan , anyway v happy to get tan when back home from this fabulous trip

According to full board promotion ,v can enjoy free flow of foods and beverages as much as v want , v can have it at restaurant or room service as well

Don't forget to try so many taste of ice-cream and chocolate , the taste and quality so good

• Stayed August 2012
3 Thank Yossakorn
Manjit G, Manager at Soneva Kiri, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the great review. We are delighted to know you enjoyed our hospitality as well as the water slider in your Villa, which is one of the unique features present only in our private reserves.

Our Unique Offer concept is truly amazing and non restrictive, allowing guests lots of options to choose from.

We hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back and we look forward to it.

Manjit Ghosh
Villa Operations Manager
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 13, 2012

A good romantic hideaway. My partner and I stayed 5 nights for our special occasion. The services we had on a few occassions were a miss, but that was rectified with management. Food in general was good, but from our perspective it wasn't really authentic as it lacked spice, we did inform the waiters to make it more spicey, the local way, but i dont think the request was followed. Nevertheless, we did get to try some authentic dishes during the cooking classes. The private beach picnic and the tree top dining were nice. The ice cream parlour and the chocolate room were a hit. The observatory was a nice touch with a knowledgeable staff ready to answer any questions you may have. Overall, it was a nice relaxing romantic island get away.

2 Thank dllm
Dear dllm,
thank you for taking your time to post your impressions about your stay with us on this forum. I am glad to read that you had a good time with us. I have taken note of your comments regarding the authenticity of some of the dishes and will address this with the chef, in particular Khun Benz.
I hope to be able to welcoming you back again to our resort.
Frank Grassmann
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed July 21, 2012

We spent 3 nights on the island resort and it was absolutely wonderful. When one pays these prices you could always find small "faults" to complain about, however there is nothing of note to put in this review. We chose the cliff villa which has 2 private swimming pools, both off which are long enough to do laps in. There is ample space and facilities to cater for sun shine and rain. The service is outstanding with everyone we met seeming to be truly happy to be working at the resort. The food (and drinks) leave you wanting for nothing...except a serious diet once you leave. So if you are even considering going...consider no more..just do it.

Room Tip: Review the choice of rooms closely. We found the cliff villa to be completely private and wonderful...
3 Thank kelvincraig
Andrew A, Managing Director at Soneva Kiri, responded to this review, April 13, 2016
Dear kelvincraig ,

I am sure this response will surprise you given that you wrote a review on your stay at Soneva Kiri so long ago.

I am sorry that no one was able to respond to your comments at the time but thank you for staying with us and we are still here!

As such please let me know if I can forward any information to you and hopefully welcome you back to Soneva Kiri soon.

Seoul
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I finally could stay at this unbelievable resort for 7 days on June.
I didn't know it was rainy season, but the weather was good considering it was rainy season.
I heard there are more than 300 staffs working at this resort, but it's hard to find the guests.
(It means the service is quick and nice.)
Nevertheless, the food and beverage are incredibly various.
I want to mention some unforgettable things here.

1. From arrival to Bangkok international airport to departure from it, they guide us for fast track, and you don't have to spend your time useless in the airport.

2. Impressive in room dining. As soon as you order in room dining, your living room is changed to fine restaurant in 30 minutes. Table setting was perfect and the decoration of food is too good to see it in my villa, not in the restaurant. I don't care of decoration, but watching full set in room dining was one of my pleasure.

3. Watching movie outside. The frog was noisy for a few minutes, but it became barely audible once you watch movie.

4. Watching Mars and Saturn. In spite of rainy season, I could see them at the observatory in the night. Rainy season doesn't mean it rains all day long, daily.

5. The buggy. I really enjoyed to drive this small electric car. It was scary at the first time, but later I wanted more speed. ^^

6. Each restaurant has its own atmosphere and it was hard to decide which one I visit for my dinner.

7. The SPA. I didn't use it, but I can say it's good enough because my 5 month pregnant wife liked it and complained anything. (She is very sensitive. lol)

8. Large villa. I guess 30 people can use this villa at once.

9. My Friday, Marisa. She is a Thai, but her English was perfect. She seemed a little bit busy, but it was no problem to me, because everything was good and comfortable and I didn't have to look for her. Anyway, I miss my Friday. ^^

10. Various beverage. If I didn't feel full, I wanted to try every beverage, but I couldn't. There were various beverage including wines. I could drink many kind of wines and all the wines were better than average at least to me. Besides, sommelier's explaination was easy to understand.

11. The fruits. There were various fruits. I could eat some fruits I have never eaten before. Especially I miss guava and pomelo.

After writing too many pros, I feel I need to write some cons even if they are not big stuff.

1. There are too many mosquitoes. There is liniment in the villa but I and my wife didn't use it because my wife was pregnant and we were afraid of it effect something wrong. Anyway, you don't have to worry about it when sleeping. They offer mosquito net. By the way, the staffs seemed never care of mosquitoes. (Perhaps due to liniment??)

2. First of all, I am not a racist. But the attitude was slightly different between non-white staffs and white staffs. It's hard to explain, but my wife thought so too. I certainly had good time with all the staffs regardless of their color, but I felt more comfortable with non-white staffs. The reason may be that the attitude is based on their previous experience and their character, not on training at the resort. Anyway, all the staffs are kind enough comparing with other resort and hotel.

3. There was no strawberry. Maybe because of seasonal availability? Anyway, I wanted to eat one strawberry at that time. um.... Now I come to think of it, I have never asked if there is strawberry at the resort. lol

Dear comworm ,

Pune, India
Reviewed July 6, 2012

greeted with an amazing private plane ride from suvarnabhumi airport to the resort! Had booked 2 one bed villas, however since the air conditioning in one of them was not working, we were upgraded to a 4 bedroom villa! this villa was just fantastic! a large pool, spacious common area and rooms, kitchenette and gym just lovely! the staff are friendly and take extra effort to befriend the kids, making them feel wanted and loved. My niece felt like a celebrity during our stay! food is fantastic. was really value for money.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family