Soneva Kiri
  • Restaurant
$153
TripAdvisor
  • Beachfront
All reviewsprivate planechocolate roomoutdoor cinemabenz restaurantcinema paradisobangkok airportview restaurantgolf buggytree pod diningms fridaysix senseschocolate and ice creamcliff villakids clubno shoeskhun benzin villa dining
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 13, 2012

A good romantic hideaway. My partner and I stayed 5 nights for our special occasion. The services we had on a few occassions were a miss, but that was rectified with management. Food in general was good, but from our perspective it wasn't really authentic as it lacked spice, we did inform the waiters to make it more spicey, the local way, but i dont think the request was followed. Nevertheless, we did get to try some authentic dishes during the cooking classes. The private beach picnic and the tree top dining were nice. The ice cream parlour and the chocolate room were a hit. The observatory was a nice touch with a knowledgeable staff ready to answer any questions you may have. Overall, it was a nice relaxing romantic island get away.

2  Thank dllm
Frank G, General Manager at Soneva Kiri, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2012

Dear dllm,
thank you for taking your time to post your impressions about your stay with us on this forum. I am glad to read that you had a good time with us. I have taken note of your comments regarding the authenticity of some of the dishes and will address this with the chef, in particular Khun Benz.
I hope to be able to welcoming you back again to our resort.
Frank Grassmann
Soneva Kiri

Reviewed July 21, 2012

We spent 3 nights on the island resort and it was absolutely wonderful. When one pays these prices you could always find small "faults" to complain about, however there is nothing of note to put in this review. We chose the cliff villa which has 2 private swimming pools, both off which are long enough to do laps in. There is ample space and facilities to cater for sun shine and rain. The service is outstanding with everyone we met seeming to be truly happy to be working at the resort. The food (and drinks) leave you wanting for nothing...except a serious diet once you leave. So if you are even considering going...consider no more..just do it.

Room Tip: Review the choice of rooms closely. We found the cliff villa to be completely private and wonderful. The beach ones are obviously closer to the beach but less private I believe. Anyway you have your own golf cart to take you to the beach if necessary.
3  Thank kelvincraig
Andrew A, Managing Director at Soneva Kiri, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2016

Dear kelvincraig ,

I am sure this response will surprise you given that you wrote a review on your stay at Soneva Kiri so long ago.

I am sorry that no one was able to respond to your comments at the time but thank you for staying with us and we are still here!

As such please let me know if I can forward any information to you and hopefully welcome you back to Soneva Kiri soon.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

I finally could stay at this unbelievable resort for 7 days on June.
I didn't know it was rainy season, but the weather was good considering it was rainy season.
I heard there are more than 300 staffs working at this resort, but it's hard to find the guests.
(It means the service is quick and nice.)
Nevertheless, the food and beverage are incredibly various.
I want to mention some unforgettable things here.

1. From arrival to Bangkok international airport to departure from it, they guide us for fast track, and you don't have to spend your time useless in the airport.

2. Impressive in room dining. As soon as you order in room dining, your living room is changed to fine restaurant in 30 minutes. Table setting was perfect and the decoration of food is too good to see it in my villa, not in the restaurant. I don't care of decoration, but watching full set in room dining was one of my pleasure.

3. Watching movie outside. The frog was noisy for a few minutes, but it became barely audible once you watch movie.

4. Watching Mars and Saturn. In spite of rainy season, I could see them at the observatory in the night. Rainy season doesn't mean it rains all day long, daily.

5. The buggy. I really enjoyed to drive this small electric car. It was scary at the first time, but later I wanted more speed. ^^

6. Each restaurant has its own atmosphere and it was hard to decide which one I visit for my dinner.

7. The SPA. I didn't use it, but I can say it's good enough because my 5 month pregnant wife liked it and complained anything. (She is very sensitive. lol)

8. Large villa. I guess 30 people can use this villa at once.

9. My Friday, Marisa. She is a Thai, but her English was perfect. She seemed a little bit busy, but it was no problem to me, because everything was good and comfortable and I didn't have to look for her. Anyway, I miss my Friday. ^^

10. Various beverage. If I didn't feel full, I wanted to try every beverage, but I couldn't. There were various beverage including wines. I could drink many kind of wines and all the wines were better than average at least to me. Besides, sommelier's explaination was easy to understand.

11. The fruits. There were various fruits. I could eat some fruits I have never eaten before. Especially I miss guava and pomelo.

After writing too many pros, I feel I need to write some cons even if they are not big stuff.

1. There are too many mosquitoes. There is liniment in the villa but I and my wife didn't use it because my wife was pregnant and we were afraid of it effect something wrong. Anyway, you don't have to worry about it when sleeping. They offer mosquito net. By the way, the staffs seemed never care of mosquitoes. (Perhaps due to liniment??)

2. First of all, I am not a racist. But the attitude was slightly different between non-white staffs and white staffs. It's hard to explain, but my wife thought so too. I certainly had good time with all the staffs regardless of their color, but I felt more comfortable with non-white staffs. The reason may be that the attitude is based on their previous experience and their character, not on training at the resort. Anyway, all the staffs are kind enough comparing with other resort and hotel.

3. There was no strawberry. Maybe because of seasonal availability? Anyway, I wanted to eat one strawberry at that time. um.... Now I come to think of it, I have never asked if there is strawberry at the resort. lol

Dear comworm ,

Reviewed July 6, 2012

greeted with an amazing private plane ride from suvarnabhumi airport to the resort! Had booked 2 one bed villas, however since the air conditioning in one of them was not working, we were upgraded to a 4 bedroom villa! this villa was just fantastic! a large pool, spacious common area and rooms, kitchenette and gym just lovely! the staff are friendly and take extra effort to befriend the kids, making them feel wanted and loved. My niece felt like a celebrity during our stay! food is fantastic. was really value for money.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family

Dear SiddharthVasudevan ,

Reviewed June 25, 2012

Where do I start,
I booked this as our honeymoon treat for a week in June. even weeks before the trip, I fill out a questionnaire asking what kind of music and films we like, including what type of pillows, soaps and body lotions. I knew from that point I was going to love it.
Upon arrival on the island after the short flight on their private plane, we are escorted onto the speedboat to go the short distance to what looked like paradise.
when you get onto the jetty you are greeted by the resort director, exec chef, spa director before being escorted up the hill to the bar where you are greeted with a lemon scented fresh cloth to cool you down, followed by an ice cold cocktail...lovely.
After the English speaking staff make us feel right at home, we are guided to our buggy by our own Mr Friday, he takes us for a tour of the island, showing us where everything is before taking us to see our beach villa. WOW.
The second you walk in you think they have given you the wrong villa because of how big it is. 3 minibars, about 12 day beds indifferent areas, pool that must have been 15 meters long, 3 outdoor showers, jacuzzi sunken into the outdoor bathroom garden, Bose speakers everywhere so you can listen to the iPod in every area of the villa. every detail has been thought of, his/hers sinks, air con in the sleeping areas, steps outside of the bedroom straight into the pool that was always warm.
If you really wanted, one of the suitcases at the bottom of the bed opened up to a large LED television, nice touch.
we went back to the bar for cocktails that we're all included in the Unique Offer package. we also had a bottle of champagne waiting for us in our villa(not cheap sparkling wine)which was a nice touch.
when looking what to drink, you had a choice of 15 pages to go at, on top of a wine cellar with up to 1000 bottles, of which you can speak to the wine director to advise you. a lot of the wines were also included foc, but we did pay for some of the champagnes (which was expected as some of them were crystal)
Every guest is given their own golf cart to move around the resort, which comes in handy because it was very warm and close, around 32degrees.
We also went with the knowledge it was the start of the rainy season, but we were very lucky, we only had rain on one day, with a lot of the rain falling during the night. it didn't put a dampener on any of the whole week we were there.
The one thing to point out is that for a majorty of the whole we hardly saw any other guests. we regularly chatted with the exec chef Stephen Quinn and the Spa Director, Mark Sands who always made us feel very welcome. On a number of occasions Stephen would give us ideas on where to eat and also ring ahead to ensure a table was booked. So eating. Every night was something different from The View with their a la carte menu which was just superb, staff were so attentive and the food was out of this world. The restaurant had 6 people in it, which was crazy as there were around 12 staff looking after your every whim.
The next evening we were booked into Khun Benz restaurant which is situated within the mangroves along the inlet, you are taken there by 4wd or if sea permits on a 10 minute speed boat ride,(again, this is all included in the price). Khun Benz cooks whatever is bought or caught that morning by the local fishermen, using all local organic grown produce. When you arrive you are greeted and then offered insect repellant (it is on the water after all) before tucking into some of the best Thai food I have ever tastes, Authentic, Fresh, Local with whatever you want to drink.
The third evening we were invited to eat at the chefs table with the one man show that is Stephen Quinn, The food was served up with various wines selected especially for the evening and menu. Stephen entertained us for hours, I haven't laughed so much for a long time. After the meals he had organised a treat because they had a screening at the outdoor cinema going on. Upon arrival to the cinema in the lagoon, we were given wine and offered popcorn. the outdoor beds at the cinema would hold up to maybe 20 people. We felt very special.
The next day was my 40th birthday and after an amazing breakfast we were to meet our Mr Friday at the host village where they arranged a driver and a guide to take us on a tour of the island. These guys were brilliant, friendly, informative. Taking us to fishing villages, Buddhist temples and then to a large waterfall where the guide carried fresh towels for us in case we wanted a swim.. every time we got back to the jeep from walking, we were offered drinks from the ice container, followed by a selection of sliced fruits, this was such a nice treat.
Upon our return back to the resort, we were whisked to lunch in the tree pod. the pod is raised at least 60 foot up in the air where we were served pink champagne and a meal of up to 12 different selected food to eat. The waiter brought food to us along zip wires, and they finished the whole experience by bringing a special chocolate birthday cake, made by on of their chocolatiers. It was an amazing lunch.(the pod and champagne is chargeable but worth every penny)
I was blown away by the days events but it didn't end there. the chef told us that we should go to the BBQ on the beach for a sunset tea. This isn't what you expect. Upon arrival at the beach you are shown to your candlelit table and then served cocktails of your choice, you then choose from fresh prawns,sea bass,lamb chops, pork, beef steak and pass to the chef to cook on the BBQ for you. It's then brought and served at your table. his along with stir fry cooking of vegetables and various other food followed by a selection of home made desserts.
As you can tell, I did love this experience and that isn't even talking about the beach food and service to your sun bed, not to mention on one of the days, we were the only people on the beach. during our stay there were approx 10 staff to every guest. The Thai people are amazing and so hospitable. we never wanted for anything. Even if you wanted bar food one day, the menu had 34 pages of choices from all around the world. anything from a wagyu beef burger to a chicken curry.
Afternoon tea was served at 3.30 every day and you could choose from 60 home made ice creams, or you could walk into the chilled chocolate room and help yourself to as much as you wanted, all made by the chocolatier and pastry chef.
On the very last night we were lucky to get a chance to go into the observatory where the guide showed us planets and galaxy's. This is a rare treat as a once off which left me wanting to go back as soon as I can, maybe next time with our 4 year old son. They have
It's of things for the little ones to do, including playing in the man made wooden Den that sits 50 foot high above the ground.
No expense was spared on this resort and the staff make the whole experience special, from an amazing six senses spa treatment to a dining experience never to be forgotten.
I bet you are wondering if there were any downsides....well paradise does have its flaws too and there was ONLY one which was out of their control. Mosquitos, they took a liking to me and my partner. We used repellant along with the complimentary repellant in the villa regularly but it didnt prevent me from getting up to 50 bites. The staff lower a net during the turndown service and will plug in electric repellents and will light jos sticks but it didn't put these guys off.. It was like Christmas for them.
I would go back to the resort In a breath, but would have to do something more to deter the Mosquitos.
Hope this is enough to give a glimpse of 6 star quality. We took over 300 pictures which I will add soon.
If you want any more detail, feel free to ak.
Enjoy

Room Tip: Try a beach villa. There is a path from your deck that goes to the beach about 50 metres away.
3  Thank patrickdooling