“Lovely relaxing unspoilt resort - wish we could stay forever”
Review of Shantaa Koh Kood

Shantaa Koh Kood
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Ko Kut
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We stayed in a sweet which had plenty of storage for clothes with hangers and places to store our suitcases out of site. The outside bathroom was really lovely and uniquely designed. The view from our sweet through the palm trees was fabulous and it was a short walk to the hotel's private beach near the jetty. Although the jetty is not the prettiest, its not as bad as you'd think once you see it for real. The water is clear and bright blue-green and there's a beach bar where lunch can be taken, snorkel equipment, kayaks with life jackets, comfy beds, umbrellas and complimentary beach towels and bottled water.

On the other side of the jetty (reached by climbing from the beach up a few wooden steps, across the pier and down the other side) is a mostly empty soft sand beach that takes about 45 minutes to walk at a strolling pace. Although we did see quite a bit of washed up litter, it does not spoil the beach and is only found in a few places - areas not owned by any hotel. Although the Shantaa makes the effort to clear as much as possible, the beach is too long for them to clean all of it, and most of the litter is washed up overnight. It is only small things like empty bottles, and the usual items you'd expect washed up by the sea. At the far end of the beach are lovely dragon flies, butterflies and birds. The sea is crystal clear and it is amazing to find such an empty beach in Thailand these days.

The food is excellent, especially for such a remote island, and they make lovely fruit smoothies. Breakfast was a choice from a menu (not buffet) and was always delicious with sliced tropical fruit (pineapple, watermelon, papaya), eggs, bacon, muesli, yogurt. The free WI-FI is great but really unreliable and several times during the day there is no service - I suppose to be expected on an island but it could be a bit frustrating at times.

Korakot was lovely and helpful and she organised our transfers to/from the island. We were collected by car from our hotel in Bangkok and driven to the speedboat pier near Trat for the fast speedboat trip to the island. This ran smoothly and was a lovely trip and our room was ready on arrival.

On-site massages by masseuses trained at the local hospital were divine and are taken near the sea in a sheltered location near the rocks.

I hope any future developments in this area are sensitively done with respect for the environment in keeping with the Shantaa's philosophy.

The resort is near perfect, but there's a couple of small suggestions which would enhance the experience:

(1) A bit of fogging or other method for minimising the mosquitos would be welcome - they come out at dusk and attack you in the open-air bathroom and on your veranda, which means after dinner you're confined to your sweet/villa a bit early. The hotel provided heated coils but they don't stop all of them.
(2) A small bar, even if it closed by 10-11 - this would have made socialising with other guests easier.
(3) A small gym - my husband would be reluctant to stay much longer without access to one.
(4) A book for guests to sign out the kayaks in case those who aren't good swimmers get into trouble.
(5) Better maintained bicycles - the brakes were useless.

Room Tip: We stayed in a sweet which I understand has better storage than the villas and comfier veranda foam...
1  Thank Clara025
There are newer reviews for Shantaa Koh Kood

Reviewed December 20, 2012

We stay there at the low season for few day, we miss our ship to Koh Kood at Trat in the midde of nowhere but the Shantaa is so friendly to help me get an hotel in trat ,is my safer!!
The Hotel is silent , room are great .
We rent the bike and drive around the island and make some friends :)
Food and Massage are all great.

I will def come again even price is higher then many other hotel on this island.****

Room Tip: I have my front beach house.
1  Thank mccm11
Reviewed December 17, 2012

The hotel has very good rooms, restauration and grounds, however the beach is a little misleading and small right on the long concrret pier. You need to be aware of this to avoid mental disspointment that reduces your pleasure at the rest of the experience.

Positive:
- staff very helpful with us and small child.
- grounds - inside a tropical garden nice and calm (as per whole island !)
- accomodation - tastefully done small seperated bungalows with balcony. outside rear bathroom made to be like a tropical garden is very good.
- good baby friendly, we did not use an unoffial babysitting but it would have been posisblke for an hour or two

Negative:
- you need to be aware the beach is small (10m max) but never crowded, and is adjacent to the concrete pier. BUT nice longbeach just hop-over the pier (10meter) and you are there by yourself.
- accomodation has white curtains, so you get light/woken from 6:30am if you are like me
- environment - again lots of small plastic bottles, I would prefer a large closingt-jug with ice and glasses (or at least to be asked)

Overall:
- very good but be aware of beach view.
- good position to explore the island (motorbikes are 400thb/day) and 2 waterfalls

Room Tip: The hill rooms/bungalows are within 50-75m of the resturant, then +50m to teh beach. They are organi...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank tomp_travel_reviews
Reviewed December 10, 2012

We spent 8 nights on Shantaa in November, and found it to be a great choice.
After reading all the reviews, I was unsure it could live up to its billing, but sometimes they do!

Myself and wife had a great stay, nothing was too much trouble, and was surprised on a few occasions, at how they went that extra mile to make the whole experience memorable, from start to finish. Kora even found time to give us a personal cooking lesson!
I can’t find fault with Shantaa, it’s a lovely spot to chill, and switch off from the busy hectic lives most of us live.
The food was really really good, and always tasted fresh, and clean, and not overpriced.

We would like to think we could revisit Shantaa at some point in the future, and pray that Koh Kood holds on to its charm for as long as possible.

Thanks again, Martin & Kay

Room Tip: rooms - sweets are a nice treat,but also loved V5,exclent spot to watch the sunset
1  Thank chimp2000
Reviewed November 30, 2012

A treat booked for our 30th wedding anniversary-9 nights at Shantaa. Fabulous. Its an oasis of calm and relaxation. We felt we belonged within 24hrs.Location-v attractive sloping gardens to the sea(better than the pictures).Felt thoroughly spoilt in our discrete suite with delightful and individual open air bath for two and shower. Relaxed beach with clear calm water ideal for snorkelling and kayaking(provided) Spent a happy afternoon following a family of squid-lots of marine life. Long deserted beach adjacent to resort who provide beach mats etc to go walkabout with.Services all excellent-just ask and they will sort-anything from delicious picnics if you wander off, to towels and water tucked under the seat of the scooters that are so cheap to hire.
Food. What can I say. The dining experience was consistently marvelous.Each evening was an anticipated joy. We were able to go off menu and had fabulous blue crab and fish dishes in particular. The staff- having travelled quite a lot we were so refreshed by the genuine respect and service quality.Fon was our host and explained how she supported local people to work at the resort. It gave it a very personal and uncorporate feel which was great. Language barriers were easily navigated and we felt comfortable asking for advise about anything from scooter trips across the island(fun) to ice buckets to put a few beers in to watch the sunsets which were marvellous! I managed to let go of my inherent British distrust of people who wanted to help and was able to truly relax. No rip off, no catches, Shantaa really does provide a wonderful relaxing experience where the customer feels they are quietly and completely catered for. We will be going back!! Thanks Fon-from Pete and Chris

Room Tip: Small resort with around 10 standard bungalows(all discretely placed with wonderful views) and 5 upg...
2  Thank chrislane2
Reviewed November 25, 2012

We chose Shantaa for relaxing part of our honeymoon and were so pleased we did. We booked the honeymoon package with an added 3 nights.
We wanted for nothing - from our pick up in Bangkok to being delivered to Bangkok airport a week later. Staff were amazing thinking of everything. At one point I just thought about turning a fan on in the restaurant when next thing I know - its on!
We stayed in one of the Sweets which while not large are very well designed and had everything we needed from the safe to an umbrella, iPod dock and insect repellent. We really liked the outdoor bathroom too. It was cleaned daily and was always spotless.
The restaurant - well... just great. We ate there every night for the week and still had options to choose from. Everything was well priced, beautifully presented and very tasty.
The beach, while small, was comfortable and you have the access to the other long beach only a 2 min walk away. The pier could be distracting if you were after a complete 'castaway' feeling but we got enjoy watching the odd boat coming in.
We did a half day snorkeling tour and were again very well taken care of with lunch, water, towels and a first aid kit all packed in the boat ready for us. Just as well as by this time we'd got used to being taken care of and had wondered up to the boat just in our swimsuits and a sarong!
We will be raving about and dreaming of our stay at Shantaa for a very long time to come.

2  Thank Drellie
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Tripadvisor from times to times, I think your website should allow us the reviewers, to rate some of the exceptional resort an extra star period. This Shantaa Resort is way beyond believed. Actually, it kind of reminds me of my beloved Thailand from many years ago when the country was well known as the land of smiles. Our family had received one of the most outstanding services from all the staffs from Shantaa. Every staff’s members are well trained and attentive; they gave us their service 100 percents from the heart. It was one of the most memorable experience trips that we had ever taken even to the point that we thought we were vacationing at one my friend’s house.

This is how our story goes. We got picked up from our hotel in Bangkok by the Private Commuter Van arranged by Khun Nat; He is one of the co owners of Shantaa. The Commuter Van arrived on time at 7 am with one of the most courteous driver around Bangkok. Mr. Somchart was very professional and well manner. He always opens the doors for us, assist us with our luggage and even help us install the child seat that we brought along for our 1 yr old child. I am glad that I listen to Khun Nat about choosing to use the Private Commuter Van. At first I preferred to fly to Trat by Bangkok Airways but Khun Nat took his time to explain to me about the pros and cons of flying versus Private Van. At the end of the day I chose to use the Private Van and I am glad I did, the Commuter Van option was absolutely the perfect way to start our amazing vacation. The ride from Bangkok to Koh Kood take about 5 hrs we arrived on time at 12 noon and ready to transfer to Shantaa by taking the Koh Kood ferry express to the Island which is another 1 and a half hour ride. Shantaa arraigned the driver to meet us up at the pier, he did show up on time, greet us warmly and is very helpful with our luggage. The ride to the Shantaa only took about 5 minutes because Shantaa is located right next to the pier.

We were welcome by all of the front desk/restaurant staff from Shantaa and one of them helps us check in very quick and efficiently. They assigned us the Villa (V8) which I find it to be very comfortable and well maintained. By this time it is about 2 pm and we were all starving and ready to hit the very famous in house restaurant that everyone is talking about. Sure enough the foods here do not disappoint. This is the first time that I ate at the same restaurant for 6 days in a row and still have a craving for their food. The foods were absolutely amazing! The seafood was very fresh and they did prepare it very well. I had a lot of Thai foods in my life and believed me this place was just simply delicious. I also find the prices are fair and most of the dishes are around 150 baht and the seafood dishes are around 300 to 500 baht, which is awesome for the remote island like this one. Shantaa did not take advantage of their customers like many other resorts in Thailand. The service at the restaurant was also superb. One night my 3 yrs old son felt asleep, one of the waiters (Zero) automatically came up with a very creative way to make a portable bed by facing to chairs together. He was so thoughtful that he uses the clean towels as the bed sheet and brought along a portable mosquito net canopy. Wow, I am speechless after I saw what he did for us. I couldn’t thank him enough, as you know with two small children it is very difficult to enjoy any meals period.

The resort is located next to the small beach and the pier. One of the guests from Sydney was complaining about it to my wife but for us we found that on the other side of the pier there is a very long isolated beach with warm and clear water, it was totally amazing. Everyday we would take the Kayak (Complimentary) out and explored the Island sometime we would find a deserted beach and on some occasion we even got the whole beach to ourselves. I really felted like I am a castaway on some newly discovered Island. The sea was warm and cleared I can see many small fishes swimming around and crabs are also visible which made our kayaking around the island very pleasant experienced. Every morning I also got to enjoy jogging from the resort to the pier back and forth for about 45 minutes to burn off all my extra calories from the ice cold Singha beers. The highlight of our vacation is when we rented the Pickup truck from the resort to explore the island; they also let one of their staff Ms Fern to be our tour guide and nanny for the days free of charge, which was totally beyond my expectation. Ms Fern and the driver did provide us with excellent service; they help us with everything including carrying bottles water and clean towels around while all of us hike around 2 km to one of the remote Water Fall called Klong Chao (I am not sure about the name). This is the first time we ever swim in the fresh clean waterfall another amazing experienced.

Anyway you got the idea go with Shantaa I am confident that you won’t be disappointed. The fact that there is no A/c during 8:30 to 5:30 pm is totally acceptable because Shantaa is located at one of still undeveloped island in Thailand. If you are ready for one of the most amazing and relaxing beach vacation of your life, JUST DO IT!!, you owned it to yourself. As for us for sure we will be back for our next year vacation.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family