“My fav and will come again for sure”
Review of Shantaa Koh Kood

Shantaa Koh Kood
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Ko Kut
Reviewed December 20, 2012

We stay there at the low season for few day, we miss our ship to Koh Kood at Trat in the midde of nowhere but the Shantaa is so friendly to help me get an hotel in trat ,is my safer!!
The Hotel is silent , room are great .
We rent the bike and drive around the island and make some friends :)
Food and Massage are all great.

I will def come again even price is higher then many other hotel on this island.****

Room Tip: I have my front beach house.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mccm11

Reviewed December 17, 2012

The hotel has very good rooms, restauration and grounds, however the beach is a little misleading and small right on the long concrret pier. You need to be aware of this to avoid mental disspointment that reduces your pleasure at the rest of the experience.

Positive:
- staff very helpful with us and small child.
- grounds - inside a tropical garden nice and calm (as per whole island !)
- accomodation - tastefully done small seperated bungalows with balcony. outside rear bathroom made to be like a tropical garden is very good.
- good baby friendly, we did not use an unoffial babysitting but it would have been posisblke for an hour or two

Negative:
- you need to be aware the beach is small (10m max) but never crowded, and is adjacent to the concrete pier. BUT nice longbeach just hop-over the pier (10meter) and you are there by yourself.
- accomodation has white curtains, so you get light/woken from 6:30am if you are like me
- environment - again lots of small plastic bottles, I would prefer a large closingt-jug with ice and glasses (or at least to be asked)

Overall:
- very good but be aware of beach view.
- good position to explore the island (motorbikes are 400thb/day) and 2 waterfalls

Room Tip: The hill rooms/bungalows are within 50-75m of the resturant, then +50m to teh beach. They are organi...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank tomp_travel_reviews
Reviewed December 10, 2012

We spent 8 nights on Shantaa in November, and found it to be a great choice.
After reading all the reviews, I was unsure it could live up to its billing, but sometimes they do!

Myself and wife had a great stay, nothing was too much trouble, and was surprised on a few occasions, at how they went that extra mile to make the whole experience memorable, from start to finish. Kora even found time to give us a personal cooking lesson!
I can’t find fault with Shantaa, it’s a lovely spot to chill, and switch off from the busy hectic lives most of us live.
The food was really really good, and always tasted fresh, and clean, and not overpriced.

We would like to think we could revisit Shantaa at some point in the future, and pray that Koh Kood holds on to its charm for as long as possible.

Thanks again, Martin & Kay

Room Tip: rooms - sweets are a nice treat,but also loved V5,exclent spot to watch the sunset
1  Thank chimp2000
Reviewed November 30, 2012

A treat booked for our 30th wedding anniversary-9 nights at Shantaa. Fabulous. Its an oasis of calm and relaxation. We felt we belonged within 24hrs.Location-v attractive sloping gardens to the sea(better than the pictures).Felt thoroughly spoilt in our discrete suite with delightful and individual open air bath for two and shower. Relaxed beach with clear calm water ideal for snorkelling and kayaking(provided) Spent a happy afternoon following a family of squid-lots of marine life. Long deserted beach adjacent to resort who provide beach mats etc to go walkabout with.Services all excellent-just ask and they will sort-anything from delicious picnics if you wander off, to towels and water tucked under the seat of the scooters that are so cheap to hire.
Food. What can I say. The dining experience was consistently marvelous.Each evening was an anticipated joy. We were able to go off menu and had fabulous blue crab and fish dishes in particular. The staff- having travelled quite a lot we were so refreshed by the genuine respect and service quality.Fon was our host and explained how she supported local people to work at the resort. It gave it a very personal and uncorporate feel which was great. Language barriers were easily navigated and we felt comfortable asking for advise about anything from scooter trips across the island(fun) to ice buckets to put a few beers in to watch the sunsets which were marvellous! I managed to let go of my inherent British distrust of people who wanted to help and was able to truly relax. No rip off, no catches, Shantaa really does provide a wonderful relaxing experience where the customer feels they are quietly and completely catered for. We will be going back!! Thanks Fon-from Pete and Chris

Room Tip: Small resort with around 10 standard bungalows(all discretely placed with wonderful views) and 5 upg...
2  Thank chrislane2
Reviewed November 25, 2012

We chose Shantaa for relaxing part of our honeymoon and were so pleased we did. We booked the honeymoon package with an added 3 nights.
We wanted for nothing - from our pick up in Bangkok to being delivered to Bangkok airport a week later. Staff were amazing thinking of everything. At one point I just thought about turning a fan on in the restaurant when next thing I know - its on!
We stayed in one of the Sweets which while not large are very well designed and had everything we needed from the safe to an umbrella, iPod dock and insect repellent. We really liked the outdoor bathroom too. It was cleaned daily and was always spotless.
The restaurant - well... just great. We ate there every night for the week and still had options to choose from. Everything was well priced, beautifully presented and very tasty.
The beach, while small, was comfortable and you have the access to the other long beach only a 2 min walk away. The pier could be distracting if you were after a complete 'castaway' feeling but we got enjoy watching the odd boat coming in.
We did a half day snorkeling tour and were again very well taken care of with lunch, water, towels and a first aid kit all packed in the boat ready for us. Just as well as by this time we'd got used to being taken care of and had wondered up to the boat just in our swimsuits and a sarong!
We will be raving about and dreaming of our stay at Shantaa for a very long time to come.

2  Thank Drellie
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Tripadvisor from times to times, I think your website should allow us the reviewers, to rate some of the exceptional resort an extra star period. This Shantaa Resort is way beyond believed. Actually, it kind of reminds me of my beloved Thailand from many years ago when the country was well known as the land of smiles. Our family had received one of the most outstanding services from all the staffs from Shantaa. Every staff’s members are well trained and attentive; they gave us their service 100 percents from the heart. It was one of the most memorable experience trips that we had ever taken even to the point that we thought we were vacationing at one my friend’s house.

This is how our story goes. We got picked up from our hotel in Bangkok by the Private Commuter Van arranged by Khun Nat; He is one of the co owners of Shantaa. The Commuter Van arrived on time at 7 am with one of the most courteous driver around Bangkok. Mr. Somchart was very professional and well manner. He always opens the doors for us, assist us with our luggage and even help us install the child seat that we brought along for our 1 yr old child. I am glad that I listen to Khun Nat about choosing to use the Private Commuter Van. At first I preferred to fly to Trat by Bangkok Airways but Khun Nat took his time to explain to me about the pros and cons of flying versus Private Van. At the end of the day I chose to use the Private Van and I am glad I did, the Commuter Van option was absolutely the perfect way to start our amazing vacation. The ride from Bangkok to Koh Kood take about 5 hrs we arrived on time at 12 noon and ready to transfer to Shantaa by taking the Koh Kood ferry express to the Island which is another 1 and a half hour ride. Shantaa arraigned the driver to meet us up at the pier, he did show up on time, greet us warmly and is very helpful with our luggage. The ride to the Shantaa only took about 5 minutes because Shantaa is located right next to the pier.

We were welcome by all of the front desk/restaurant staff from Shantaa and one of them helps us check in very quick and efficiently. They assigned us the Villa (V8) which I find it to be very comfortable and well maintained. By this time it is about 2 pm and we were all starving and ready to hit the very famous in house restaurant that everyone is talking about. Sure enough the foods here do not disappoint. This is the first time that I ate at the same restaurant for 6 days in a row and still have a craving for their food. The foods were absolutely amazing! The seafood was very fresh and they did prepare it very well. I had a lot of Thai foods in my life and believed me this place was just simply delicious. I also find the prices are fair and most of the dishes are around 150 baht and the seafood dishes are around 300 to 500 baht, which is awesome for the remote island like this one. Shantaa did not take advantage of their customers like many other resorts in Thailand. The service at the restaurant was also superb. One night my 3 yrs old son felt asleep, one of the waiters (Zero) automatically came up with a very creative way to make a portable bed by facing to chairs together. He was so thoughtful that he uses the clean towels as the bed sheet and brought along a portable mosquito net canopy. Wow, I am speechless after I saw what he did for us. I couldn’t thank him enough, as you know with two small children it is very difficult to enjoy any meals period.

The resort is located next to the small beach and the pier. One of the guests from Sydney was complaining about it to my wife but for us we found that on the other side of the pier there is a very long isolated beach with warm and clear water, it was totally amazing. Everyday we would take the Kayak (Complimentary) out and explored the Island sometime we would find a deserted beach and on some occasion we even got the whole beach to ourselves. I really felted like I am a castaway on some newly discovered Island. The sea was warm and cleared I can see many small fishes swimming around and crabs are also visible which made our kayaking around the island very pleasant experienced. Every morning I also got to enjoy jogging from the resort to the pier back and forth for about 45 minutes to burn off all my extra calories from the ice cold Singha beers. The highlight of our vacation is when we rented the Pickup truck from the resort to explore the island; they also let one of their staff Ms Fern to be our tour guide and nanny for the days free of charge, which was totally beyond my expectation. Ms Fern and the driver did provide us with excellent service; they help us with everything including carrying bottles water and clean towels around while all of us hike around 2 km to one of the remote Water Fall called Klong Chao (I am not sure about the name). This is the first time we ever swim in the fresh clean waterfall another amazing experienced.

Anyway you got the idea go with Shantaa I am confident that you won’t be disappointed. The fact that there is no A/c during 8:30 to 5:30 pm is totally acceptable because Shantaa is located at one of still undeveloped island in Thailand. If you are ready for one of the most amazing and relaxing beach vacation of your life, JUST DO IT!!, you owned it to yourself. As for us for sure we will be back for our next year vacation.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank fay747400
Reviewed November 7, 2012 via mobile

We (two adults and a one year old) stayed at shantaa for 5 nights in November 2012, when the weather was great (mostly sunny except for sporadic rain patches in the evenings). We had originally only intended to stay three nights but enjoyed it so much that, when another couple with a child slightly older than ours had a bizarre disagreement with the hotel owners and left early, we booked ourselves in for two extra nights.

A little note on this strange couple and then on to the resort. A couple of days into our stay we were lazing by the pier beach bar when one half of the couple approached us and started complaining about how terrible the resort was and whether we had also considered moving. We didn't talk to them for long enough to establish whether they were visiting as part of a package tour through an agent and therefore what level of prior knowledge they had about the resort, but it appeared as if they had received the same pre-arrival guide to the resort and its facilities (16 pages including a FAQ and pictures ) that we had. They complained that the community pier had cars on it (it did from time to time), that the beach was polluted (the beach up to the next resort over was immaculately swept by staff every morning, whereas the next resort's beach was simply naturally occurring, coconuts and driftwood everywhere), and that the rooms were small (this was true). We later found out from the lovely owner and other guests that they has been approaching other guests and asking them to complain also, and had been making generally disrespectful comments towards the Thai staff (who I should add, nonetheless continued to serve them politely and courteously for the remainder of their stay).

I don't want to make snap judgements without having the full background of who they were (we tried to avoid them because they seemed like such a drag), what they had paid or how informed they were about the accommodation prior but from our experience of over two decades of traveling the world as backpackers, staying at 5-star resorts for business and now holidaying as mid-range family travelers, (with some notable exceptions) most of the time we feel you roughly get what you pay for (and how much you enjoy a place tends to depend mostly on who you are with - though I don't wish to cast aspersions without knowing the couple in this case).

We came to Shantaa expecting a lovely resort style mid-range option suitable for a small family on a fairly remote but beautiful island, not perfect but easy, accessible and relaxing - which is exactly what we found.

Sure it had a few negatives - the rooms (although lovely) were small and didn't have AC during the day (understandable for a remote island!); the room verandah was several feet above ground and had no railing (small child hazard, adult supervision required!); it wasn't the prettiest pier on the island (concrete) and if I owned the resort I'd put the beach bar on the other side of the pier facing the beautiful beach next door; and finally you couldn't saunter down the road to get lunch somewhere else - it was a long walk to 'town' (although the motorbike rental was the cheapest we saw on the island).

But the positives, especially for a small family like ours, comfortably made this a 4.5 star experience: 1) the resort was on a lovely beach with crystal clear waters: 2) all the water equipment - kayaks, toys for kids etc were free (other resorts we visited that were cheaper charged guests for these); 3) food was delivered pretty much anywhere we asked - to the beach, to the room (we ate on our verandah each night as we couldn't leave the baby unattended while sleeping) ; 4) the staff were very happy to babysit for free for an hour or so when we wanted to go kayaking (and we felt very safe leaving our son with them, they really seemed to love kids, beyond the already strong bond many Thais seem to have with kids); 5) the central Thai food from the restaurant was excellent and we didn't get bored of it (try the geng massaman!); 6) staff were very welcoming and attentive to our needs.

In sum, travel is a highly subjective experience (hence the success of tripadvisor) and if you come to it thinking the world is out to cheat you, it probably will seem to be that way. But shantaa, for a family that was under no illusions that we could find some hidden paradise in Thailand with some perfect resort for under $150 a night, was a wonderful place to unwind for 5 days and one we would have no hesitation coming back to.

• Stayed: November 2012