“It's just okay (as long as you're not too picky with accommodation)”
Review of Away Koh Kood

Away Koh Kood
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Ko Kut
in your heart ;p
“It's just okay (as long as you're not too picky with accommodation)”
Reviewed February 17, 2012

Advice about how to go to Koh Kood : Taking the bus from bangkok is probably easier for going to the pier to get speed boat to Koh kood,, the bus takes about 5-6 hours..if you're booking with Siriwhite Speed Boat, they provide a transfer (im not sure if its free or cost about 60 baht)from the bus terminal to the pier, but flying to Trat Airport, only choice you have is taking a private van or private sedan which costs about 1100 Baht( with Koh Chang Minibus which u have to book it through their own website only) or 1800 Baht (with Bangkok Limousine which is a company providing transfers to various places from Trat Airport) It takes 1 hour from the airport to the Laem Sok pier where u get speed boats to Koh Kood. If you travel to Koh Chang, its much easier flying to Trat since the airport is way closer to the Koh Chang ferry pier and they also provide the share van transfer to your resort in Koh Chang, u dont even have to book it, u just pay when u arrive at Trat Airport.

All in all , the staffs are very nice and helpful even though it's probably hard for tourists since they probably dont speak english very well. It's all the same at any hotels of Centara that the staffs arent that fluent in english. even their 5 stars hotels.
I just dont like their accommodation that much since its been run down but it looks friendly with the environment. only thing i love from this place is that i could see a very nice view of the beach from my bed. I would choose to wake up early in the morning every day here in Koh Kood with the nice view and the tranquilment that I will never be able to find in Bangkok.

if you dont mind paying high price but getting low quality of accommodation, Away would be one of your good choice.. the room doesnt suit the price shown on booking website. it's been run down,especially the bathroom. i dont recommend this place for people who are "sensitive" with toilet and bathroom. since the toilet design makes the staffs hard to clean it all up so i could see hmm dirty stuff on it. the water has some kind of salty taste too, I had to use drinking water this time to brush my teeth.and since the resort have some kind of "Eco policy" , they save everything they can save. I totally understand that they try to be friendly to the environment as much as they can but im not sure if this policy goes well with hotel industry since most of people expects good room, good food, good services, and good facilities especially when staying at high star-rating hotels. I really want Away to develop their accommodation and their policy. i think they could probably be better than this.
I rent a motorbike and search for some other places for hanging out too , Tinkerbell resort and Shantaa resort is one of resorts i recommend for having a good meal , they have more food to choose on the menu and good quality of food serves (especially at Shantaa, but its just not beach front resort, u can still get panoramic view of the sea though). and Tinkerbell is probably one of the best resorts in Koh Kood with its location and environment, the white sand with clear water is just right in front of u, i didnt see the room though but i think it would worth more staying at Tinkerbell.

just check urself first what you like and what u r like before booking so that u wouldnt regret it later. it is a risk too booking an accommodation.

Room Tip: ocean view room is stunning if u want to wake up and see the panoramic view of koh kood sea. but it...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank NocturnalSom
CRM-Astudo, Public Relations Manager at Away Koh Kood, responded to this review, March 4, 2012
Greetings from Away Koh Kood team

Thank you for taking the time to compose this review of your stay with us just recently. If I may just clear up and correct you on a few points as below. Firstly and most crucially we are not part of the Centara chain any more having just recently gone under a management back in September 2011. Many improvements have been made in this short space of time.

The very rustic and natural theme of Away is indeed very unique, although in your case perhaps mistaken for run down. I am sorry to hear that this may have impaired you overall enjoyment of our resort as on the whole, with your comments in regards to good service and great views, it sounds as if you very much enjoyed your stay with us. You are quite right about our 'Eco' theme, which is not only a part of the Away brand experience, but part of the many challenges brought about by being located on such a wonderful untouched Island Paradise.

Our sincere best wishes and hopes to see you here at Away again one day.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Czech first
  • Thai first
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed February 14, 2012

It was a memorable trip with a group of friends last month at Away. Koh Kood is still virgin and fresh. I liked the time when I woke up and saw panoramic sea view from my bangalow ! Our group spent half day enjoying snockering then had lunch privately on the beach. Thanks to Away 's staffs. Food was fresh and delicious. If anyone is looking for a beautiful and quite place with good service, Away is definitely your first choice.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Msuensil
CRM-Astudo, Public Relations Manager at Away Koh Kood, responded to this review, February 19, 2012
Greetings from Away Koh Kood Team

Our sincere thanks to you for writing this review in regards to your recent stay with us here. Indeed, it is often mentioned by guests that the views from their room were, indeed as you put it yourself “beyond expectation”, such is the position of our resort right on the beach and waterfront.

I will be sure to pass on your kind praise of our staff and their attentive service methods, again something that we are pleased to see often mentioned in glowing terms. We do our best to please that is for sure.

We hope to invite you back as one of our growing ranks of the honoured returning guests sometime very soon. Once again, our sincere thanks from all the team here at Away Koh Kood.
Denmark
Reviewed February 14, 2012

This place is so cosy, not the most fancy though. We loved staying here, the staff was really nice and the food was excellent. We prefer to pay a little more for food from a clean kitchen and this place was spotless....

Room Tip: We stayed at the beach front and loved it there. I you do not mind to walk a bunch of stairs it woul...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
CRM-Astudo, Public Relations Manager at Away Koh Kood, responded to this review, February 21, 2012
Greetings from Away Koh Kood Team

Many thanks for your kind words. It means a great deal to us when our happy guests make the time and effort to write a few lines about how enjoyable their stay with us was. Indeed, “cosy” is a word I have used myself when speaking to my friends about our resort as it really does have that kind of rustic, natural homely feel. Part of this homely warmth we think comes from the kindness and attention our staff give to our guests, something it seems you have also experienced.

Like many first class chef’s ours at Away who is indeed one of those who will accept nothing other than and spotless and efficient kitchen from where he can create his delights. I shall be sure to pass on to him and all our staff your kind words, which will as ever mean so much to them.

We hope to see you back at Away in the very near future.
sydney
Reviewed February 12, 2012

This uppretentious destination is getting to be discovered by to many people.I suppose we cannot keep a good secret for to long. since last time visited (about a year ago) the transport to the island is now via a fast ferry, Yes its is enclosed and Airconditioned.....unbelievable.
The Beach that since appeared is white sand lapped by crystal clear turquoise blue water. Just beautiful to be in Away Koh Kood "away" from the hype and commerce of Bangkok, Phuket, or even now Samui.
Away offers very well appointed and spacious accomodation and the beach side villas although nice I would probably chose the newly constructed hill side Loft Cabins amongst the Trees but still with the panoramic views of the Bay.
Food and service was well above my expection. some of the soups were delicious and good enough for any five star dinning room.
I wish I had more time there to soke up life as it was meant to be; and quickly started thinking about how I am going to get Away again to this destination !!

Room Tip: All accomodation is well spread out but if you want seclusion I would recommend the hill side villas...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Greetings from Away Koh Kood Team.

Thank you for your kind comments and gracious comparison.

The new Koh Kood Express ferry service, as it is known, is indeed a massive boost to the island as the boat is so luxuriously comfortable and as you say, enclosed with air-conditioning. It makes the entire journey that much more pleasurable now, although some still prefer the excitement of the open deck speed boats and similar. It is great to have that choice also.

We too believe the newly built hilltop Duplex Bungalows will prove to be very popular as they are as you say right up at the highest point of the hillside among the trees and with superb panoramic views of the bay in front.

As you say, holidays are always too short in today’s fast paced working life, but please do think to come back and join us again when you feel the need to escape from your everyday life.

From all the staff here, our sincere thanks again for your kind words.
Bangkok
Reviewed February 11, 2012

I was at Away Koh Kood for 2 nights. To say the least, I wish I could have stay there for a few more days! Thai food was delicious and tasty. We also had a dinner on the beach over sunset; the setting was magnificent. The room was simple but comfortable; again who would spend their days in the bangalows. As far as the services go, I dropped my glasses into the sea right when I was getting onto the speedboat to catch the ferry back to land. The staff didn't hesitate and jumped into the water, dove down and retrieved the glasses back for me. I would go back there again.

Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank jsirikan
CRM-Astudo, Public Relations Manager at Away Koh Kood, responded to this review, March 1, 2012
Greetings from Away Koh Kood Team

Thank you very much indeed for your kind words, indeed we too wish you could have stayed with us for more than just two nights. Perhaps one day we will be lucky enough to see you here again as one of our growing number of returning guests.

As ever I shall be sure to send your kind words on to our chefs at Away, their food always the centre point of positive comments it seems. Dinner on the beach is indeed one of our best new additions as the setting is the most idyllic one can get, and due to the unique spot we have out at the end of the headland on the bay, totally private with none one ever passing by.

Very glad to hear out staff managed to ‘Life Save’ your eye glassed for you, our training programs seem to be working! Indeed though, it is true to say that if there is one thing that Away prides itself on very much it is that we have staff that will go to any ends to make guests stays as happy as they can ever be.

Once again, our sincere thanks for your kind words and please do contact us direct here if you wish to come back and stay with us again.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 5, 2012

I have just stayed at Away Koh Kood for the second time within about 14 months. When deciding to go back to the island (which I totally love) I was found it difficult to chose between returning to Away or taking another choice around the bay. However, as I did like the quiet atmosphere, I decided to give Away another chance even though my previous stay was far from being overwhelming.
Having spent a second time, I can see the direction the place is going and it certainly is not improving - quite the opposite.
My key observations:
1) the resort is going to some length to make guests aware of environmental friendliness. Given resources are tight on the island and everything has to be shipped, I get the point. One of the reasons for coming to the island is the fact that it is not as overdeveloped as Samui or Phuket. However, I don't buy their true motives. Saving water, electricity, rationing electricity, not having fridges in rooms is all very well. However, if at the same time shower gel, shampoo, etc. come in little plastic tubes (and not e.g. stone ware jars) and the recent addition of an artificial beach and pool are absolutely anti-eco.
2) I have been to many eco-resorts, which were in immaculate condition. The first thing that strikes you is that the rooms feel run down, in poor repair state (dirty, worn furniture. Rusty, wobbly fans in rooms, dirty lamp shades in rooms and common areas, sticky bathroom floors that never get cleared it seems and a stain from the previous tenant in the sink that I removed myself after three days). You can be eco and clean at the same time. However, they seem to mistake Eco with 'letting it decay and rot'. They can add as many beaches and pools as they want, if the rest does not fit, this is no compensation.
Even the new beach looks very sad. It's getting flooded each night with the high tide and no one seems to clean it up. Raking it probably only takes two staff members and hour in the morning. But people don't care and certainly are not rushed to do anything fast.
3) Service staff quality is low at best. The restaurant was empty in evenings (one table taken at most), waiting staff speaks little English and can't help with easiest questions, e.g. when I asked what kind of fish the 'catch of the day' is, neither the waiter nor the kitchen staff understood the question and could not respond to it. I have traveled to Thailand extensively and for this kind of place, this is the poorest I have ever come across.
4) During our stay, they were installing some security cameras around the restaurant and reception area. While this is ok, doing so during breakfast and dinner service is unacceptable. However, again typical for the attitude that is not guest focussed
5) Business services are not existing, the internet connection is a joke (slow, unstable). I had to do some work during my stay and a neighboring hotel was kind enough to offer me a day room with good connectivity at a low charge.
6) Last but not least one word about the shower rooms. I don't really want to know how they operate, however what you can see is stale sewage water immediately below the floor boards in the outside shower, directly below your feet. While having a shower, strong sewage smells come up and make having a shower virtually impossible unless you want to suffocate from holding your breath.

I truly can't recommend Away for any kind of stay. I can't help the feeling of getting ripped off and not receiving any value for your money. While the room rates for the higher category hotels are quite high on the island in general, I would recommend another choice nearby, spend a little extra, but get so much more in extra value, quality and atmosphere.

Away - stay away.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank epicentre
CRM-Astudo, Public Relations Manager at Away Koh Kood, responded to this review, February 7, 2012
We are sincerely sorry to hear you did not fully enjoy your stay with us at Away Resort, Koh Kood.

We thank you for drawing our attention to these issues you encountered as it helps us greatly in combating these occurrences arising again.

One of the main challenges of running a resort such as Away is striking the perfect balance between remaining pure, natural and 'eco-friendly', whilst catering to the whims and conveniences guests expect from an upscale resort.

As a matter of course we continue to make improvements to our resort operational systems and how we carry out our day-to-day maintenance and cleanliness checks.

Sending you our very best wishes,
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed January 30, 2012

I have been at away resort koh kood 3 days and 2 nights for my vacation. I have to say that it really helps me to away from my work stress and i can feel that i am fully recharged. It is so peaceful to stay there, nice room with beach view, and good food there. My best dish is hot mushroom soup. It is so delicious and yummy and very unique cooking. I really love it and have to reorder it again and gain. I wish i can be there again and longer days to enjoy my happy vacations there soon, probably in march.

Room Tip: Beach one is the best.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends