“A terrific address”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Divar Island
lyon
“A terrific address”
Reviewed January 21, 2012

A very good address for having an ayurveda treatment
Yoga, Doctors, treatments, rooms, food, all is perfect. A nice place to take some times for yourself and to have a kind of retreat. Do not expect to visit, this is not the point, better to stay on the island and enjoy to be with yourself. All the team is helpful and smiling. A very good experience. I just try to plan another visit

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Valentine b

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Burlington, Vermont
Reviewed November 8, 2011

I first went the ayurveda retreat 5 years ago for a much overdue panchakarma rejuvination program and was thoroughly satisfied on every level with the cleanliness, the professionalism of the medical staff, the food is fantastic, and the peaceful atmosphere is unique to sometimes, maybe most of the time, chaotic India. I have been to India 36 trips in my life and feel I know the culture and people very well but I would say the highlight of that trip was meeting and getting to know the owners Kuntilal and his dear wife Rekha. You can go the length and breadth of this great nation and better people you will not meet, and I have met many in my years over there. If you go, take the time to get to know them, you will not regret it.
I returned this year again for panchkarma, 3 weeks, and i can only add that the programs overall quality has only improved, yet the humble first class nature of all there, from top to bottom has remained intact.

This place is a diamond in the rough in all respects, I cannot recommend it enough.

Best Regards

Jefferson Carr

Vermont Lantern Company,USA

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Jefferson C
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed November 2, 2011

Was disappointed with the resort in general. Although scenic location and well maintained, the place lacked soul

On a last minute business trip to Goa, with other city hotels running full, we opted to stay at Devaaya as we had a meeting on Divar Island itself

We were warned that it was a non-alcoholic, vegetarian resort...however, we were not prepared to wake up to No Tea-Coffee! The kettle in the room ( with no cups or glasses) was only meant for drinking hot water... there was no room service, a sleepy walk to the kitchen and some convincing later, they agreed to make us some tea, which came after an impatient wait of half an hour!

The air-conditioning was ineffctive in the room and the bathrooms were ill-equipped- not even a soap dish to place the soaps on

The dinner didn't look appetising so we drove to Panjim for some good wholesome goan food

Breakfast the next morning was equally disappointing - for a wellness resort to not serve fresh fruit or juice? No tea-Coffee on the buffet again ... maybe that is part of the Detox therapy that their guests normally undergo; then how come the food items on the buffet were all labelled "VPK' - for Vatha-Pitta-Kapha... foods that cause these conditions and hence should be avoided??!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank Kirti66
Devaaya, Manager at Devaaya Ayurveda & Nature cure Centre, responded to this review, November 11, 2011
Everything at Devaaya is designed for the guest to derive the maximum benefit from Ayurveda and Naturopathy. We are NOT a leisure or business hotel and we make it very clear to all our guests that we cater to people who are looking for authentic Ayurveda or Naturopathy therapies and treatments. To really know what we offer, one has to come with the intention of experiencing real Ayurveda and we recommend a minimum stay of a week. We made an exception after your repeated requests as you’ll needed a place to stay the night and on the basis that you’ll would be availing of our full services later. Below are clarifications to your statements.
Coffee is not served at the centre and alcohol, smoking, pan masala, zarda and non-vegetarian food is not permitted and is clearly mentioned on the website.
Bed tea is not served as Yoga is done on an empty stomach. In fact there is no room service unless our Doctor instructs, for those guest / patient who cannot come to the diet centre because of certain treatments.
The electric kettle kept in the room is for heating water that is required to take internal medications and is not a tea/coffee maker.
The guest can change the settings of the air-conditioning with the remote control kept in the room.
We serve cooked breakfast at 8.30am (after Yoga) and fruits / juices later at about 11am as per Ayurveda it is advised not to mix cooked food and fruits.
The dishes at the buffet table are marked with Vatta or Pitta or Kapha ( V. P. K ) or a combination of the three. Guests / patients are advised to help them selves to the dishes appropriate for them e.g. a person of Vatta / Pitta constitution needs to take foods marked V & P only.
We understand that there are many guests who are not very familiar with all the aspects of Ayurveda & Naturopathy and we try our best to help them however it requires a little time.
Its difficult for one to feel the ‘Soul’ of Devaaya by just staying for a few hours between business meetings!
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed October 8, 2011

After spending a couple of weeks in India, I wanted to spend a week where I could really relax and enjoy the specialty of Ayurveda. I couldn't have found a better place to stay than Devaaya.

During the week that I spent in Devaaya, I got the chance to get amazing treatments and massages. Everything you could possibly need for a week or more of peace and quiet and some time for yourself is there. The rooms are beautiful. I felt immediately at home and spent many hours enjoying the mesmerizing views from my room and all around the hotel. The food is the best vegetarian and Indian food I have ever eaten, just delicious. The staff are very friendly and always more than welcome to provide you anything you need.

If you are looking for time for yourself and pure relaxation in a mesmerizing and peaceful environment, with great food, service and excellent ayurveda treatments, this is the place for you.

Thank you very much again to everyone at Devaaya for the excellent stay.

Dorien

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank DorienDV
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed July 1, 2011

I visited Devaaya (from Atlanta, Georgia) for seven nights in May of 2011. I was traveling alone and didn't really know what to expect so I had no expectations. Knowing that I wanted to stay an an ayurveda resort in Goa, I located Devaaya on Trip Advisor. I booked my stay completely by e-mail, and although I was nervous about whether or not someone would be there to pick me up at the airport, I had NOTHING to worry about!

Resort/Facility: The grounds are absolutely stunning and manicured to perfection. There are constantly people working to keep it this way, and their hard work is obvious and pays off. My room was very comfortable and had a lovely view (including a western toilet and hot water). I was in one of the two story villas overlooking a field and some of the river. Beautiful! All of the facilities were very well taken care of (breakfast area, yoga/meditation center, spa, pool) and very enjoyable. I spent a lot of time at the pool, and I wished I had brought more than one swim suit.

Staff: Where to start - the people at Devaaya are really what made my experience what it was. From my driver, to housekeepers, cooks, servers, instructors, tour guide, receptionist and of course the Manager, Amriita - they were all so hospitable, friendly and always willing to help and please. They truly made me feel very special with all of the attention and care. I deeply missed everyone the moment I left!

Food: Hands down, the best Indian food I've ever had, and potentially the best food ever. Everything is cooked in a very healthy style, but you would never know based on the taste. Every meal is different, although certain items will be repeated, which is FINE because you'll start to look forward to certain items. If you allowed based on the diet the doctor gives you, I highly recommend trying a little bit of everything they are serving at lunch and dinner, rather than just trying one or two things. Small portions of everything is the way to go! The teas offered at breakfast are also amazing - NO caffeine allowed though, so prepare yourself.

Divar Island/Goa day trips: Keep in mind that Devaaya is on a island, so you can't walk to a market or really anywhere for that matter. They don't really want you leaving for the entire day so that you can get both/all of your treatments and so that your diet/detox isn't interupted, but you really have to take day trips to see Goa. You can plan your treatments ahead of time around your day trip schedule. Check out the sunset and Anjuna and/or Vagator beach, Mapusa market on Fridays (my favorite thing!), Sakahari Spice Farm and elephant rides, Panjim market (and shopping that surrounds it). You need cash pretty much everywhere. I didn't bring travelers checks but just got all my money from ATM's.....the driver will take you to one anytime you need it.

Overall, I would highly recommend Devaaya to anyone who is looking for relaxation, detoxification, a sun tan, amazing service and incredible food. This resort is very laid back and just what I was in the need for. It was a dream come true and I will definitely go back! Next time, for longer than 7 days. Feel free to contact me with questions!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
5 Thank Andria D
St. Annes
Reviewed April 19, 2011

This hotel is so quite. It's set on Divar Island, surrounded by fields. It has a wonderful pool, beautiful gardens, fabulous views. It is a meat/alcohol/coffee/tea free resort. The spa treatments are wonderful, but if you have issues with being naked in front of same sex people, I wouldn't go here!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank abellfairclough
Rome, Italy
Reviewed March 2, 2011

I spent 2 weeks in Davayya. Not enough!!!
I'll defenetly go back next year in the same season for at least 4 weeks. The standard room are very basic but very well equipped. The housekeeping is not exactly the top,(sometimes they forgot to clean up the floor in the room and also in the toilette!!!!!
The food is EXCELLENT, in 2 weeks I never had twice the same dish, but the waiters are very rude. That's too bad

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
Hyatt Place Goa Candolim
#13 of 64 in Candolim
Divar Island Guest House Retreat
The Zuri White Sands Goa Resort & Casino

Been to Devaaya Ayurveda & Nature cure Centre? Share your experiences!