“Best part of my trip”

Book In Advance
More Info
$99.00*
and up
All Inclusive Private Karakul Lake Day Trip from...
Ranked #1 of 54 things to do in Kashi
Reviewed August 8, 2013

The scenery is great, stay with locals , not at company yurt next to the ugly building, we travelled with Uighur Tours in Kashgar , they have friends who offered great welcome to us

2  Thank BHunter777
"long drive"
"natural beauty"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Karakal lake is at most a two day trip. I would take the bus out there for 55rmb, and then hitchhike back for about 50rmb. Don't do the agencies, as they are over 2000rmb. Avoid the first set of yurts, as they are mostly touristy.

I was told that the lake is cold in summer. Not this summer! At this time I don't think you need to bring warm clothes, although one other website said it gets cold in August. Not true, the weather s very warm this time of year, and that is regular for this season!

3  Thank Michael C
Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

At the time of our visit in 2011, riots had just occurred in Kashgar, so military presence was strong both in kashgar and along the highway to karakul. This limited our ability to explore the area freely. Still, the lake was worth the trip. It was one of the highlights of our trip.

1  Thank EthanandJocelyn
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I drove from Kashgar to Lake Karakul as part of an organised tour, all friends from the same group. I found the experience to be one of the highlights of our Silk Road adventure from Xian to Kashgar.

First, the drive encompasses stunning scenery, almost completely unspoiled except for a few roadside Kirghiz dwellings. This trip was not without challenges - first, getting off the bus at Lake Karakul, be prepared for the elevation. I felt very faint at first. Its not the most beautiful Lake I've ever seen, but it didn't look like any other that I've ever seen (I'm from Minnesota, the land of 10,000 Lakes). The Wild Mountain scenery, surrounding Yurts, Kirghiz shepherds on camels, all added up to a sight I will never forget. The highlight for me was the small herd of wild Bactrian ((two humped) camels, some of the last in the world or so we were told.

There is a small restaurant near the Lake which serves decent Uyghur fare. Restroom facilities were a few wooden planks behind a low wall. As this was early spring, everything smelly was frozen, so tolerable, but beware of you are sensitive to such things. On the return drive we got caught in a modest size sandstorm. Not really scary, but perfect for the situation given the location. All in all, a once in a lifetime experience.

2  Thank 872JulieT