“Essential to understanding Kashgar culture”

Kashgar Offbeat Tours
Ranked #2 of 9 Tours in Kashi
More attraction details
Owner description: Ablimit"Elvis"Ghopor “Professional English-Speaking Guide” With over 30 years of guide experience in the Xinjiang Province, Ablimit “Elvis” Ghopor has introduced hundreds of visitors to a true local experience. Found in the pages of the Lonely Planet and highly recommended on TripAdvisor, Elvis can always be found at the Old Teahouse in Kashgar. Elvis’s services include arranging tours to the weekly village markets, teaching visitors how to choose the perfect rug, and helping others to discover the rich art and music of the Uyghur culture as well as arranging treks to nearby historical and geographical sites like Lake Karakul and the Taklamakan Desert. Let Elvis help you arrange personal and semi-guided to the Kashgar region. He can tailor a tour to meet your schedule and interests.
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I also found Elvis on lonely planet. They mention four guides for the area, but I think he is the only one you need to see.

The other guides are for outside Kashgar, such as going to tashgurgan, which I believe is best to go alone.

Elvis will show you around the city, and the daily cultural life of Kashgar. He knows many shopkeepers, but he specializes in carpet makers and musical store. He will take you to see the real Persian rugs, not the touristy places, and explain what goes into the craft of making the rugs. the carpet makers he knows are extremely knowledgable, true and tough craftsmen.

But Elvis is most familiar with the instrument makers in the old town. I visited several store owners who were master instrument makers, who's work is displayed in museums. Many will perform in front of you in the store, or are making the instruments in front of you. these artisans have small storefronts and we pass by them everyday, without notice.

You can tailor the tour to your time schedule. Elvis speaks very good English. Most importantly, he knows the "inside" story of Kashgar cultural life. Walking around with him, you learn so much more about the life around you, and I felt much more a part of the city here than when I was touring the city alone. I feel touring with him was essential to my trip here, and made my last day here worth the whole entire trip.

To contact him call his cell phone: 13899136195
You can also email him at:elvisablimit@hotmail.com

I'll add his website as well, in case you want to research him before contacting him:

4  Thank Michael C
There are newer reviews for Kashgar Offbeat Tours

Reviewed July 16, 2013

We learned of Elvis through the Lonely Planet guide. His English is excellent. He made our trip a success. He also helped arrange a trip to Lake Karakul, guided us through the mosques and other local sights. He is very knowledable on the traditions and culture of the Uyghur people. We recommend him highly.

6  Thank yountswe
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I have known Elvis for at least 10 years and always meet up with him in Kashgar. He is very knowledgeable regarding Uyghur rugs and qilims as well as local traditions. His English is good
and I heartily recommend him to anyone who plans to travel to Kashgar.

5  Thank Travel-Central-Asia
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I wanted an English speaking guide in Kashgar to help get me around and tell me more. Elvis was so much more, he really made my time easier and completely transformed my trip into a better experience. He helped arrange visits outside of Kashgar into the mountains, suggested other little known historic sites that were the most unique part of the trip. He helped me find a local hotel with a better location and more local feel than the tourist hot spots. He showed me a great local restaurant who even showed me how they cook. I studied Central Asia and know much about its history. I found Elvis very knowledgeable, answering questions about the region. I was looking for a local Persian type carpet since I grew up with them. Elvis helped me find the real deal. Carpets from Kashgar use different colors, designs, and use local wool. Many carpets in the bazaar are not local, they look like those from the Middle East and aren't even made of wool! Elvis is very honest and trusting him made my vacation. I recommend him to anyone going to Kashgar.

5  Thank ChrisMaP
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Elvis is a calm, sweet soul with lot of knowledge on traditions, art and culture of this landscape. He can customize your travels within the region according to your interest. He took me to very interesting and wonderful local restaurants in Kashgar and a whole day walking tour with also a fun donkey-cart ride around the city to amazing architectural gems and wonderful areas with exceptional sight seeings. I highly recommend him as a wonderful guide. I have met him in 2002 and since then visited the area 4 more times and I always find him whenever I go back to this magical landscape. He is the best bridge between this sensitive, wonderful local culture and tourists. Highly recommend him if you have an interest to learn about the area through it's people, history, culture, food, music, arts , nature and it's soul.

7  Thank dervishsema