Barony Tarim Petroleum Hotel
$35
$26
$37
Kashgar Old Town Youth Hostel(Kashi)(Great Value!)
$8
$108
$86
  • Restaurant
TripAdvisor
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed September 22, 2012

I would never wish this hotel on my worst enemy. The towels and bedding was grey and had seen better years. This is suppose to be a 4 star hotel, on a good day it was a 2 star and its fully booked because the travel agents tell you that its the best in town. Not sure if I can say anything positive about this place,
Breakfast as Rice Gruel and Mush…….no idea what it was but looked like it reads.
"Orange Juice" had been nowhere near an orange ever.
Cost RMB1 1280 per night, it was a rip off.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 22, 2012

We stayed in this hotel 5 nights in June.

Pros: Good sized rooms, good air-con, clean.
Bed linen changed daily unless you advise otherwise.
The doorman has a great hat!

Neutral: very hard beds, (others may see this as a negative, but we don’t like them too soft)
Carpets starting to look a little tired.
Ok breakfast with ok choice, less than in most of our other Chinese hotels.
Obligatory smell of smoke in the rooms.
Reasonable location. Not in the centre of town so its a walk of over 20 mins, or a very cheap cab ride (5RMB for up to 3km).
Neighbourhood ok and feel quite safe walking (but still the usual need to dodge the cars & bikes crossing the road). A couple of reasonable restaurants within 5 mins walk.

Cons: The shower was not sealed so water ran down the shower walls, under the shower base and spread all over the bathroom floor. Floor tiles are shiny so its quite dangerous. You have to mop the floor after each shower.
Also soundproofing was not good. We were on the 2nd floor. There are some private dining rooms on this floor also and one night we could hear the revelry well into the night.
In room internet was intermittent (wired, no wifi) – a staff member had to reset the network config on my netbook to get it to go. It worked for 30 mins or so then dropped out cos it couldn’t se the hotel host. Each time we wanted to use the internet same story – go to the desk, find someone who speaks English, explain, wait for the guy to visit the room & fix it, then it ran for a while then it dropped out. I’ve never had this problem at any other hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 20, 2012

The hotel located opposite of the old town wall and next to the hospital, 15 mins walk to Id Kah mosque via local market street. The hotel quiet nice, the breakfast got quiet plenty of selections. I'm satisfied.

Room Tip: Room on the back side is quieter.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 26, 2011

Apart from the fact that the kitchen staff were sent home on our first evening so there wasn't any food to be had, the hotel was good. The beds were VERY hard and I got a sore hip one night. However I thought I'd lost my purse and staff were so good helping me to find it. They even watched the CCTV camera to make sure I hadn't dropped it outside my room. I later found it under the bed! No English spoken here so a guide or somebody with Uygur or Chinese is a must to help you get by. The breakfast buffet was good and even served coffee. Karakul Lake is a must see but make sure you have your passport with you, the Frontier Post is a lot of red tape but worth the trouble as the lake is stunning

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank valgardening
Reviewed October 28, 2010

The rooms are nice enough and clean. Little fridge, water boiling pot in the room. Fresh fruits upon arrival and turn down service if you like.

The front desk staff didn't speak English but the young woman in the gift shop does. There was also a man who spoke English, maybe a manager. The breakfast buffet was included and very nice. There is an omelet/egg station. I'm vegetarian and staff were good with explaining what I could/could not eat (I have it written in Chinese). I was charged once for the computer/internet in the business center but used it daily. There is also internet access in the room.

The shower stalls seemed like an after thought and water would sometimes run across the floor but they brought extra towels. The carpet in the halls is dated. The location is good so I felt it was a good value for the money. When you travel with a group you need this kind of comfort level. It meets this need and the comfort level. I would stay at the hostel if I were on my own.

The employees seem to want to be helpful and friendly but are not so comfortable with English. Chinese smokers seem rude in comparrison but I also heard Chinese getting at them (I wouldn't be rude about it) for smoking so do not let it ruin your trip.

• Stayed: September 2010