“Good choice for Taishan”
Review of Gaoye Hotel

Gaoye Hotel
Ranked #1 of 121 Hotels in Taishan
Reviewed December 15, 2013

I have been visiting Taishan for 10 years and have seen a significant improvement in hotels in that time. Previously stayed in The Gardens hotel and more recently The Phoenix. I now think Gaoye is now the pick of the hotels in Taishan. Although this rating is relative as there are much better hotels in larger Chinese cities. In terms of Taishan this probably rates as a very good.
The room itself was of a high standard, a good size and relatively modern. Staff were good, although only a couple of reception staff are English speakers.
The breakfast was ok, although the sooner they make the whole restaurant smoke free the better. As a tip if smoke affects you sit on the side closer to the entry which is 'non smoking' as the window side is the smoking area.
Wifi was only available in the lift lobby and reception, not in the rooms.
Location is excellent, right in the centre of town.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Gaoye Hotel

Reviewed December 10, 2013

This is the only hotel in which I've stayed in Taishan, so I cannot compare it with others. Even though it gets praise in some reviews as being the best hotel in town, it would be a mistake to expect it to be similar to the best hotel in a larger Chinese city.

That being said, it was adequate to my needs and I really don't have any complaints about the facility or the service. My room was actually a suite, but furnishings were basic. Everything worked and was reasonably clean, but just seemed kind of old and borderline shabby. I didn't really want a suite, but that's all they had open at the time. Cost about 500 Yuan.

I was favorably impressed by the speed and low cost of laundry service. Spent three nights there and wanted to wash some clothes that had accumulated over the previous week.

The location was excellent, near main streets and a shopping mall. One evening I went to see a movie in the mall. Afterwards strolled on the nearby walking street. Taxis are not abundant in Taishan, and at times you must wait. Riding the bus is not difficult if you speak the language.

Breakfasts were very good in terms of variety, service, and quality. When I checked out, one of the bellmen, surnamed Ye 叶,even kindly helped me take my luggage about a block to the place from which I could catch a bus to Guangzhou Baiyun Airport.

I understand the hotel had two sections, Block A and Block B. I was in Block A and wondered for a while if it was the remodeled and updated section or not. When I asked, the maid told me that Block B was the old part. So indeed I already had the best that was available.

The Spa, Sauna, and Massage Center, listed some places as being features of the hotel, have been closed, so you should not count on using them. They are still listed on the elevator signs and in the hotel directory supplied to the room.

I would probably stay here again if in the area, but I would know not to expect to be dazzled. Overall, something between the "average" rating and the "very good" would be appropriate, in my opinion, but I realize that's splitting hairs.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in B block. In Chinese that's B 坐。
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed 3 nights, newer hotel, clean rooms, good beds, modern bathroom. Breakfast featured some American style food; coffee, eggs, sausages, bread, as well as Chinese style food; such as congee with various ingredients, vegetables, fruits. Many family villages 20 minutes outside of Taishan we were able to visit my mom's home and my dad's home. I don't speak Chinese but I was fortunate to have my uncle who does accompany us and show us around. This was the main purpose of the entire trip to visit my family roots which was accomplished.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
9  Thank Agy49
Reviewed April 2, 2013

This is a luxurious hotel and I enjoyed it thoroughly. As a spoiled American, I needed a modern hotel. This is in a great location, with all the usual amenities, including a western toilet and air conditioning. The bed was also very comfortable. I went during the first week of July and sorely needed the air conditioned room. It was a good size and clean, and the bathroom had a shower and a tub. I was situated in the newly renovated tower and had a beautiful view of the town. We had complimentary breakfast daily, which was the usual items, but still good. The staff was helpful and nice. Did I already mention the great view I had? They offered free WiFi, which wasn't the greatest but better than nothing. I didn't stay long, but if I ever went back, I'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank beesham
Reviewed May 11, 2012

I have stayed in the other so called '5 star' country garden and left a damming review if you care to look.... this hotel is clean, in town so you dont have to call a taxi, cheaper and the staff are much much more helpful

The rooms are clean and decent sized with fresh fruit delivered to your room every day

Breakfast is a buffet style but has a very good selection, the dim sum here is also decent

I will stay here on my next trip

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank thetravellingpanda
Reviewed September 24, 2011

I usually stay at Taishan Country Garden Phoenix hotel but it was full and so I found myself accepting a suite at the Gaoye Hotel which is very conveniently located downtown. This is not a poor hotel, but to state that it is four stars I think is a bit of a stretch. Consistancy of service is paramount to any hotel and well trained staff are worth their weight in dollars! This is where the Gaoye lets itself down. When I checked in late at night I enquired at Reception what the operating times for the Fitness Centre were. I was advised it was open 24 hours a day. This was confirmed by my Chinese associate. As I had a busy day I arrived at the Fitness Centre at 6:30am only to find it in darkness. I could not find any help so made my way to Reception where I was told it opened at 7:00am. I waited until 7:00 and tried again, only to find that I had to roust up a staff member to turn the lights on. I motioned that I would like a towel and some water but these items were not available. I jumped on one of three treadmill machines only to be told it was out of service and so were the other remaining two machines. This left some freestanding fitness centres which were on closer inspection very poor repair and a stationary bike. I gave up and returned to my room where I showered and found the hairdryer located in the wardrobe outside of the bathroom as there was no drawers or storage in the bathroom for it. Unfortunatley the hairdryer did not work. I rang housekeeping to see if I could get a replacement however they could not understand English and said "sorry" and hung up on me.

The breakfast buffet was adequate but lacked some basic staples that you see at regular hotels. The waitsatff were attentive and cleared used plates effeciently. The room that I stayed in was a suite and was clean and had two [quite noisy] air conditioning units that worked very well. The internet was fast and whilst the TV's had a number of channels I struggled to find any that were in English even though the hotel TV directory advised there was. Whilst the location of this hotel is better than the Country Garden Phoenix Hotel I will make sure I leave enough time on my next visit to ensure I can book into the Country Phoenix Garden Hotel and take a taxi to the downtown area if required.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
7  Thank Leave_the_house
Reviewed August 14, 2011

The room was very nice with marble and hardwood flooring, a comfortable bed, and fresh fruit to snack on.

My voltage adapter had a problem and they provided one for me to use at no charge.

Breakfast at the hotel's restaurant is buffet style and includes anything you might want. It is very good. Dinner at the restaurant includes a buffet or order by menu. It is good as well.

The hotel is convenient to the local mall and several restaurants.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Blackblue1992
Also consider these accommodations in or near Taishan
Country Garden Phoenix Hotel Taishan
Dreamland Resort
Dreamland Resort
#12 of 121 in Taishan
Pan Tower International Hotel

Been to Gaoye Hotel? Share your experiences!