“Visiting my parents village” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Gaoye Hotel

Gaoye Hotel
Ranked #1 of 118 Hotels in Taishan
Torrance, California
“Visiting my parents village”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed 3 nights, newer hotel, clean rooms, good beds, modern bathroom. Breakfast featured some American style food; coffee, eggs, sausages, bread, as well as Chinese style food; such as congee with various ingredients, vegetables, fruits. Many family villages 20 minutes outside of Taishan we were able to visit my mom's home and my dad's home. I don't speak Chinese but I was fortunate to have my uncle who does accompany us and show us around. This was the main purpose of the entire trip to visit my family roots which was accomplished.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
9 Thank Agy49

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

This is a luxurious hotel and I enjoyed it thoroughly. As a spoiled American, I needed a modern hotel. This is in a great location, with all the usual amenities, including a western toilet and air conditioning. The bed was also very comfortable. I went during the first week of July and sorely needed the air conditioned room. It was a good size and clean, and the bathroom had a shower and a tub. I was situated in the newly renovated tower and had a beautiful view of the town. We had complimentary breakfast daily, which was the usual items, but still good. The staff was helpful and nice. Did I already mention the great view I had? They offered free WiFi, which wasn't the greatest but better than nothing. I didn't stay long, but if I ever went back, I'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank beesham
wirral
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2012

I have stayed in the other so called '5 star' country garden and left a damming review if you care to look.... this hotel is clean, in town so you dont have to call a taxi, cheaper and the staff are much much more helpful

The rooms are clean and decent sized with fresh fruit delivered to your room every day

Breakfast is a buffet style but has a very good selection, the dim sum here is also decent

I will stay here on my next trip

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank thetravellingpanda
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2011

I usually stay at Taishan Country Garden Phoenix hotel but it was full and so I found myself accepting a suite at the Gaoye Hotel which is very conveniently located downtown. This is not a poor hotel, but to state that it is four stars I think is a bit of a stretch. Consistancy of service is paramount to any hotel and well trained staff are worth their weight in dollars! This is where the Gaoye lets itself down. When I checked in late at night I enquired at Reception what the operating times for the Fitness Centre were. I was advised it was open 24 hours a day. This was confirmed by my Chinese associate. As I had a busy day I arrived at the Fitness Centre at 6:30am only to find it in darkness. I could not find any help so made my way to Reception where I was told it opened at 7:00am. I waited until 7:00 and tried again, only to find that I had to roust up a staff member to turn the lights on. I motioned that I would like a towel and some water but these items were not available. I jumped on one of three treadmill machines only to be told it was out of service and so were the other remaining two machines. This left some freestanding fitness centres which were on closer inspection very poor repair and a stationary bike. I gave up and returned to my room where I showered and found the hairdryer located in the wardrobe outside of the bathroom as there was no drawers or storage in the bathroom for it. Unfortunatley the hairdryer did not work. I rang housekeeping to see if I could get a replacement however they could not understand English and said "sorry" and hung up on me.

The breakfast buffet was adequate but lacked some basic staples that you see at regular hotels. The waitsatff were attentive and cleared used plates effeciently. The room that I stayed in was a suite and was clean and had two [quite noisy] air conditioning units that worked very well. The internet was fast and whilst the TV's had a number of channels I struggled to find any that were in English even though the hotel TV directory advised there was. Whilst the location of this hotel is better than the Country Garden Phoenix Hotel I will make sure I leave enough time on my next visit to ensure I can book into the Country Phoenix Garden Hotel and take a taxi to the downtown area if required.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank Leave_the_house
Bear Creek, Alabama
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2011

The room was very nice with marble and hardwood flooring, a comfortable bed, and fresh fruit to snack on.

My voltage adapter had a problem and they provided one for me to use at no charge.

Breakfast at the hotel's restaurant is buffet style and includes anything you might want. It is very good. Dinner at the restaurant includes a buffet or order by menu. It is good as well.

The hotel is convenient to the local mall and several restaurants.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Blackblue1992
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2011

I think your location pin has been dropped about 300 to 400 metres off target

• Stayed April 2011
1 Thank Deelum
Boston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2011

We drove out to Taishan from Guangzhou for the cemetery/mountain hike. I didn't even know they had hotels in Taishan, let alone luxury hotels. I haven't been back for over 10 years so I was very surprised to find this nice hotel. The service was excellent and the rooms were big and clean. The spotless lobby area was also very spacious. My favorite part was the tall standup bathroom stalls. It's no hot spring but definitely at par. There is also a tasty restaurant on the 2nd or 3rd floor (can't remember) that serves traditional Chinese food and some exotic items too.

*I could not connect to the free high speed internet.

Room Tip: Ask for an end room because it can get noisy.