“Fantastic Place To Stay”

Le Grand Aigle Hotel
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Serre-Chevalier
Reviewed February 17, 2014

We nearly didn't book this due to recent reviews. What a mistake that would have been. This Hotel is in a great location for skiing from Le Bez to all of Serre Chevalier's pistes. It is ski in ski out as long as snow permits. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful which gives the hotel a lovely relaxed feeling. The rooms are a nice size very clean with lovely views and everything you need including a decent hairdryer and espresso machine. The food was exceptional, both the evening meal and breakfast is served buffet style, We stayed for 7 nights and every evening there was something different and equally as good. I have to say I never eat dessert at home but I could not leave them alone. Thanks to all the chefs,restaurant, bar, reception and housekeeping staff,we not only got excited about the skiing but also coming back to this lovely hotel at the end of the day for a nice hot bath, drink by the fire topped off with a meal that each evening we didn't want to end.
Try the pitchers of wine, they are cheaper than the bottles and still very drinkable. we enjoyed the white viogner.
We did not have any treatments in the spa but at a cost of 10 Euros per person you can enjoy a nice warm Jacuzzi and sauna in a lovely relaxed atmosphere.
We would not hesitate to stay again and ski a great area of the Alps.

Room Tip: We stayed on the second and found it very peaceful.
3  Thank Car0line04
Julie S, Directeur général at Le Grand Aigle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2014

Dear guests,

Thank you very much for your lovely commentary about Le Grand Aigle Hotel & Spa. You can also enjoy the hotel in summer with a lot of mountain trekking and activities outdoors like rafting, canyonning, horse riding, climbing…
I’m delighted that you appreciate the hotel and its atmosphere and our customer services because I’ve been followed my team since the beginning of the opening in the 26th December 2013 to improve each day satisfaction of our hosts.
Your compliment was transmitted to all my staff.
Hope to see you soon.

There are newer reviews for Le Grand Aigle Hotel

Reviewed February 16, 2014

Nicely docorated rooms; large TV; sep Shower/Toilet; Toilet Room without Heating though:-(
Rooms not too spacious give the fact that you carry a lot of stuff during Winter for Ski-Holidays.
Front-Office (Reception) with Up's and Downs (depending on Staff).
Waiters in the Resto very helpful and attentive. Wine List could be better stuffed with affordable
Wines (there are only abt 3 affordable Red-Wines on the List).
Dinner is served as Buffet - which was excellent. A great compliment to the Chef de Cuisine.
I am not fond of Dinner-Buffets at all - but this one was very nice. Well Done !
Hotel with direct access to the slopes (100m). Sep Skiroom in the Basement of the Hotel.
I was a bit disapointed by the Destination - The Serre Chevalier Valley is a rather quiet Destination (which is basically OK) but the different Places dont offer much else than Sportrental-Shops and Sportrental-Shops. Little else to do in case of bad Wheather.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rolf_Engel
Julie S, Directeur général at Le Grand Aigle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for your return concenrning your stay and le Grand Aigle Hôtel & Spa.
I'm delighted that you appreciated our restaurant and his Chef de cuisine. Your great compliment was transmitted to our Chef.
Regarding our reception team, a warm welcome is our priority. So I raise this point my team.

Hope to see you soon in our hotel.

Reviewed February 14, 2014

A high standard of Hotel with quality rooms and facilities. The staff are friendly and helpful with an excellent selection of food during the week in comfortable surroundings. If Serre Chevalier is on your list then this is the hotel to stay at suituated just by the old village at the top of the resort.

Room Tip: All rooms are a very good standard but the rooms on the rear have a great view across the valley.

Dear guest,

We appreciate your review about our hotel, his surrounding which a good location for skiing in winter and for trekking, outdoor activities, rafting, climbing, canyonning, in summer.
Indeed, my team and I look for a high quality of services for offering to our guest a comfortable stay. Moreover, our Spa propose you a beautiful space to relax and take care of your body after long day of activities outdoor.
The hotel situated in an old village brings serenity and calm for a moment of rest.
Your compliments were transmitted to all my staff.
Hope to see you in a future stay.

Reviewed February 5, 2014

I think the other recent reviews are being quite unfair - we had a lovely stay here.

This is a brand new hotel so there is still a learning process going on, but the hotel had a good atmosphere, rooms were nice and new, loads of hot water, the staff were friendly, breakfast was excellent and served until 11am, and you really can ski to the door.. and lets face it any hotel that chooses to brings over a complimetary plate of chocolate when you order a pot of post skiing tea deserves some good comments!

Whats not to like? Only maybe that the rooms could have done with English tea and milk provided, and it was a surprise to pay €10 for the small spa...other than that, we had a great time.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Julie S, Directeur général at Le Grand Aigle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2014

Dear guest;
Thank you for your return concerning your stay.
I'm delighted that you enjoy our hotel and its atmosphere.
Your great compliment was transmitted to all my staff.
Hope to see you at le Grand Aigle Hotel and Spa at Serre Chevalier.
Julie S. Directrice

Reviewed January 20, 2014

Ridicules hotel.

We have just come back from there. The SPA and sauna isn't working no idea why some one said it is.

There was no information in English in the hotel room i.e. about the SPA treatments. Everything was in French so if you are a foreigner speaking English as foreign language then you are in the pickle. We have asked for English version however they told us that they have run out of them (I don't believe they ever had any).

The menu in the restaurant was as well in French, to be specific we had a menu just for once in English on our first night and after that only in French, again annoying as about 50% of guests at the time were English speakers and we all had to ask waiters to explain what is what.

For the first 3 night out of 7 we have had a great food serve in three course meals as it should be in a 4 star restaurant however on the 4th night it all went wrong. They decided to serve dinners as a buffet (waiter told as that it was a directive from the hotel management).

No idea how they are expecting guests to pay up to 300 euros for bottle of wine with a buffet dinner.

The explanation was even more outrageous as apparently the hotel was to busy to serve dinners in the restaurant standard(NOT Buffet). It just happened that my Girlfriend was a former manager of a restaurant in 4 star hotel in UK and she has told me that hers hotel was twice as big and it was unacceptable to call Le Grand Aigle 4 star hotel with a buffet dinner.

Did I mention that during our stay there was still some construction work going on (probably the SPA) and some other rooms as we had some tools laying in from of our room doors!!!

So now the good bits ;)

The hotel was next to the slops with the cabin lift which was a huge advantage as we just had to walk through the parking and then put your skis or snowboards and ski down the small hill to the cabin lift.

For the first 3 nights dinner was served to a good standard and the food was really nice and tasty, after the 3rd night the buffet started. However the food was still good just not how you would expect it from 4 star hotel.

The rooms were new however you were able to see some botched renovation jobs as coming of wall papers in the corners or some missing skirting.

Oh and the toilet was in different room (i.e. not in the bathroom) which was good if you wanted to use just the shower. However slightly inconvenient to wash your hands after doing your business as the sink was in the bathroom.

So I would recommend this hotel to any one as long as they are aware of the issues i.e. the spa, awkward toilet and weird way of serving dinner as buffet in 4 star hotel.

BTW if you are going to pay more then £600 per head for stay I would look for another 4 star hotel around this one is good only below the £600 mark.

Room Tip: Don't get the rooms above the restaurant as you will be able to hear the chairs pushed around tw...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Tourist_OM

Dear guest,
Following your stay, you have been kind enough to express your comments on Tripadvisor.
A big thank you for your comments, because there are important to us. Indeed, the opinion of our clients is a source of constant improvement.
First, we would like to introduce you, our sincere apologies for the inconveniences wich penalized your stay.
Having opened the hotel on December 26th 2013, we very quickly proceeded to the posting of our informations in English.
Our Spa opened the 26th January 2014 and it's a beautiful space to relax.
For your information, I would like to specify you that our restaurant was always in the form of buffet.
At the beginning of your stay, you had food serve in three because the attendance of the hotel was very low so our Chef wanted to bring a particular attention on our hosts.
Once again thank you for taking time to provide us with your feedback and we do hope to welcome you again for a future trip to discover as is proper the "Gand Aigle Hôtel & Spa".
Julie SMETT Directrice

Reviewed January 11, 2014

We stayed at the hotel for 7 nights over New Year's eve. It had just opened and there was a serious mismatch between what they advertised and what they offered. The spa was not open and although they kept saying it should open following authorisation, I accidentaly walked into the spa space and saw that it was in its early phase of construction. I can't imagine that it will be completed during this season and I really think they are deceiving their guests by saying it will open any day now. As a reply to our complaints, they told us that the hotel will cost more next year, and that we should be happy that we got a good deal. At the same time, 1100 euros per room for 7 nights is not a good deal for skiing accommodation without a sauna, I know that much, I've skied all my life. And besides, what kind of an answer is that? They were just sooo argumentative and rude with the guests, I was appalled. Furthermore, the rooms are very small and so are the bathrooms, and they are not very adapted to the needs of skiers, e.g. very difficult to rinse anything as sinks are tiny and bathtubs are inaccessible due to the glass barrier, little space to dry anything after a wet day outside, etc. In summary, I don't think their designer has ever skied. Another issues was that our room kept losing electricity for days, which was very irritating, and although we were promised compensation for that in the form of a discount voucher for our future stay in their group of hotels, they never gave it to us in the end, although I was insisting. We felt like the staff was just trying to get rid of us whenever there was a problem by promising compensation and then never following up on it. Very unprofessional! This hotel is part of a bigger chain, but it seems like they have no expertise in management or in customer service, which made the whole experience very unpleasant for guests who experienced problems.

On the positive note, breakfast was excellent and so was the location, right on the piste. I just feel like they missed the point, skiing is about having the facilities you need as a skier. You can't just hide from your guests the information that you don't have a sauna yet when they book a hotel which has SPA in its name and is advertised as having a sauna.

Room Tip: There are rooms with balconies and rooms without. Also, there are rooms with a bathtub and rooms wit...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Sonja98

Dear guest,
We thank you for your comments, because there are important. Indeed, the opinion of our clients is a source of constant improvement.
First, we would like to introduce you, our sincere apologizes for inconveniences which penalizes your stay. Having opened the hotel on December 26th 2013, we actually had some difficulties in the process of operating the hotel in the beginning.
Our Spa opened the 26th of Juanuary 2014 and it's a beautiful space to relax.
We remind you that our hotel provides a laundry services for our hosts.
Maybe my team failed to communicate the right information regarding our hotel during the opening period. I can assure you that I try every day to follow them to improve our Customer service.
Thank you for your compliments for breakfast and our location.
Maybe we miss to show you our ski-room to facilitate the confort of our client and the access of this room is right on the piste from the parking access.
Le 23/03 we sent you a voucher for 50 % off to come back in Le Grand Aigle or to discover on of Maranatha Hotels as promised.
Once again thank you for taking time to provide us with your feedback and we hope to welcome you again for a future trip to discover as is proper the "Grand Aigle Hôtel & Spa".

Reviewed January 7, 2014

We stayed in this hotel 4 nights with friends for New Year's Eve, just a week after its grand opening.
Let's be honnest, there were some serious issues with the overall experience:
- the spa of the Grand Aigle Hotel & SPA wasn't opened yet
- the paint on the walls of the restaurants were not finished
- the lounge bar missed some obvious equipments (cheminey, board games, etc.
- the team lacked experience and professionalism
However, we had a very pleasant stay, as the rooms are well equiped and comfortable, the restaurant is very good, both for breakfast and dinner, the bar menu is reasonnably priced, the staff is motivated and really trying to help, and the location of the hotel is simply fantastic, as you literraly exit the hotel on your skis.
So, overall a promising start after only a week of opening. I think once these defects are sorted.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank JooChiat

Dear guest,

I thank you for taking time to write a commentary in Tripadvisor.
I’m delighted that you enjoyed your stay and appreciated the professionalism of my staff.
Indeed, our hotel opened his door in December and like you explained we were all to look for the customer satisfaction.
Once again thank your for taking time to provide us with your feedback and we hope to welcome you again fo a future trip to discover as is proper the “Grand Aigle Hôtel & Spa”.