“Fun day on the reef”

$160.92*
and up
Great Barrier Reef Cruise from Cairns
More attraction details
Owner description: Discover the Glory of Great Barrier Reef with Sunlover Reef Cruises. Enjoy a memorable day trip to the stunning Fitzroy Island or the awe inspiring Moore Reef pontoon on the Outer Barrier Reef. Our fast, modern, air-conditioned catamarans depart Cairns daily and take you to our spacious outer reef activity platforms. Enjoy over 4 hours at the reef and an impressive array of complimentary inclusions including glass bottom boat and semi-submersible reef viewing tours.
Brisbane, Australia
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Fun day on the reef”
Reviewed October 24, 2013 via mobile

Started off at 930am they dropped some people off at fitzroy island which looked nice. Then we headed for the reef we arrived about 11 am the pontoon was pretty much perfect for a large group to dive snorkel or just take pictures. Lunch was fresh and lots to eat from fruit to curry and rice pasta chicken and salads, the drinks were reasonable in price beers from$5.50 . We arrived back at 530 pm so it is a full day and we plan to head back to fitzroy island tomorrow.

1 Thank Cookiefast

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Cairns, Australia
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“pic with wallie”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

awesome company, for snorkeling or diving, went to the reef and I saw this big fish,Willie I had the opportunity to take a pic with him, unreal, amazing, would love to go back with them.

Cairns, Australia
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 81 helpful votes
“Good Locals Specials”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

As a school holiday treat we decided to take our daughter out for some snorkeling. Sunlover provided us with their locals deal and we promptly booked! It was a well run day with a different experience at a pontoon- good for families with children as it does give a good sense of safety. The second story seating was really comfortable and allowed for a well deserved nap on the way home.

The snorkel tour was really interesting with some great snorkeling sites, the tiny baby clown fish was adorable!.Lunch was fine, prawns are always welcome! Some cheeses or antipasti would have been a nice addition though.

Staff were friendly and helpful too. Overall a fun day for locals as well as tourists.

1 Thank Justaddbacon
Brecon, Wales, United Kingdom
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Perfect day out on the reef”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

We planned ahead and made sure we went on a beautiful calm day - days on either side of our trip were cloudy and/or windy and we knew that we would be seasick if the conditions weren't perfect!!
On the way out to the pontoon there were informative talks about the reef and about snorkelling. Those who stayed inside to listen emerged looking a little green - best to read up in advance, I think. I stayed outside and saw whales in the distance!
Once we arrived at the pontoon there was a massive rush for the buffet (I went there MUCH later so there was less choice but still plenty of delicious food. Less choice for British kids, more aimed at the Japanese market I would say) whilst our party quickly donned our snorkels etc and got into the water. Just by the pontoon lots of the coral is dead but you only have to swim a few metres away and you are in the magical world of the reef. We swam alongside a turtle for a good five minutes and saw loads of other wonderful things. Go to Youtube and see "archies and lizzies moore reef adventure" for a taste. My 7 year old was incredibly anxious about swimming in the middle of the ocean, as she's not even comfortable swimming a length of a swimming pool yet, but once she had her kit on and entered the water she loved it. My 10 year old was in the water so fast I didn't see him go! He was the first to meet Wally.
Over the course of the few hours we were there we tried most things - the semi submersible boat, the glass bottomed boat, watching "snorkel-cam" in the theatre, the short handling session at the end of the trip - but really, snorkelling is the only way to do this trip. I hired a wetsuit because I was worried about being cold, but no-one else in my party bothered and they all stayed in the water for ages.
We bought some of the photos from the on-board photographer - expensive, but you might never go again!
We were late arriving back, because we saw a pod of whales within a couple of hundred metres and the captain stopped the boat so that we could all have a good look. Good decision on his part, I felt.
Take sunscreen, take lots of water to drink as well as your own snacks, take an underwater camera, and choose a day with calm weather. I went to the Great Barrier Reef many years ago - did my PADI on a liveaboard - and I was worried that this would be a very second-rate experience after that but it didn't disappoint. If you have kids with you, or only have a day or two in this part of the world, then this is a good way to get the Reef experience. My 10 year old now wants to study marine biology!

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Helen C
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Excellent”
Reviewed September 18, 2013

All the staff are very courteous and friendly. We had amazing weather. Due to this we had excellent water clarity and viewing distance, the reef looked amazing. Anyone on here who gives a poor rating due to water clarity etc is just looking for something to complain about. You can't blame the organisation for the weather.

This company does seem to target the foreign market but this didn't bother us at all.

We got a deal on a helicopter package which included a 10 min flight for $109 each. It was great to see parts of the reef from the air. Not sure if I would have been as impressed if it had haven been the usual $159 each.

We also did the guided snorkel tour and it was brilliant. The Kiwi guide was great. I think his name was Ollie. If you get the opportunity to do the tour with him, take it. Very friendly and fun guy.

Overall it was an awesome day in our honeymoon and my wife's first time to the reef. She is still talking about it being a highlight of her life.

Visited September 2013