“Great Day out!!!”

and up
Sunlover By Starlight: Overnight on the Great Barrier Reef from Cairns
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Discover the Glory of Great Barrier Reef with Sunlover Reef Cruises. Enjoy a memorable day trip to the stunning Fitzroy Island or the awe inspiring Moore Reef pontoon launched in May 2017, and featuring sundeck lounge and theme-park water slide - the only one on the Outer Barrier Reef. Our fast, modern, air-conditioned catamarans depart Cairns daily and take you to our spacious outer reef activity platforms. Enjoy over 4 hours at the reef and an impressive array of complimentary inclusions including glass bottom boat and semi-submersible reef viewing tours.
Reviewed December 13, 2012

I am a Cairns local and it's not often I go out onto the reef or islands, so when I went with my partner for a birthday present I didn't know what to expect. I had a fantastic day!!! I don’t know why we waited to go back out to the reef after so long it is so much fun.

The crew were very helpful and I noticed a few times they were helping out a lot of people who had trouble with their flippers, or even swimming with the snorkel on. I overheard one woman say to one of the lifeguards that if it wasn’t for him and his encouragement, she would have never got in the water and she was very grateful.

It was a wonderful day, I did get a bit dizzy on the way out (because I am terrible with motion sickness) but I was fine after about half an hour. I will definitely go with Sunlover out to the reef again and I urge locals to do the same as often as they can!!! Take advantage of this wonderful place we live in a support our local businesses.

1  Thank Shian L

Reviewed December 10, 2012

Loved this day trip, even the children had a ball. Food was a very average buffet lunch, i really expected more and a bigger variety for the money we paid, coffee and biscuits were very dismal, cheap biscuits and no hot chocolate or cordial or anything alternative at ALL for the several children on board. I dont drink coffee so i was disappointed as well. My 7 year old son went downstairs to get a biscuit each for his parents, himself and his little sister and was told he could only take one. I was not happy about this at all. Lucky i had ample snacks and drinks with us for the kids in our bags or this would have made the day horrible. Im not sure if the toilets started off clean or not, but by the time i went with my daugter to use them, there was urine ALL over the floor and toilet seats, it stank and was so offensive, that i almost vomitted. VERY disappointing....

On the flip side, it was a fantastic adventure... Underwater observatory, semi submersible submarine, glass bottom boat, touch tank, snorkelling, scuba diving, optional helicopter ride, and the time flew by very quickly. We had a great day, the kids loved it, just a shame about the toilets and the food and snacks....

Reviewed November 26, 2012

We are a family of 4, 2 adults and 2 girls almost teen girls.
We had an excellent day out with Sunlover Reef Cruise. Apart from rough seas and rainny weather initially going out to Moore Reef the over all experience was wonderful. The facilities great, the staff friendly and the food was nice too.
A especial thanks goes to Ollie (New Zealander ? Marine Biologist) our reef tour guide. He explained well what we were looking at, helped us with the googles, snorkels and stinger suits and he made the water experience very rememerable and enjoyable. It was the highlight of our 5 day hoilday to North Queensland.
Ollie was great.

Regards
Karen H
Newcastle NSW

Reviewed November 9, 2012

The staff were friendly and helpful. We did the guided snorkelling,the instructor was really patient and helpful in guiding us with the snorkelling which we did not regret as we get to see beautiful coral as well as a large
clam. We've great time as there are lots of things for you to do, like going out on a semi-submersible boat or glass bottom boat where you can see all those beautiful corals and fishes without getting wet. The staff is also very helpful at showing me where to sit (if possible lower deck and outside with fresh air) because I get sea sick on the way. Overall good service with a bunch of very helpful staff..

Reviewed October 15, 2012

We did the Moore Reef day cruise on 15/10/12 and it was fantastic.the staff were incredibly friendly and helpful, esp the german (or maybe he's dutch!?) instructor who seems to harbour dreams as a nightclub comedian. There was a nice sample of food on offer and the group offered regular rides on either a semi submersible or glass bottom boat so you could take a break from snorkelling (incl in the price) and undertake those rides or you could do other extra things like scuba, sea walk or a helicopter ride which cost more.
the snorkelling was plenty fun for me, i wont get sick of seeing the colorful fish and def plan to head back with them.

Be warned, the ride was quite rough so if you think you may get sea sick I'd suggest laying off your breakfast immidiately before the trip as there were a few people getting ill. Once again, the staff were quick to help out those not coping with motion sickness. All in all a fantastic day out, totally worth it.

1  Thank Sandeep S
OceanGroup, Manager at Sunlover Reef Cruises, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2012

Dear Sandoggy,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your lovely review on your recent trip out on Sunlover.

We are so thrilled that you had a fantastic experience and found the staff to be incredibly friendly and helpful. We are certainly blessed with wonderful staff; we agree that it definitely completes the unforgettable experience.

We are glad you enjoyed exploring the reef via our many complimentary activities, we are proud to offer our guests the opportunity to view the Great Barrier Reef from so many different perspectives.

When windy the ocean can get a little bumpy, our staff do try to assist guests to avoid seasickness as much as possible by offering a variety of seasick tablets and advising the best areas of the boat to be on if starting to feel unwell.

Sandoggy, again I sincerely thank you for your review and very much hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future. In the meantime, please feel free to ‘like’ our 'Sunlover Reef Cruises’ Facebook page to stay up to date with the latest news and events.

Warm Tropical Regards,