“Old English Pub with home comforts”
Review of The Dog Inn

The Dog Inn
Reviewed February 28, 2013

My room was round the back of the pub and was a good size and very comfortable; I had an excellent night's sleep.
I was able to sit in the comfort of the bar to do some work and enjoy a good meal at an excellent price. It was a real joy to be able to sit by the log fire on a cold winter's night.
Breakfast was in the cottage over the road (I was a little unsure if I would like this) but it was home from home and the landlady made me very comfortable and very welcome indeed. I had the best bacon sandwich you could wish for!
Many thanks to the landlord and landlady.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for The Dog Inn

Reviewed January 20, 2013

We booked the Dog for a 'girls night in'. We had a lovely meal in the pub at a very reasonable price and then spent a really lovely evening in our gorgeous rooms - the rooms are huge and very comfortable. Breakfast was served in the Cottage which is stunning - I will definately be back!

Room Tip: Any of the rooms - they are all equally charming
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 29, 2012

I have just returned from the Old Dog in Old Sodbury and felt compelled (for the first time ever) to make some comments. For lunch I ordered a quiche, and on taking the first bite it was obvious the meal was under cooked. There was no colour to the top of quiche and it tasted bland, on turning the quiche the pastry was found to be extremely under cooked. It was soft and virtually raw. I have baked for many years and I recognise when something is not cooked. As the young barman was passing, I quietly asked if I could speak to someone from the kitchen. The waitress arrived and the meal was taken away. Shortly after an elderly lady (who I took to be the Landlady/manager) arrived and arrogantly stated that the quiche WAS cooked, she informed me she had cooked it earlier that day and said it had been in the oven for one and a half hours, (she didn't say whether the oven was switched on). Her attitude to me was very rude, and offered no apology. She told me this is how she always cooked her pastry and it was how she liked it! The offer of something alternative was made, but again with an attitude that caused me to eventually decline anything. A refund was provided, yet again with much rudeness and attitude. I do not know if this establishment is under new ownership/management, but I question the customer care when an observation or adverse opinion is expressed. Needless to say, I will not be returning to the Dog Inn again.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Tony W
Reviewed October 14, 2012

I stayed at The Dog on a midweek business trip. I had not pre-booked and ended up phoning from the car park to see if they had a room available. I was offered a choice of rooms and settled for a single en-suite. To my surprise this turned out to be a spacious family room with a double bed, single bed, sofa and easy chairs, a flat screen TV and tea and coffee making facilities. The bathroom was also quite spacious with an easy to use shower (no bath).

The Dog also serves food and the selection is quite impressive with a choice from the standard menu, the 'specials' board or the fish menu. The latter is really quite extensive, more so than most restaurants you are likely to dine in. Having said all that I went for the boring option of steak and kidney pie and it was delicious - particularly when washed down with a pint of real ale!

On the evening in question the pub was fairly quiet but a group of Americans walked in and ordered drinks and food. They obviously enjoyed what they had because they then went on to order packed lunches which they took away with them for the following day (apparently they were walking the Cotswolds Way).

I don't usually bother with breakfast and so I gave it a miss the following morning, although it was included in the price of £57.50 bed and breakfast, which is pretty good value for money by comparison with other local haunts.

I shall certainly use The Dog again if I'm staying in the area.

Room Tip: I stayed in Banbury room which is a comfortable well equipped family room. There is a bit of traffic...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 23, 2012

I have been a regular at The Dog Inn for a few years now and have always enjoyed my time there. The landlady Joan is a very kind hearted person, who makes everybody feel very welcome, whether it is somebody who might just use the public house or B&B once or anyone who uses the facilities more often. The old fashioned ambience of the public house adds to its charming character.

The staff the landlady employs are always very courteous and help with customers needs. Whether they are busy or dealing with another person, you will never find any of them not wanting to help and the service is always excellent each time.

The food is one of the main attractions at the Dog Inn and each time I have eaten there with family or friends, the presentation is perfect and all the food is exceptional and better than you will get in a top priced restaurant. The fish menu is one of the Dog Inn's specialities and there is fish to suit every pallett.

To Sum this public house and bed and breakfast has too many qualities to list here and his not one flaw. I find myself always feeling like I'm one of the family and always enjoy my time there. The title of my review speaks for itself every time.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 20, 2012

I had lunch at the Dog last Saturday and the food was great. Really good atmosphere. It is a traditional english pub. Love the food love the landlady.
Great gardens we took our dog and unsurprising with the name of the pub she was more than welcome.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 19, 2012

My husband and I stayed in the B&B cottage for a weekend for a friends wedding. It was spacious, clean & comfortable with a well kept garden and patio area.

We ate in the pub every evening. The staff were most welcoming and chatty, the landlady Joan couldnt help us enough, and the food was delicious tradiitional pub grub...(saying that, the menu was more than extensive, varying from many fish dishes, steaks, pasta & pies)
We also ate one lunch time from the 5.95 menu, which was plentiful and again very tasty.
Would definately re-visit, and the pub itself is old and tradtitional. Of which you dont see many these days.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
#1 of 4 in Old Sodbury
The White Lion
The White Lion
#1 of 3 in Yate

Been to The Dog Inn? Share your experiences!