“Ignorant Management”

and 1 more site!
Missenden Abbey Conference Centre
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Great Missenden
Reviewed October 17, 2013

I did attach this letter to Missendens sales office on Friday 6th September, you have not answered. this makes a total of two emails and two Royal mail letters with no reply.

On the night of Monday 2nd September I went to my room “Abbey 2” to sleep, I had been up since 06:00. At 22:00 when I lay down to sleep I could not due to a constant humming noise which sounded like a cross between a deisel engine/vaccum cleaner/a shower fan.

I wrapped myself a large white towel and left my room to see where the noise might be coming from, The electricity room behind my headboard was unlocked so I entered to see if the noise was coming from there. There was no noise from there. I was aware of the ducting adjacent to the electrical cabinet. I switched the fridge in the room off momantary to see if that could be the solution to stop the noise. It was not, as doing so made no difference to the humming. I knew the hum was more intense than a domestic refrigerator.

I returned towards my room and towards the fire extingisher station next to my door. I opened the door above the fire extinguisher and the noise was clearly audible within the brick void.

At this point I was so fatigued I decided to pack my case and leave the room for the reception as I could not stand to be in this room knowing I would need a full nights sleep for my next full working day of training at Missenden Abbey.

I arrived at the reception at 22:20, the security guard asked if I lived local, My journey had taken me 2 hours to travel to Missenden Abbey that very morning. He then phoned who I presume was his mamagement? To ask what to do as there were no available rooms to move me to. I even asked if you had any ear plugs.

An Irish Manager came to the reception and followed me carrying my own bags and case back up to my room to try and work out what the noise was. I said that it sounded like a vaccum cleaner and he said that staff were finishing off in the restaurant below and this could be the issue of the noise. When we entered the hallway, outside my room the noise was completely apparent. He then said that it could be the fans in the kitchen and he would go and ask the chef to turn them off.

This noise did not cease all night long. This noise could still be heard with my head under the water in the bath in the morning.

In the morning the receptionist took my key from me, she did not ask me if my stay was pleseant or comfortable or even thank me for the custom!

The stay at Missenden Abbey had made me feel unwell, through exhaustion and lack of sleep.

I would say that Missenden Abbey Management have purposefully ignored my letters, - in return I will make sure that I will make every opportunity to not say a good word about Missenden Abbey!

Room Tip: Not Abbey 2!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Balsom40

Reviewed October 10, 2013

If you are disabled check the exits they are to small for a wheelchair to get out off, so you can only use 1 door to get out off
They say they can have up to 300 people attending check your fire route
Toilets are another matter only 2 for the men's told there was only three for the ladies.
And no baby changing area.
Reception staff are not interested in what you say.
The only person interested
Was the night porter What a very nice man !!!!!!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Dave C
Reviewed October 4, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights for a conference. As previous reviewers have said, it's okay for single delegates as the 'double bed' was squashed against the wall and no space for bedside table. Bed was comfortable but room was very warm despite having the window open all night. Bathroom was small and dated. Shower was feeble. Yes corridors were dated and in need of updating perhaps but everything was very clean.

Breakfast was usual cold or hot buffet and plenty of it. Had a bar meal first evening - typical bar menu but was very good VfM and sit down dinner second evening - very good. All the staff were helpful and friendly but I think they could do with some customer service focus training. Little things like clearing tables in the conference room at lunch time and refilling water etc. small points but would have made a difference.

Overall a good stay but some improvements could make a big difference.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Missenden Abbey is a conference centre. As such, the majority of the rooms are cubicles for single delegates staying overnight while attending a conference. The rooms are too small for a couple to stay in for a comfortable weekend break. Beds are three quarter doubles. We also found the room and corridors quite scruffy with marks on walls and scratched doorplates.
We were attending a wedding and asked why we had been put into a single room. We were told that this was a standard double room and no other rooms were available.
Most of those attending the wedding felt the rooms were too small. Those with children were given blow up airbeds to put at the foot of their bed. Guests had to ask for extra towels, pillows, etc.
Though the centre is pleasant enough, the food good and the building is set in attractive grounds, we felt we should warm others who may be considering booking the venue for a wedding event with guests staying over.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Rooms are small, basic and clean. Wifi is hit and miss and the showers are rubbish.
The hotel and grounds are beautiful.
Breakfast is good.
Great curry house and pubs just up the road!! ..................

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank MutleyDog
Reviewed July 17, 2013

I visited Missenden Abbey yesterday, what lovely grounds, ideal for a wedding setting the hotel itself was very well appointed with mature settings very well priced for the place it is will go back great conferance centre.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Great building. Great location. Efficient and reasonably priced. But...bed was probably reused, if not laundry and making awful. Door to communal garden from room shouldn't have been left open. Bin should've been emptied & visible rubbish under bed removed. Shower and sink probably shouldn't have been covered in gel and toothpaste either. Ordered paper never appeared. Stayed at worse but should be better.

• Stayed: June 2013
#1 of 2 in Great Missenden
Origins at The White Lion
Origins at The White Lion
#1 of 1 in Great Missenden

Been to Missenden Abbey Conference Centre? Share your experiences!