“Nice place”

La Casa de Felipe
Zurich, Switzerland
“Nice place”
Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

We enjoyed casa de felipe! Nice place with hammocks and
Rooftop place with nice view. Only the chicken kept us awake during the night. No hot water - but you dont need it! Luggage storage for free during your lost city trail (dont miss this!!!!)

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Stuttgart, Germany
Reviewed April 6, 2014 via mobile

This hostel's best feature is definitely the great restaurant. For what you get, the prices are really fair because the food is delicious. The restaurant is open Wed-Sun. They also have a juice bar that is open every day. If you stay at Casa de Felipe, you definitely have to try the jugos! Edgar isn't the most friendly guy, but I think he was warming up to me after a couple of days (hard to tell with him though). The rest of the staff is nice enough and some of them, like the guy who checked me in also speak English and remembered my name right away.

I had a single room (23), which was fine. There's no airconditioning so instead you have a ceiling fan. Personally, I much preferred this to the constantly overcooled airconditioning of my last hostel in Cartagena, but if you do want airconditioning, you should book a different hostel. I've slept in better beds, but for the price the room was fine. The hostel was fairly quiet at night, but there was noise from a house close-by so I ended up having to sleep with earplugs anyway.

The hostel is spacious, so it doesn't seem crowded, but if you go to the bar/restaurant in the evening, there's usually a nice round of people to talk to. There are a lot of hammocks to hang out in. It gets really hot during the day, so I recommend going up to the Mirador, because it's usually windy there.

I didn't have any problems on the way down to the sea, but I recommend going in a group at night and not to go further than the club "Sensation" (some guys from the hostel told me the police officers said to them it's not safe if you keep going after that).

Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 16, 2014

I have been travelling for the last 5 months, and found this hostel to be one of the best I have stayed in. I was only intending to stay in Taganga for 3 days, but ended up staying for an additional week. And the main reason... is because I found this gem. For me it really was a home from home.

The layout of the hostels is spacious and it never felt overcrowded. The rooms are adequate and and you have the option of a private room or dorm. Hammocks are situated all around the hostels. They have a pretty courtyard and mirador where you can sit back, and unwind after a hard day at the beach.

All the staff - (including) reception, kitchen and cleaning staff were extremely friendly and accommodating, nothing was to much effort. They always had a smile and were ready to help. The rooms were cleaned and my bed was made on a daily basis. Towels were supplied which was great - not many hostels provide clean towels so this was a bonus.

The kitchen area is basic but it is ideal if you fancy making something quick and simple. They also have a barbecue area!

Free WIFI and a TV room is provided. Prices were extremely reasonable! 20 000 - 27 000 pesos for a dorm room.

Ideal location if you are planning a trip to Parque Tayrona or Ciudad Perdida.

The crowd of people staying here helped with the ambience and vibe of the place. Really chilled and friendly travellers. I had a really wonderful and memorable time at Casa de Felipe! So would definitely recommend staying here.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Switzerland
Reviewed February 12, 2014

Pros
- fantastic common areas
- has charm
- big, thereby easy to meet people
- nice mix of guests (nationality, age)

Cons
- location, while the town is not big at all, Casa De Felipe is at its upper edge, so the walk to beach and the restaurant-strip is the farthest you'll walk in Taganga. Admittedly only 10-15 minutes.
- hot - while there was a cooling breeze down near the sea each evening, the hostel seems to sit in a bit of a wind-protected area and remains pretty hot at night. I assume staying closer to the breezy area, it would be a bit more bearable at night (in a room without aircon).
- I didn't like the fans installed in our room, small, fast, oscillating - I prefer ceiling ventilators for bedrooms = big, slow, gentle constant breeze.
- the room didn't have glass windows or netting, just wooden slats, which allowed mosquitos in. Not many were present, but 1 or 2 each night.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rolandinho10
London
Reviewed January 16, 2014

Casa de Felipe is a lovely hostel, though I wouldn't spend too much time in Taganga itself. The hostel is set around a pretty, large courtyard with several tables and hammocks to relax. The rooms are a decent size, very clean, comfortable and quiet. Reception staff are very friendly and helpful, though the bar staff can be a bit less friendly until you accept you have to pay in small change every time. The bar serves a range of drinks including lovely fresh juices and the restaurant serves good food. There are a range of breakfast options available to buy, even just the muesli with banana was great.

Location is a short walk from the beach front. A lot of people will try to scare you off Taganga but you just have to be careful. We were a group of girls and made sure not to take bags or any possessions out with us at night and not wear flashy jewellery, and we were perfectly safe, though the area is not as generally safe and friendly as the rest of the country.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sarahk1986
Antwerp, Belgium
Reviewed January 7, 2014

My husband and I stayed at Casa de Felipe for two nights. When we first checked in the staff was helpful. The room was ok and the bathroom too. There was one wall damaged with water causing fungus. When we went to have breakfast we could not get it charged on our account, but had to pay cash. We still had to go to the atm, so we asked if we could have breakfast and afterwards go to the atm. At first that was a big problem (???!!) afterwards the allowed it. When we finally went to have our breakfast, I asked without eggs. I got an extra plate with toasts, but when I asked for a cup of tea, the waitress took the extra plate of toast in order for me to get a cup of tea. It was a horrible experience!!!!! I had never seen something like that. We paid 90 000 pesos for the room and when we asked for fresh towels they gave us something that once maybe was a towel ( 20 years ago). When we checked out I asked them to call a taxi but even that was too much. Please don’t waist your money @ Casa de Felipe, it is not worth it.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 4, 2014

Casa de Felipe is one of the best hostels in South America.The only thing missing is swimming pool, The rooms are big, nice kitchen and restaurant with great food. Staff was very friendly as well. My only advise is not to walk alone there at night as you might get robbed as me!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo