“Mixed feelings”

La Casa de Felipe
Switzerland
“Mixed feelings”
Reviewed February 12, 2014

Pros
- fantastic common areas
- has charm
- big, thereby easy to meet people
- nice mix of guests (nationality, age)

Cons
- location, while the town is not big at all, Casa De Felipe is at its upper edge, so the walk to beach and the restaurant-strip is the farthest you'll walk in Taganga. Admittedly only 10-15 minutes.
- hot - while there was a cooling breeze down near the sea each evening, the hostel seems to sit in a bit of a wind-protected area and remains pretty hot at night. I assume staying closer to the breezy area, it would be a bit more bearable at night (in a room without aircon).
- I didn't like the fans installed in our room, small, fast, oscillating - I prefer ceiling ventilators for bedrooms = big, slow, gentle constant breeze.
- the room didn't have glass windows or netting, just wooden slats, which allowed mosquitos in. Not many were present, but 1 or 2 each night.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rolandinho10

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
London
Reviewed January 16, 2014

Casa de Felipe is a lovely hostel, though I wouldn't spend too much time in Taganga itself. The hostel is set around a pretty, large courtyard with several tables and hammocks to relax. The rooms are a decent size, very clean, comfortable and quiet. Reception staff are very friendly and helpful, though the bar staff can be a bit less friendly until you accept you have to pay in small change every time. The bar serves a range of drinks including lovely fresh juices and the restaurant serves good food. There are a range of breakfast options available to buy, even just the muesli with banana was great.

Location is a short walk from the beach front. A lot of people will try to scare you off Taganga but you just have to be careful. We were a group of girls and made sure not to take bags or any possessions out with us at night and not wear flashy jewellery, and we were perfectly safe, though the area is not as generally safe and friendly as the rest of the country.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sarahk1986
Antwerp, Belgium
Reviewed January 7, 2014

My husband and I stayed at Casa de Felipe for two nights. When we first checked in the staff was helpful. The room was ok and the bathroom too. There was one wall damaged with water causing fungus. When we went to have breakfast we could not get it charged on our account, but had to pay cash. We still had to go to the atm, so we asked if we could have breakfast and afterwards go to the atm. At first that was a big problem (???!!) afterwards the allowed it. When we finally went to have our breakfast, I asked without eggs. I got an extra plate with toasts, but when I asked for a cup of tea, the waitress took the extra plate of toast in order for me to get a cup of tea. It was a horrible experience!!!!! I had never seen something like that. We paid 90 000 pesos for the room and when we asked for fresh towels they gave us something that once maybe was a towel ( 20 years ago). When we checked out I asked them to call a taxi but even that was too much. Please don’t waist your money @ Casa de Felipe, it is not worth it.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 4, 2014

Casa de Felipe is one of the best hostels in South America.The only thing missing is swimming pool, The rooms are big, nice kitchen and restaurant with great food. Staff was very friendly as well. My only advise is not to walk alone there at night as you might get robbed as me!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Magda157
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed December 30, 2013

Casa de Felipe was really a great hostel for the price! They had a great french chef who came to cook on weekends and had a good breakfast option as well. It was worth the hike up the hill away from the mail street on the beach.

Pros:
- good food ( a bit expensive though)
- nice accommodations
- fans over every bed
- the staff speak English (Unfortunately, my Spanish was not strong enough so it was helpful to have them speak English)
- There is someone there to help coordinate any trips you would like to plan
- I found it very safe!

Cons:
- It's a bit of a walk away from the main area with all of the restaurants
- It can be a bit sketchy and unsafe late at night
- the reception closes late at night and doesn't open until the next morning which means you cannot use their computers or get any information when you get back after a late night.

If you have any questions let me know!

Safe Travels :)

Room Tip: Stayed in two different room styles and found that the 6 bedroom dorms were small. However the 8 bed...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 19, 2013

Bit of a climb up the slope to get to the hostel and sometimes can feel a little bit unsafe, I wouldn´t recommend walking it alone at night but personally I had no problems and I walked it alone sometimes during the day and with some friends at night. Staff are very friendly and my room in a shared dorm was nice and clean, spacious and with single beds, no bunk beds! Fan was sufficient, not sure if they have rooms with air conditioning. Lunch and dinner is overpriced but breakfast was reasonable and the jugo´s were delicious! Lots of hammocks to chill out in during the day!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
vallejo
Reviewed December 11, 2013

Second time on this hostel.
Like always staff are very friendly and breakfast.. well.. no better on Taganga or around..
Just a couple things don't like us..
It's a hostel for young people.. a night seems like have a party so we cannot sleep... come with the price and the place..
Second.. I really would love they have a place for smoking people separate from restaurant.. really was a flaw eat in the same place were people was smoking..
Last.. bed was so hard on my back.. very very hard... But that's just me..
For the rest, really cheap, stunning place, with safe box on dorms (a very good point) and convenient close to everything.. we're back... next year...

Room Tip: I still think the best is the aparta studio on second floor.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple