“Nice hotel grumpy staff”

The Commercial Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Wishaw B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

Nice room, great shower, big LCD TV, smoking balcony. Good cheap food in Pub.
Very grumpy staff, when we arrived, we had no welcome apart from its not one o'clock yet !! They did however get us in the room early, but not a Friendly welcome. We paid extra for breakfast, and had to give an exact time when we were to go to breakfast. Every morning we were treated as though we were Aleins, "oh so do you want breakfast ?" on Sunday there were no chairs available as they had taken them away from the Mothers day Lunch, some 3-4 hours away ! Every morning a woman mopping the floor in the bar where the breakfast was served, and strong fumes of bleach. Breakfast itself not bad, three different chefs, and three totally different cooked breakfasts !! Had to walk outside in the rain to get to the room. On the whole the most unwelcoming hotel I have ever stayed in.

• Stayed: March 2012
3  Thank Ricky H

Reviewed September 16, 2012

My family consisting of two adults and two small children made the big mistake last night of staying at the hotel!
Having returned to the hotel after a night out we were confronted with the music levels so loud in the room from the bar below the room that it was impossible for any of us to get any sleep,
We ended up having to make the call and pack up and leave at about midnight and head home frustrated and tired! The entertainment was due to go on till three in the morning so there was no choice.
Having now the day after got off the phone to the hotel to complain, it would appear it is our fault for not using our common sense to realise this would be the situation, therefore I would strongly suggest to any one wanting to use the hotel to actually sleep, to look else where and use their " common sense" ! Yours tired annoyed and let down,

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Mark C
Thecommercialho... W, General Manager at The Commercial Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2012

Dear Guest,

Firstly many thanks for taking the time to post on your review.

As you can see from previous reviews here at the commercial we pride
our self on exceptional service and customer care and can I apologies if
you feel this has been found lacking on this occasion.

I have investigated the points below and have already taken steps to
ensure such scenarios are not repeated.

We do have music on at the weekends however the music levels have been
restricted to ensure that the sound of music is not heard in the bedrooms.
On this occasion this seems not to be the case I can assure you that this
is an isolated incident.

Regarding the point noted about you contacting the hotel I have personally
spoke to the staff member that took the call. They have advised me at no
point did they say that it was your fault and that you should have used
your common sense. If you would like to contact myself directly I will
personally assure that your complaint is handled in the correct manner.

Once again many thanks for your feedback.

Adele (General Manager)

Reviewed August 30, 2012

We stayed at the Commercial for 2 nights last week due to my Dad passing away. We arrived on the Sunday evening and had more family arriving on the monday morning. the staff were absolutely brilliant in sorting everything out for us. rearranging rooms and accomodating anything we needed. The rooms were spotless and had plenty of fresh towels and toiletries, ample tea/coffee and biscuits etc, breakfast was lovely, made fresh to order. You could hear the music from the bar on the first floor in the evening but it was turned down at midnight so didnt bother us at all. We had the wake(family get together) in the bar of the commercial and again the staff were brilliant. the food was of excellent quality very reasonably priced per head. We will definetaly be back to stay at the commercial in the future and will recommend to everyone. I would like to come when the club is open too. I would like to thank all the staff for making a very sad time more bearable and easier. you were all smiling and friendly and the housekeepers also, thank you from all the family.

Room Tip: all rooms were very good *****
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank disimo
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Stayed 7/8/12. This is a good location if you in the area for business. Wishaw is not a tourist site! Please don't book this hotel with your partner for a romantic stay!! My room at the hotel very good, the staff were excellent. I'm more than happy to return...
TOP TIP! Before I booked, I made sure it was NOT when the Commercial Hotel has one of it's Disco nights (see their website). So my advice is very much based on a NON Disco night. Unless this is what you want?

Room Tip: Top floor at back.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 8, 2012

My friend and I stayed here for 5 nights and hope to stay there again soon. Staff are warm and friendly and nothing is too much trouble. The rooms are modern, comfortable and the whole place is spotlessly clean. Breakfast is amazing with great choice of cereals, porridge or full scottish breakfast. I highly recommend this hotel and have no hesitation to say that im sure you wont be disapointed as the staff will make sure of it !

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank WMcSuffolkEngland
Reviewed July 11, 2012

I booked a room on behalf of my daughter, who had spent the weekend at T in The Park . From the minute I booked the room , the receptionist rang me to reassure me that even though my daughter was likely to check in as late as 12am , it was not a problem and she arranged for the keys to be left with a member of the bar staff . When my daughter arrived she was over the moon with the room, it was of a high standard and better than she had expected, especially at such a reasonable price. This is a hotel that we plan to use again and would recommend it to anyone who is visiting Glasgow

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 25, 2012

We just happened on to this "gem" of a hotel. We were visiting Edinburgh and were not aware of the Edinburgh Film Festival and the Highland Show. No rooms to be had anywhere within 30 miles of Edinburgh. We found this hotel from our GPS in our car and what a great stay we had. We spent two nights here and traveled back and forth to Edinburgh. We were traveling with my parents, so we rented 2 rooms both nights. Spotless rooms with very nice bathrooms. Nice staff, the night manager, Paul, showed us to our rooms and was very helpful with anything we needed. Lovely appointed rooms, this owner knows how to make travelers happy. Great Scottish breakfast and we didn't mind eating it in the bar, lovely woodwork and nice windows. Cleaning ladies kept everything spotless! Would highly recommend a stay here!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wishaw
4 mi away
Holiday Inn Express Hamilton
Innkeepers Lodge Glasgow, Strathclyde Park
BEST WESTERN Motherwell Centre Moorings Hotel
Herdshill Guest House
Herdshill Guest House
#2 of 2 in Wishaw

Been to The Commercial Hotel? Share your experiences!