“is this the best highland cafe ?”
Review of Whistle Stop Cafe

Whistle Stop Cafe
Ranked #1 of 4 Restaurants in Kinlochewe
Cuisines: Scottish
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed June 15, 2013

found this café whilst touring the highlands. its looks are very deceiving. from the outside it seems to be a roadside café. but once you see the menu and taste the food it could easily be the best restraint you have ever visited.to say the chef is good is a travesty . she is 5 star. quality.
certainly on the top row
we will be back.!

1  Thank Nick E

Reviewed June 14, 2013

We called in for coffee and cake on a quiet raining weekday. It doesn't look great from the outside but with trust in TA we gave is a go and it's a good find.
A nice looking menu and plenty of seating available. The cakes we had were very good and l did overhear other people praising their food.
I appreciate this is my own opinion from a one time visit. I didn't find the service all that warm and welcoming and with only a few other customers there wasn't much atmosphere to fill the hall. I thought the menu was expensive but I have no reason to doubt the quality. This may be the angle the owners are going with which I can appreciate.
This is subjective criticism but based on a few cafes we've visited on holiday I found it lacking in the overall experience.
Ultimately I would return if in the area (I'm not sure there's much alternative) and would recommend it to others.

1  Thank LankySiWat
Reviewed June 14, 2013

This is a fabulous place to eat in a beautiful location. We made a couple of visits while in the area ..... once for coffee and cake and then for a full cooked Scottish breakfast. Both were excellent. The latter cooked to order and served by efficient and friendly staff. I would certainly recommend this place. By the way, if you want to eat in the evening it's best to book and take your own bottle!

1  Thank Clevestwitcher
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Holidaying in the remote village of Kinlochewe, we (me, husband and children 9 & 11) were not expecting to find a cafe/restaurant of this standard. Although the outside is modest (although neat and well kept), the food was excellent. I visited for coffee and cake on one occasion and for a full meal on another. We were lucky to get a table for the meal as hadn't booked in advance and a number of later visitors were turned away. The menu is varied and full of local ingredients. My son had a burger and my husband a home made beef pie both made with locally sourced meat. I am a vegetarian and had a number of delicious options. There is no child menu but it is possible to order smaller portions of the pasta dishes which was perfect for my 9 year old. The cafe has not license but customers are welcome to bring a bottle. The venue is beautifully decorated with local art and there are some quirky artefacts in toilets. Apparently the mens toilet has a Margaret Thatcher nut cracker! We received great service on both occasions we visited.

1  Thank 920KateR
Reviewed May 28, 2013

This is a regular stopping off place en route to the west coast, but not often enough on a Friday, when the scallops arrive. The last visit was unplanned and unannounced (on a Thursday evening so no scallops) The café was full apart from a table set for 6, but I was seated there anyway, enjoyed a beautifully cooked steak followed by the unbeatable sticky toffee pudding, and was on the road again within the hour. Can't wait to get back there again.