My boyfriend and I stayed at Pedras da Rainha this September for one week. It was our first holiday away together and it was exactly what we were hoping for. A quiet relaxed break in a nice sunny location. There isn't a lot going on in Cabanas, so if you're looking to go and party every night this isn't the place for you. The hotel has a great sized pool, lovely for a morning swim, you can actually do some lengths and not feel quite so guilty about the vast amount of Ice Creams being consumed. The hotel staff were all very friendly and we did go to the hotel buffet BBQ one evening our stay which was very impressive for the price 15 euros for delicious grilled meat and fish fresh from the area, with lovely salads and vegetables and a jug of sangria. The other nights we tried a different restaurant each evening and I highly recommend eating as much seafood as you can whilst staying here and really make the most of staying in a fishing village. The village itself is nothing modern or swanky, on initial viewing it could be said a little village facelift wouldn't go amiss, it still has its charm though and we had great friendly service in every place. There are a few restaurants/bars trying to get in on the 'english' tourist thing (e.g.fry up brekkie) but I think this never going to be completely unavoidable. Traditional portuguese food is the main thing here, great fish, chicken, pork, we also tried a traditional Cataplana dish and some mega Prawn kebabs. We found a lovely cafe with an instore bakery (right opposite Pedras boat dock to the beach) that did fantastic portuguese cakes & pastries. Highly recommended.
Our garden view room was great, a lovely balcony view of the gardens and the pool in the distance. It was cleaned regularly and served its purpose. We don't go on holiday to sit in the room all day long. It was lovely having breakfast on the balcony each morning.
The free boat to the beach was handy by staying with this hotel, other holiday-goers would have to pay several euros for this each day, but when its free it doesn't really matter, the beach is very clean, there's no activities happening or watersports, but for a lovely sandy beach with beautiful crystal blue waters to play in it this is a wonderful beach. Others have complained about the beach being too far away, but its clearly stated that a boat has to be taken to the beach, and for me it added a bit of extra adventure.
There are many daytrips in the area that you can go on. Tavira is well worth getting the bus to for the day, its a lovely town and you can spend a few hours walking round its cobbled streets and checking out the shops and cafes. It cost about 8euros for the both of our returns. Not bad at all. Other trips such as the Catamaran day out round the caves looked great, but you need a car to be able to go on these.
If you are looking for a holiday where you can have a week of swimming, relaxing, eating delicious food then this really is perfect for that. I have many other destinations to tick off my travel list, but would definitely come back here again a few years down the line. I couldn't recommend it fast enough!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the small fishing village of Cabanas - Tavira, next to Ria Formosa, Pedras da Rainha is a known tourist complex of the Eastern Algarve. It offers a varied type of accommodation and large green areas, with apartments and villas (capacity of 2 to 8 people), equipped to provide a pleasant stay in a familiar and relaxing atmosphere. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, HostelWorld, Priceline, getaroom.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Orbitz, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Pedras da Rainha reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pedras Rainha Holiday Village Hotel Tavira
- Pedras Rainha Holiday Village Tavira
- Pedras Da Rainha Cabanas, Portugal - Algarve