“A veritable treat!”
Review of The Fleece Inn

The Fleece Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Bretforton B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 11, 2012

We visited The Fleece as part of a holiday in the local area. I had heard of it, indeed had been close to it many years before but, as a life member of the NT, decided that today was the day. And this is one place I can THOROUGHLY recommend.
From the outside, it looks like a gem. From the inside, it's as if nothing has changed in centuries. Obviously, the NT will have played a part here in keeping things as they were, but it was a "slice of Olde Englande". The fish I had for lunch was excellent - it said fillet on the menu and that is what I got - not a single bone. The side salad was freshly made and great (my wife said!). Her soup was also clearly homemade. The beer was great - two pints of "Pig's Ear" - utterly scrummy! Indeed, they'll even let you take some home with you if you want! There were lots of locals in there and also, at an adjacent table, three men carrying out business negotiations for a building contract. It attracts all kinds of people and all are made to feel welcome.
I said to my wife that it was a pity we were staying 30 mins drive away, as this was the sort of pub you would want to return to time and again.
5 stars or even more to The Fleece at Bretforton!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for The Fleece Inn

Reviewed June 7, 2012

A truly magical setting for our son and daughter-in-law's wedding. The food, service and venue were all superb.
The staff were wonderful and nothing was too much trouble for them.
Thanks to Nigel and Sadie for their support and to the staff who helped to make the day so memorable for everyone.
Elaine and Graham Labrum

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 8, 2012

It was supposed to be British Asparagus Festival in Evesham last Saturday, but the recent wet weather had a) compromised the harvest and b) flooded the festival site - so the festival was cancelled. What to do? Well... I'd noticed that there had been an asparagus race at The Fleece on St George's Day, so we popped-in for a quick mid-afternoon drink (half a pint of their own cider, the Ark) and were stunned by this georgeous, 15th century thatched pub. With limited expectation, I asked for a look at the special asparagus menu, and whether it was possible to reserve a table for two that evening. 7 of the 8 starters contained asparagus, as did all of the main courses. You could even have asparagus ice cream for dessert! It was even better that they could squeeze us in for an early supper (6.30pm). All of our dishes tasted fabulous, though The Wife's risotto was a bit gloopy. There was no trace of 'bought-in food'. All praise to the chef, the lovely serving staff (especially Jess) and the most laid-back mine host ever.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 21, 2012

A few years ago, this place was packed , because the kitchen turned out robust, home cooked English food. Then it began to decline, but we made excuses for it because the building is so interesting (the National Trust did a great restoration job after it burned to the ground). Finally, this time, the food was so ridiculously bad that even the waiter was embarrassed. Everything appears brought in , so competence with the microwave and deep fryer is required, but even this seems beyond the chef : fish cakes starter with missing fish cakes, tomato and watercress salad without the watercress, ham and cheese on ciabatta where the bread appeared to have been dunked in water first, lemon tart which wasn't lemon, trifle which wasn't trifle. The people next to us sent their food back twice - cold fish and chips - maybe the microwave wasn't working? One thing the chef does seem to enjoy is the squirty bottle of balsamic vinegar, which decoration appeared on several starter and main dishes. The embarrassed waiter actually volunteered not to charge me for any of my food, and I think had I challenged the charge for the other two people with me, he would have waived that too. Suggestion - go and have a look at the place, enjoy the ambience, have a drink, but eat somewhere else, where they respect their customers.

Please note though that we did not stay. As Tripadvisor's system requires a mark under this category, I have put them midway - no idea whether that is fair or not.

• Stayed: March 2012
6  Thank smudgecirencester
Reviewed March 20, 2012

Eight of us had dinner on Sunday 18th March 2012 at this delightful pub. We had booked earlier in the week but arrived late after getting lost (allow time it's not easy to find in the dark). We were though still warmly welcomed by the publican. The menu is varied and interesting and the food was generous and tasty. We certainly hope to get back soon, in my case for the traditional 'meat balls' and mash and the beautifully kept beer. I can, however, sympathise with reviewer kushtibok. Our table for eight was in the very small back room which was fine as there was nobody at the other tables. I assume that's where they were and a couple would find it very oppressive if there was also a large party in the room. Best to check when booking perhaps but try not to miss the Fleece!

PS They are not called meat balls on the menu but Trip Advisor has take exception to the traditional description on the menu!!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Ashley42London
Reviewed March 7, 2012

This was our 10th Wedding Anniversary and I made that point clear when booking the table. We were very much looking forward to our meal at the Fleece as we had heard good things about it. Upon arrival, we found our reserved table - it was the smallest round table you could imagine (4 of us dining at a table for 2!) The food was of a high standard and at least one of the staff managed to smile. However this is very much "a local pub for local people" - we felt most unwelcome.
To top it all, the tables next to ours had all been pushed together - despite knowing it was our wedding anniversary the Landlord had decided to put 9 VERY NOISY children with their equally noisy and rude parents and grandparents next to us in this small snug area. We couldnt' hear ourselves think let alone talk. My husband and I couldn't eat our meals quick enough, 37 minutes after arriving we were back in our car. I was in tears. The older man behind the bar was incredibly rude and grumpy, there was no way we felt we could ask to be moved (I believe he was the Landlord). Never again and I will NOT be recommending the pub to anyone.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank kushtibok111
Reviewed February 21, 2012

My husband and I have just come back from a short break in the Cotswolds and went to this Pub for an evening meal. We found it in the National Trust Handbook and as it is steeped in history fancied a visit. It is very old and is full of Cromwellian artefacts including a large collection of pewter plates. The pub is divided in to 2 rooms connected by the bar and each with a log fire. We found on arrival that the chef and barmaid were both off sick , leaving the landlord very short staffed. This didn't affect the service or quality of food and we had a great evening. If it's refined eating in a posh bistro type place then this is not for you but if you want good hearty food in a friendly, cosy environment then give it a go - you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bretforton
The Wood Norton Hotel
#2 of 3 in Chipping Campden
The Fish Hotel
The Fish Hotel
#4 of 6 in Broadway

Been to The Fleece Inn? Share your experiences!