“Amazing Experience”

Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Blackford
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed October 7, 2013

We recently visited Phoenix Falconry for a half-day adventure with Adrian and the birds. The knowledge they shared and the skills they demonstrated kept us engaged and amazed. We were able to help train one of the younger birds while another did the hunting. My husband really wanted to experience falconry and he was not disappointed. The crew at Phoenix Falconry were extremely welcoming and helpful, even with other aspects of our trip to the area! We would recommend this experience with anyone that wants to try something new and learn about birds of prey.

1  Thank sldonnelly
in 17 reviews
"spectator"
in 11 reviews

Reviewed September 28, 2013

While falconry has always fascinated me, I wasn't sure what to expect. But whatever I had in mind, the experiences at Phoenix far exceeded my expectations. While it was a little expensive, we opted for the Falconry Adventure, a full day of learning, handling the birds, and then a falcon hunt in the afternoon. If it's in your budget, I would highly recommend doing this. The morning sessions are fantastic because it's all about learning about the birds, how they're trained, and getting to handle different species, the entire time learning about which birds are good for what and the history of those birds in the sport. Then the afternoon, the hunt, is all about seeing it in action. If your budget is a bit more limited, I would suggest going for the falconry lesson and the meet the birds. If you just want to learn about different birds, I would suggest the meet the birds session. If you're more interested in the sport and it's history, I would suggest going for a falconry lesson. In any case, if you've ever been interested in falconry, Phoenix Falconry is a MUST SEE/DO for any vacation in Scotland.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

I have always wanted to try this sport. The sport of kings. It was an absolute delight. Although it was a little chilly out and slightly raining (typical Scottish weather), our instructor, Tom, did a phenomenal job. He taught us all about the birds, but never talked too much or got boring. He kept you interested when you weren't handling the birds. My brother and I absolutely loved it, and would do it again and again if we could! With it only being a short drive out from Edinburgh, there's no reason not to try this. It's out in the country through a small, quaint town. Just beautiful.

1  Thank Andrew M
Reviewed August 12, 2013

My brother purchased this for me for a big birthday - it was a lovely surprise. The falconer, Adrian, was so knowledgeable and the birds were just beautiful. I would recommend this to anyone - unforgettable, if you love birds of prey, want to learn about them and get very close to them indeed!

1  Thank juliew671