“A real mixed bag - the staff are such a let down”

The Moors National Park Centre
Book In Advance
More Info
$52.10*
and up
North Yorkshire Moors and Whitby Day Tour from...
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Danby
More attraction details
Owner description: For a full day out with the family, head to The Moors National Park Centre, set in an idyllic spot on the banks of the river Esk on the outskirts of the village of Danby. For kids, there's an outdoor adventure play area and mud kitchen, indoor climbing wall, and events every school holiday. There are pushchair and wheelchair friendly woodland and riverside trails around the grounds and plenty of picnic areas and seating if you just want to sit back and soak up the fantastic views across the Esk Valley. There's also interactive exhibits inside and the acclaimed Inspired by... gallery with changing exhibitions by contemporary artists. There's an Information Centre, gift shop specialising in local produce and crafts, and café. Admission is free. Pay & Display parking.
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access, Food available for purchase
Reviewed August 6, 2014

I've been going here for a couple of years and finally want to review it. The place itself is okay especially as it's free to get in. The pay and display car park is a shame as lots of cars squeeze on the verges to avoid paying (can't say I blame them) Nice playpark for kids to play in outside and nice upstairs area with mini climbing wall, foam bricks for building a wall and a tunnel to climb through, standard stuff in the shop is a little overpriced. The cafe is expensive but there are picnic tables to bring your own food.
My problem is with the staff. Every time I've been, there's been a problem. I've turned up before to see four members of staff by the counter chatting to each other, drinking tea and ignoring visitors. I've said hello when entering on several occasions to get just a blank look back. I've never had a friendly welcome from any of the people working there. If I was a visitor on a one off day out I'd be appalled.
Today for the first time, we had a hello after we pointedly stood and said hello on the way in but at the end of the visit I went to buy some toys and a book at the counter, joining a queue of two other people. The lady behind the counter was chatting on the phone. After waiting several minutes, during which time more people joined the queue I gave up as she was still on the phone with no acknowledgement of the queue, her back turned to us the entire time, so I put the things back on the shelf and left just as she said "I better go, I've a queue and I'm on my own," too late for me as I'd given up by then, costing them the sale due to their lack of customer service as I'll buy elsewhere.
Such a shame they aren't trained in customer service and don't seem to care about their visitors as the centre itself is good although getting tired. There are three displays where you wind a handle and objects then move but two of them haven't worked in years. If they never work and they have no intention of fixing them why keep them?

All reviews
in 5 reviews
"short walk"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed August 5, 2014

A visit to the Moors Centre at Danby is always requested by our grand children when they come to stay. They love a walk over the moors from Danby to get there, rather than using the car park - and once there they rush off to the play area with its wooden climbing frames and houses before heading inside to play on the tree slide and soft bricks before taking to the climbing wall. Many children's displays and school holiday activities make this a popular, but rarely crowded, place. Combined with a short walk across the fields to watch a steam train chugging past, this is a good half day activity for the under 10s.

Reviewed August 5, 2014

The Moors centre often plays host to events and I recently visited and enjoyed the days events. The centre is open daily regardless of what events are running and the art gallery and café are great places to relax. A peaceful day out.....

Reviewed August 4, 2014

These moors are so vast and so colourful it is well worth a visit just stetchers forever and the sheep run free.