“Beautiful Resort - Bad ownership”
Review of Rawley Resort

Rawley Resort
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Port Severn
Reviewed March 16, 2010

I was just at a wedding at this beautiful resort. Rooms are very nice and the resort is kept clean. The staff are also very pleasant and accomidating as much as possible. Sinnce this was a wedding we had to deal with a lot of the staff that normal guests would probably not on a regular basis and they were fantastic. The resort normally does not allow weddings but just due to the time of year and the fact that the resort was not busy they agreed to the reservation.

We had the ceremony and reception on the resort and it worked perfectly. The layut worked as people who did not want to dance or be bothered by the music could sit in the lounge area right off the dance floor and still feel like they were a part of the reception.

Now with all that being said I would NEVER recommend this resort again for a wedding due to one thing/person. The owner! What a miserable control freak she came across as. We reserved all the rooms for the enitre week-end so you would think she would bend over backwards and be thankful for the buisness, especially since I am sure she made a good amount. Instead she did everything possible to get in the way. If she did not want a wedding or does not like her resort to be disrubted the way she thought it was then don't allow weddings. If you do, then deal with it and make it memorable for the right reasons.

The bride and grooms suite was right across from her room (not sure if she lives there) but during the Friday night after the dinner we continued to have a gathering in the bride/grooms suite. No music, just about 20 people and some drinks. Well about 1130 who did I see poke her head sneakily in the room but the owner! At the time I did not know it was her but found out Saturday night when I was introduced to her (more of that below). She continued to make comments such as "stop opening and closing the door!". My appologies to her but I think that is the procees of going in and out of a room.

The next day my wife caught her coming out of our room while there was a do not disturb sign on the door and the cleaning staff had already done there clean up. She claimed that the bride allowed her to come in. Why would you ask someone else to enter our room in the first place, second of all why? She was inspecting the rooms for damage but when does that ever take place during the stay and while we said stay out! I had many valuables in that room, including the wedding rings and I wanted nobody in the room, period. It was also my birthday the Friday evening and there was a sign taped to the wall with scotch tape and she demanded to be taken down which we did but it was on with scotch tape, I mean how much if any damage could be done.

Well as you can imagine the Saturday was a busy day. I again will point out that the staff was amazing and very helpful. Again though all day the owner was making her presence known and constantly watched over everything like a hawk. She did not realize how distracting her "glares" were and how uncomfortable at times she made it.

Finally during the reception she over did it. All night she sat at the bar (which is higher than the tables) and watched over every single movement. Now keep in mind we have not done any damage or casued any disrutption the whole week-end except for the noise which they are probably not use to, but it was all the wedding attendees in the resort and I am sure they had no problems. Well the time went ahead that evening (but not until 2am Sunday) and she sent over the bartender to tell us at 11:30 that the bar would be shut down at 12. There was an agreement in place until 1:00 am and the bar was an open bar. When I approachedthe manager of the resort with the issue, the owner cut in and for the first time I had a conversation with her (if you want to call it that). She told me that it was shutting down due to the time and when I reminded her that the clocks do not go ahead until 2 and considering the amount of money that was being spent she should reconsider. She then continued to explain that the staff had to be back in the morning and some had a half hour drive. I told her that this was not my concern and if the staff where mismanaged that it was hers. This made her even more upset and the then said fine that the bar would remain open but the breakfast buffet in the morning would be cut short by an hour. I decided not to argue any more and to waste what was left of the evening arguing with someone who had not conception of service and thakned her and abruptly left.

This resort would have been highly recommended for a wedding if only the owner does not seem to want her hands in everything and rule with an iron fist. If she treats her customers this way I am curious about the staff. I am sure that it is a beautiful spot to realx in the summer as a couple for a week-end but I cannot confirm this as I have never done so and after this experience will not.

Please note that y ratings seem good but this is obny based on the hotel and not their wedding service

• Stayed: March 2010
9  Thank go5
OwnerRawleyResort, owner at Rawley Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2010

It is with great dismay that I respond to your disheartening review. It is very difficult for all of us to read such a terrible review when we know that from the time you all arrived to the time you left this wedding was so well orchestrated. I feel that everyone put everything into makiing this a special day and added a "wow" factor.
There were many unfortunate incidents that occured during these two days, some that had our staff in tears. We felt it best if we tried to control the situation to the best of our ability and not bother the bride and groom so not to ruin this special time.
I had no intentions to ruin your birthday party, however 20 persons in a hotel room, moving furniture from suite to suite and continually banging the door with the security latch on was unacceptable. After I requested these things to stop the party did continue.
On he wedding day it was the bartender's decision to close the bar at 12am. and it is always the bartenders call. After listening to his reasons I agreed with him. We attended your request to keep the party going with appropriate solutions to suit your request even though it was in our best interest to close. The only discussions about breakfast was our concern if the guests missed breakfast due to the time change.
Please know I did not enter any suite to check for damages- never crossed my mind. I asked the bride where you were so we could discuss cleaning your suite. The bride informed me that you had put the please do not disturb sign on your door as a joke from party the night before. In hindsight, I should have checked with you first. I did not go directly into your suite and spoke with your wife in the entrance hall of the suite. She did not want a tidy just fresh towels and supplies.
I politely asked her to carefully remove the tape from the party decorations so not to remove the wall paint. I was in the dining room three times during the wedding day, once to inquire your whereabouts, once to view the lovely table settings and once to view the ceremony for a few minutes. At no time was I glaring or being iron fisted.
My involvement began with your party on Friday night and at the wedding dinner when problems became apparent. There are times it is necessary for me as the owner to involve myself in incidents that can jeopardize the business and incidents that I feel the staff should not have to be involved in. I feel that your review posted does not reflect what Rawley Resort has to offer. These comments were directed at myself as a result of my intervention on Friday night and carried from that time until your departure on Sunday afternoon.I am not sure if you are fully aware of the circumstances involved and I feel it would be in the best interest of all to not put a damper on such a wonderful day. I would welcome a phone call from you to discuss these factors with you. Please feel free to call me at antyime at the resort.
Sincerely Liz Honeyman

Reviewed March 1, 2010

Last year (2009) we joined seven couples for a winter escape at Rawley and without exception, everyone wanted to return in 2010. This year 12 couples went back for two nights. We didn't think it could be better than the first time - but it was.

The accommodation, the food and the entertainment (maestro Eric on the grand piano) along with friendly staff and a great location is what memories are made of. When everyone was asked if they wanted to try a different venue for next year, the answer was 'No way'.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank sansouci
Reviewed November 14, 2009

Having read all the reviews of Rawley Resort on Trip Advisor we booked a two night stay in one of their Waterfront Lodges. The lodges are right beside the water and both the patio area downstairs and the balcony upstairs provided the perfect place to really enjoy the view. The lodge itself was spotlessly clean and the décor was beautiful - contemporary yet elegant. It offers all the mod cons but with a traditional feel.
The restaurant is a stone throw away from the lodges themselves and is as beautiful as the accommodation. The cuisine is not only scrumptious but presented to perfection. The staff are friendly and professional and the service is first class. The pianist, Eric – plays during dinner each night and he is a real gem of the resort, not only an amazing piano player but also one of the warmest people I have ever met. Eric creates a homely feel in the dining room and when you are finished your delicious meal, you can just sit around the piano with the other guests and enjoy a sing song and some good craic (Irish for fun!). Barry, one of the owners, is a lovely guy, very down to earth and also made us feel very at home during our stay. Two nights really wasn’t enough at Rawley Resort but it did feel longer as we have memories that will last us a lifetime, I can close my eyes right now and return to the beauty and serenity that is Rawley. I cannot recommend this place enough – so if you are looking for rest, relaxation and 5 Star all the way – then look no further than Rawley Resort and Marina, it truly has it all!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 12, 2009

My husband and extended family (with 2 young kids) stayed here over the Thanksgiving weekend. The resort exceeded my expectations in all ways. The "standard" suite that we stayed in was 500 square feet consisting of a living room with small dining table, sofa, kitchenette. Huge bathroom with shower for two and a huge bedroom with balcony and king sized bed. The resort staff were excellent - very friendly, helpful and accomodating. The value for the place is amazing - in comparing this resort with the Inn at Christie's Mill - I preferred my stay here, the place was nicer and the staff friendlier - we plan on making Rawley Resort a yearly Thanksgiving tradition - JUST OUTSTANDING!!!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Catharinef
Reviewed October 3, 2009

I tried unsuccessfully to check in to this location when I arrived at dusk, mid-week in late August.

My wife and I were on a driving trip at the time and we did not have reservations. We just stopped by looking for a room.

The front desk person quoted me a room rate for a suite and mentioned that it had two separate beds. I responded that I was happy to pay the rate but that I wanted to sleep in the same bed with my wife. She said she had an executive suite but that she was unable to upgrade me at the standard price.

Given that it was after dusk in the middle of the week in late August, I asked her if she thought she would be able to rent the executive suite that night. After telephoning her manager, she replied "no". Neither she nor her manager seemed to put it together that they would be smarter to give me some kind of deal. They didn't even try.

I asked if I could see the two rooms and she replied that since she was the only one working the answer was no.

I decided not to check in and stayed at the nearby Inn at Christie's Mill instead. I am leaving a review of it on this site.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank A_traveler_CO
Reviewed July 1, 2009

We just returned from another excellent stay at the Rawley Resort in Muskoka. With easy access to and from Hwy 400, this beautiful resort in Port Severn comes highly recommended. Newly re-built in May 2007, this resort has a range of room styles and sizes in a number of different buildings, many with nice water views. The rooms are excellent -- spacious, clean, nicely appointed. The dining room is beautifully decorated, and the food is both tasty and well presented. A piano player entertains in the dining room in the evening. The staff are all friendly, and professional. In fact, we found this to be one of the best aspects of the resort. You get the sense that they all really care about their customers. Even the new "trainees" learning their jobs for the upcoming busy summer season were friendly and helpful. The resort is well-maintained both inside and out. We will be sure to return again -- to stay and to dine.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SnowbirdOntario
Reviewed May 2, 2009

We traveled to Rawleys Resort for an evening away. We received a great rate on a Waterside Loft that was absolutely beautiful! Everything in the room was in its place and very clean! We dined in the restaurant for all meals. The restaurant it self is stunning, very nice decor however I was not too impressed with their food. The menu is quite small which is fine, however the food was average and many options on the menu were not available.

The staff at the hotel are all very welcoming...we were not to sure where to park, and the chef who was outside was more than happy to help us.

The hotel offers a selection on DVDs that you can sign out from front desk complimentery. I thought this was great! The only issue we had at this property was ordering in-room dining. The restaurant closed earlier than what we were informed, resulting in us almost not having dinner and there was no menu in the room.

All in all we had a wonderful stay at this property and will definitly go back!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
#2 of 3 in Port Carling
Severn Lodge
Severn Lodge
#1 of 4 in Port Severn

Been to Rawley Resort? Share your experiences!