“Would like to have tried it but wasn't given the chance.”
Review of Rawley Resort

Rawley Resort
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Port Severn
“Would like to have tried it but wasn't given the chance.”
Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

I arrived in Port Severn to look for a restaurant; saw the Rawley at the main intersection and it seemed interesting.

I walked into the restaurant and it seemed very inviting, upscale decor, well dressed patrons, piano player and great setting. The only problem was, I stood at the receiving podium for at least five minutes and the greeter was absent.

I decided to explore the outside grounds and then return. The grounds are, again, beautiful and inviting.

I went back and still no host/ess and this time positioned myself at the bar, trying to get someone's attention; no one looked up.

I left.

Stayed August 2013
5 Thank NORTHAMERICAN1
OwnerRawleyResort, Owner at Rawley Resort, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
I am sorry that your experience at Rawley was not up to your standards. It certainly was not up to our standards.
This disappointing review is an opportunity to discuss this with our team. But before we do that we require more details such as the time of day, the day of the week and the date you visited.
I assume it was evening because you mentioned the piano player who starts his entertainment at 7:00 pm and that our patrons were dressed for evening dining.
Our host is not always at the podium as they are seating many guests on busy evening. They guide them to their table, present them with menus, and then they find the server to make them aware their guests are seated. I apologize for your five minute wait but please know that this takes a bit of time especially since they could have been seating many guests at the same time.
You visited us at the busiest time of the year and even though we try our best to serve everyone as fast as we can sometimes it is difficult to do so as every customer deserves our full attention.
Ninety five percent of the evenings I am always in the dining room area overseeing exactly what you are talking about. One of my pet peeves is a customer standing at the podium waiting. I am extremely unhappy why I missed not seeing you. Once I know the date, etc this would assist me in figuring out why and making sure it doesn't happen again.
I am going to e-mail you to see if we can correct this situation and have you return to Rawley and give us another chance to show you that we do strive for the best in personal customer service and we do care.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 28, 2013

The Rawley is easy to get to from Toronto if you want a few days away. Neat location just across from the Severn Locks, so boat watching is the most stress you'll encounter. The people, food and accommodations are excellent. Yes, the piano player was there...and very talented indeed!
Our only nits, one which is in the design and the other easily fixed......the AC units are in the bedroom, (rooms have living areas, which is where the units should have been placed)so you have to get used the noise. The other was the bread with dinner. With the chef being European, were expecting something a bit more interesting.
Can't forget the Spa.....very welcoming, clean and great services!
Overall, awesome spot.

Room Tip: We had 2nd floor in main building...corner unit looking out to water, with huge but cozy veranda. Th...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Don B
OwnerRawleyResort, Owner at Rawley Resort, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Thank you for your remarks on the staff, food, piano and accommodations. These comments will be shared among our team.
It is clear that we have not lived up to your expectations and I can assure you your experience is not consistent with the majority of the feedback we receive in regards to our suites. We want our guests to have a pleasant stay so we strive to do our best to make that happen.
It is extremely important to all of the team here to know that our guests are leaving happy.
I have addressed your displeasure regarding the buns with Chef Andreas and I know he will make every concerted effort to improve on the buns.
Some of our suites, not all, have a/c units in the bedrooms. For the couple of guests that the sound bothers we recommend that they leave the fan running all the time. This way the sound is consistent and not turning off and on.
I hope that this did not have a negative influence on you so you will return for another stay at Rawley Resort.
Ingersoll, Canada
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We have long been looking for a really decent resort north of Toronto. We have just returned from the Rawley today after spending 5 days there. The resort is beautiful and clean. The room we had was a suite and spacious, very nicely furnished and sooooo comfortable. The bed was great and the sheets perfect for a good night sleep. The food is very good. The chef has a style all his own, his offerings are tasty and perfect, the dining room is lovely and serene with a piano player each evening. We took our boat with us and this spot is absolutely gorgeous for touring the Trent-Severn.
The very best thing about this resort is that the staff are really happy to be there and it shows, they are friendly and went out of their way several times to make our stay more pleasant. I had a spa and the lady in charge looked after me. I had a peci-mani and I believe this was the best mani-pedi that I have ever had.
All in all, this resort is probably the best we have ever stayed at and we travel quite a bit. Kudo's to the owner for having this gem and making it available to others to share.

Room Tip: We stayed in a king terrace room which was lovely, huge balcony where we could sit and watch the bo...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nanajude085
Thank you for the lovely review. It is a pleasure knowing our guests are leaving with such a good feeling of fulfillment and then taking the time to send such a wonderful and positive review.
Your kind words will be shared with all the team who have endeavored to make your stay an enjoyable one. They will be so pleased to know they made your stay the best it could be.
We hope that your experience will entice your to return to us and we truly look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.
Illinois
Reviewed August 16, 2013

The Rawley Lodge is a beautiful spot with a lovely dining room and bar. We literally wait through the winter to get back to Port Severn to sing at the bar with piano player par excellence Eric. Tonight we came in, and NO ERIC! What a huge letdown. The replacement piano player was just so-so and no singing along. Our cousins came in to listen and sing but we were all so disappointed. We do like the Rawley, rooms are great, the food is quite good, and the setting at the beautiful Trent-Severn waterway is sublime, but where is Eric?

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank NOLAlover045
It is extremely important to us that the services we provide are appreciated by all our guests and we are pleased that we met most of yours.
Eric plays here 95% of the weekends, however the one weekend he took off for a family function, was the one that you stopped by to see him.
Thank you for taking the time to send us your review. Every review is valuable to us.
Barrie, Canada
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We have been to this resort before for a dinner in their lovely dining room and thought what a great place to celebrate my husbands surprise 65th birthday. I had called and made a reservation three weeks earlier and asked if they could bake a birthday cake at their facility for a party of six. Was told they were be happy to do this for me. I had called the morning of the birthday just to check if the cake was done and was assured it had been taken care of and ready for the evening. Our guests arrived and we had a lovely dinner and our waiter Dennis was wonderful and very attentive. We had asked the entertainer Adrien who was singing that evening if he could sing happy birthday when the cake was presented, which he did. The cake was presented and beautifully decorated however it was all for show. The cake was awful.....the cake itself was dried out like cardboard. We called Dennis the waiter to taste it himself. He immediately removed it and apologized.. I was so embarrassed not only for spoiling the night for my husband on such a special day but for our guests..no one from the kitchen came to speak to. We just sat there stunned. No sorry, we apologize..nothing. I called the manager the next day and she assured me that she would contact me after speaking to the chef and the waiter later that day. Well I have not heard from anyone. Absolutely disgusting way to treat customers who will now never return to our resort for either a stay or a meal. You should be ashamed of your customer service....

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Lambie06
OwnerRawleyResort, Owner at Rawley Resort, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
We strive to make our guests experience in all aspects of our resorts services outstanding.
We were pleased to see you and your guests enjoyed your meal and you found the service to be wonderful.
I am sorry about the delay in responding to your disappointment with your cake but the Chef along with the server were off and I wanted to speak to them both in regards to this matter.
After discussing this with our resort Manager she contacted you and we are pleased that the matter has been resolved to your satisfaction.
Should your travels bring you our way again in the future we would welcome the chance to change your opinion.
Canada
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We stayed for two July 2013 nights in one of the terrace rooms. We ate dinner in the resort's restaurant on our first night. The hotel calls itself a resort, a title that caused us some consternation prior to our arrival. We had visions of children scurrying about in loud pursuit of organized activities, tipsy young males spilling beer down their chests while they snapped towels at each other, and overweight middle aged men smoking cigars while their wives lolled about waiting to take out their curlers. None of this came to pass. The resort is, in fact, a tasteful inn where one can sit peacefully on a water facing terrace, look over a large lawn, and watch the world go by. Part of this world is the passing boat traffic but this too is quiet since the waterfront appears to be a no-wake area. Killdeers, robins, doves and the occasional Canada goose flit about on the lawn. Is there room for improvement? Yes. The live music is too loud at dinner. We did not eat in the restaurant on our second night for this reason. And don't get me going about the heavy over sized wine glasses. That being said, the food was fine and we appreciated a visit from the chef during our meal. We visited the inn because we wanted to hike in Georgian Bay Islands National Park. It would have been helpful if the inn had information about the ferry to the park.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BushPiggy
OwnerRawleyResort, Owner at Rawley Resort, responded to this review, July 21, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am pleased you enjoyed watching and relaxing on the terrace patio. Your review was passed on to the Chef and I am sure he would be happy that you liked his meeting you at your table.
The piano music played during and after dinner is one our guests highlights, however once in awhile there are some guests that find it loud. . I truly wish you had of brought that up during your meal and we would have done our best to move you to a quieter table farther away from the music. The wine glasses I cannot change but we do have smaller ones we use for tastings that if you had of mentioned that you found the glasses too heavy I know they would have looked after you immediately.
If you return, and we hope you do, please bring any concerns up to us when they happen so we can ensure your stay and service is up to Rawley standards.
Barrie, Canada
Reviewed June 25, 2013

We stayed at the rawley resort sat 22 June .. we checked in everything was perfect & ready .. we had terrace 1 .. fudge waiting soft music playing .. as it was 3 o,clock we were anxious headed to the pool for a nice relaxing swim .. while lounging at the pool Barb came thru to test the water .. and we struck up a nice conversation .. she asked if we would like a tour of the waterside lofts .. well we fell in love .the views and the bed ...... she said would you like to stay in one of these ..I will be right back she went to talk to liz and within minutes came back offered to move us over .. and in a matter of minutes .. we were in our new luxurious suite..2 levels .. spectacular view .we fell in love ... dinner that night was also perfect .. the dining room is so quaint and cozy .. service and chef top notch .while being seranaded by the piano playing soft beautiful tunes ...as we were heading out Eric the piano man .. yelled at us to join in on a sing along .. well what an enjoyable fun night that was about 15 of us . singing the night away .we felt like part of the family .breakfast that morning was also outstanding .. from the appetizer surprise of banana bread and fruit and a strawberry banana smoothie .all the beautiful little touches simply make this resort stand out from all the rest .. we will certainly be back .. also while taking pics outside Tom gave us a little history lesson on the hotel itself .Everyone is so friendly . Thanks Barb .. Thanks Liz and Tom .. looking forward to returning .Jocelyn Newman

Room Tip: all rooms are beautiful... waterside lofts suites have a spectacular view..and are very luxurious...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
OwnerRawleyResort, Owner at Rawley Resort, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
The staff joins me in thanking you for your much appreciated review. One of the highlights in the hospitality business is being able to please our guests. "Simply Perfect" is so great to hear. To us that makes us feel that we are doing a good job.
Our close team here at Rawley works together and strives hard to create the best environment for a happy and relaxing stay for you and yours.
Eric does enjoy playing to the dinner crowd and I am sure you saw how much he likes to entertain the guests. Many people have shared some fun hours around the piano singing along to familiar songs and at the same time making new friends.
I have shared your kind reviews with Barb. Tom, Chef Andy and Eric. They were very pleased to find out you were happy and thank you for taking the time to share your stay with Trip Advisor
We look forward to welcoming you back upon your return, which we hope will be very soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Port Severn
Horseshoe Resort
Horseshoe Resort
#6 of 19 in Barrie
Quality Inn & Conference Centre

Been to Rawley Resort? Share your experiences!