“Dinning experience”
Review of Rawley Resort

Rawley Resort
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Port Severn
Reviewed October 11, 2011

We have eaten at the Rawley Lodge serveral times and always had a wonderful experience.
The food has always been great and Eric the piano player always entertaining.
We ate at the Rawley late April, the food was boring and mediocre! We went again this weekend, the food portions were small (my husband left hungry) and the prices have gone up by at least 35%. I believe they have a new chef? Please don't let this gem go down hill.....What does it cost to add a few extra vegtables???

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank 368allison111
barryhoneyman, Manager at Rawley Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 26, 2011

Constructive criticism is welcomed with open arms as it allows us to improve the hotel and restaurant for future guests, providing that the reviews are justified. We always discuss the few concerns we receive with the Chef, myself and staff. Fine cusines is not served like home cooking as the food is prepared to expand on the flavours and what should be served together with that particular meal. Each plate is created and served differently. We have discussed your review and to satisy some of our guest's appetites we have added more vegetables to the plate.
Your remark that our prices have gone up 35% is misleading. Our prices have increased 5-10% due to the higher cost of services and food. This increase is the first we have made in 5 years and still leaves us at the minimum industry margins. Your April dinner was prepared by the Chef that left us at the end of June, so it was not the same Chef. Our new Chef enjoys a fine reputation in the restaurant business and we routinely receive many compliments from our guests. We are truly sorry that you were not pleased with the lack of vegetables, but if you had let your server know right away, they would have been more than pleased to look after your request. For your future information, Eric, the piano player, who plays here many nights travels and plays in different places so he is not here all the time. We offer a couple of wonderul pianists and a great guitar singer so that all our guests staying for a few nights may enjoy a variety of entertainment during their stay.
I noticed that you and your guests did not stay with us, and only dined in Rawley's Grill. You live in the neighbourhood so if you wish to stop by or give us a call we can discuss this in more detail. We hope readers visiting Rawley's reviews on Trip Advisor observe the collective wisdom of all the reviews, and know that we pride ourselves on personal service and quality throughout the resort. Please come for another visit and let our great team show you what we do best "Look after you."
Michael Wilson
Resort Manager

Reviewed September 27, 2011

Finally, after a few less than impressive performances rawley is getting it right. We were never a fan of the food, and the service has always been friendly but not professional. We were a little worried about going this year after the less than enthusiastic front desk girl informed us "there have been a lot of changes over the last couple of months." like it was a bad thing.

Well the changes have all been for the best and even though our reservation making was a little less than impressive, everything else was amazing! Food has always been our least favorite part of rawley and we usually eat our, but this time we ate every meal at the resort. Our dinners were incredible and the wines were an equal match, and a lady named Mary Lynne gave us impeccable service and one younger girl we had on another stay had improved a lot.

I had to call the resort manager Mike a few times to arrange some special things for my anniversary and he made it all happen, exactly the way I had hoped, and even added a few touches of his own. We met Mike at the resort and he is one of the few people you will meet in this business that really genuinely cares and goes out of his was to make your stay perfect.

To the girl on the front desk who may or may not be there still...Change can be a good thing, and at Rawley it is! Good work! We will definitely be back to see what else they have in store!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank YoungandInnLove

We greatly appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback about your stay with us at Rawley Resort. Thank you so much for your very kind words. Your review was shared with our staff and feedback such as yours is not only delightful to hear but can be used as a learning experience. This way all of us can work at improving so that your next stay with us will be even better.
We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Kind regards
Michael Wilson
Resort Manager

Reviewed August 16, 2011

First of all I would like to thank everyone who’s created this oasis and keeps maintaining it. We just fell in love with this property.

I’ve booked the suite with the waterfront view for two of us, since I wanted this stay to be romantic. But it just exceeded all our expectations! The room was very clean with tasteful and upscale décor. Our balcony was huge with absolutely stunning view.

All employees were very polite, we felt like we were welcomed, any request was fulfilled immediately.

The only criticism was the breakfast, which had a very limited selection and not the same every day.

We had a lunch once in their restaurant with water view, it was good not the best, but not overpriced (30$ pp with wine and beer).

I defiantly recommend this hidden gem to all my friends and will be back very soon.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 2, 2011

I have mixed feelings about my stay at Rawley Resort. It is a beautiful group of buildings with a spa, pool and gift shop (which I didn’t get a chance to view).
The desk staff was a mix of the perfect greetings and friendliness to an individual who called me “man”, wasn’t clean shaven and had his shirt half tucked in and half un-tucked with his tie in an awful mess. It looked like he just woke up. This particular gentleman basically talked to me like he was with a group of friends, to the point of annoyance and didn’t know much about anything when asked. I ran into the night watchman, late a few nights running and he dropped his broom and rushed to me as soon as he saw me lingering around. He was the total opposite of the other “man” at the front desk. I talked to him for a short while about the resort and surrounding attractions. He brought up the resort’s spa and pool but not to the point of pressure. He was cleanly groomed and well kempt, wearing the same uniform as the other individual. When checking in and out the service respectable. I was offered a hand with my luggage and there are a bunch of brochures in the lobby with local things to do as well as flyers for other resorts and golf destinations. The ladies at the front desk are quite helpful.
I attended a function there and wish I didn’t have to pay with my own money. Room prices seemed through the roof and unjustified. Food was good, but highly overpriced. I didn’t even see steak on the menu! The wait staff in the dining room was very good at points. Courtney is worth requesting. The live music was much too loud at times and turned us off spending more money on drinks to the point we went to our rooms to hear ourselves instead of talking over the music. A few quite intoxicated loud, young people made me wonder if the bartender would ever stop serving them but I didn’t stay around long enough to find out. Thankfully there is an LCBO across the street.
The overall cleanliness of the resort was better than good. Rooms looked like they had never been used before. No ice machine anywhere to be found, I had to ask a server where to get ice and that took ten minutes. I wanted to go up to the lighthouse but I was told it was out of service. To me that was one of the biggest let downs. It is such a beautiful area, building and atmosphere but without any view to enjoy it all.
I give my stay there 3 out of 5 for the nice resort but the little negative things seemed to add up. Also, the room prices were as steep or steeper than anywhere I’ve stayed and I travel often with my wife and family. I would shop around before returning the next time I was in the area.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank tgwheels
Reviewed July 1, 2011

My husband and I travelled around the Muskoka region staying at different inns before arriving at Rawleys resort .with no reservations they accompanied us with a water front 2-story villa. No one helped us with our luggage, the time was about 6:00pm the pool chained up maintenance had left for the day we were told so no swimming. then again we had no reservations.We were amazed at the bedroom, volted ceiling double doored balcony over looking the harbour, boats where docked there but we still had privacy, no t.v. in bedroom only in livingroom main floor.En-suite had no bathtub only a large shower and only one sink tho the bathroom was huge.Dinner was a mouth watering filet mignon and an amazing salmon 2 glasses of house wine total $107.00 the menu selection was minimal including the breakfast menu . Breakfast was included.The staff very friendly then again there were only two maybe three couples staying there when we did probably do to the chilly and stormy weather. theres a couple places to grab food outside the resort if you choose to.A cute town named Coldwater is a 5 minute drive away. There is not alot to do at Rawleys but relax which is what we wanted.For that touch of class we probably will return but with reservations.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sight-seeer36
Reviewed June 13, 2011

My husband and I went to the Rawley Resort the end of May to take part in the Jazz weekend. The band was excellent and along with the theme decorations of Mardi Gras we had a fantastic weekend.
Our suite was huge and had everything we could have possibly needed. This was not our first visit by far but it was the best time ever. Each time we stay at the Rawley we love it even more. Sitting on the luxurious deck chairs on our balcony over looking the water was heavenly. Thank you to Liz and staff for going above and beyond to make this trip a memorable one. Ernie's birthday weekend turned out to be a huge success. Cannot wait to go back to the Rawley. Anyone reading this and wondering if you should book a room, just do it you will love it. Lynne

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 10, 2011

Getting Married at Rawley Resort was the Best Choice we made!! The service was absolutely superb from the moment the Bride arrived, the night before. The Bridal Suite was glorious, and the king bed was so comfortable--we both enjoyed it to the fullest on our Bridal night. The staff was so organized, and went out of their way to ensure all events of the day and evening ran smoothly--All of our wedding guests were thrilled with everything Rawley has to offer--from the gorgeous grounds, to the magnificent decor, yummy food, excellent staff service, fun, fun, fun--it doesn't get any better than that!! Thank-you Rawley Resort, for making Our Wedding a very special memory that will last a lifetime!! Dave & Sandy

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
#7 of 19 in Barrie
Stone Gate Inn
Stone Gate Inn
#1 of 14 in Orillia

Been to Rawley Resort? Share your experiences!