“nice place”

and 1 more site!
Severn Lodge
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Port Severn
Reviewed June 7, 2007

We went with another family at the end of May (Victoria day). very nice place, we had a great time there. the staff were very nice and helpful. our rooms were right on the deck and the heated pool.
The only point that I dont like is the restaurant opening hours, it opened for 1 hour in the afternoon and 1-2 hours in the evening. we booked the rooms with no meals and I think we did the right choice because if you book your room with meals, you will miss our on at least 3 meals if you are staying for a long weekend. I think this trick is to make money out of customers.

otherwise very nice experience, we went out in the evening for meals. 20 minutes drive

Stayed: May 2007
1  Thank itawad

Reviewed October 9, 2006

I was lucky enough to be employed at Severn Lodge this summer. My partner and I have enjoyed our time at the Lodge and couldn't be more thankful to the owners, Ron & Cindee and Rick & Sue. From the minute we arrived they have been welcoming and appreciative of our work. We have been fortunate enough to meet some great friends from all parts of the world, many of which we plan to visit at some time. The care and love of the Lodge is evident by the Breckbill family and they are to be commended on their hard work and efforts. I would certainly recommend Severn Lodge as a place of employment.

Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Quitworkgotravel
Reviewed June 14, 2006

I came across the Severn Lodge website and thought how well presented and user friendly it was so though I would look further! I am glad I did. My family, 2 adults and 2 children (7 & 9) had a wonderful 3 days away. Upon arriving at the Lodge, I was greeted by well presented staff who were only too happy to help. The grounds were well presented and facilities well maintained. Our room had the most spectacular view and was clean and well presented. Our meals were delicious - and nothing was too much trouble for the chef and his team. The servers were bright and friendly. The childrens program hadn't started when we stayed but our children were always busy in the water on the various water equipment. We have reccommended Severn Lodge to many of our friends.

• Stayed: June 2006
3  Thank hjdhwh
A TripAdvisor Member
Toronto
Reviewed May 31, 2006

We have just returned from a weekend away at Severn Lodge. My husband, daughter and I had a fantastic and relaxing getaway. It is only 1 and a half hours from Toronto which is a bonus after a long week of work and the price of gas these days! The rooms were up to date and clean, not to mention the great view of the water outside our window. We had a lovely balcony that looked over the water. The staff were friendly, they employ many international staff which is a nice treat. Most of the other Muskoka resorts we have been to before employ college students whom are there for a good time not work, it was nice to have staff eager to help. The food is fantastic, the presentation was impressive too!
My daughter and husband were able to keep themselves busy with the pool and kayaks and canoes, they even were able to take out a jet ski for a hour, while I relaxed on the beach! Lots to do or just relax! Overall we had a very relaxing and pleasent weekend, we even booked a weekend in the fall upon check out!

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 2, 2006

I visited the Severn Lodge in late June and it was just awful. The website looks great and the staff are very plausible on the phone but basically I was sold a pup.
I arrived with my wife and baby daughter at 7.30pm after a long drive looking forward to an evening meal. Unfortunately the restaurant only opens for one hour each day, 6.00 - 7.00pm, and you must book your sitting before 12.00 on that day!! Did you ever hear anything like it? It's a set menu so you get what is cooked. The resort shop does not sell any food, only hats and jumpers, and the nearest supermarket is 30 miles away.
This is only one example from a rotten resort, I'll not go on any further. I would have written a report on Tripadvisor earlier, but as no-one else had done so I did not want to advertise the place unnecessarily.
Anyway the staff were unfriendly throughout our stay which ended early as I checked out and moved on to Niagra on the Lake. We weren't the only family to leave early as we met a family from Singapore who moved on after one night, I was stupid enough to wait four nights.
Be warned that bugs and mosquitoes are everywhere in the Muskoka lakes in june and we could not leave our cabin afer 6.30pm as we got eaten alive, even with spray on. Also I spoke to a guy in the next cabin who got charged one third the price I paid for the same facilities, a bit of a sickener when I had researched the whole thing as thoroughly as I could.
DO NOT STAY at the Severn Lodge under any circumstances, it is a really awful resort with no customer awareness ( the staff are all students from Toronto concentrating on their own holidays for free accommodation) and the facilities absolute rubbish.
The Cottage barbecues are fixed so you can't use too much Gas (it takes an hour to cook a small burger), the restaurant only opens for an hour per day with a set menu that you must book 6 hours in advance, the shop only sells caps and jumpers - no food- the nearest supermarket is 30 miles away, the watersports are expensive, ants infesting the cottage, 1950 antique TVs in the cottage with only limited local channels, noisiest aircon ever, frequent powercuts etc.
By the way there are mountain bikes for hire, but no helmets or safety equipment.
Check out the review from the guy who used to work there, I couldn't agree more. The family who own the "resort" seem to be interested only in squeezing as much money as possible out of the customers.
This cottage break was supposed to be the highlight of my family vacation in Canada but I have never felt so ripped off in my life. They also had the cheek to charge extra against my credit card three weeks after I had returned to Ireland because I had left early.

• Stayed: June 2005
15  Thank benceltic
Reviewed October 28, 2005

Our family of two adults, preteen and a teen stayed for a week this summer because the resort we usually went to every summer was torn down. I guess we expected this one to be the same. It wasn't, but that's not the resort's fault. It's on a grassy lake on the cusp of the Muskoka and Georgian Bay areas, unlike our other resort which was on a clear, pristine lake with a sandy beach. So the lake swimming wasn't the best. However, it was so hot that it was refreshing to have a swim. The one pool was crowded with small kids and as warm as bathwater (and something else?), so was impossible to swim in most of the time. An old post card showed that the pool used to be bigger but part of it was made into a hot tub which wasn't functioning for much of our stay. Our room was adequate, but quite dark because it was back in the trees. We had a nice screened-in porch, however. We missed the cabin we'd had in previous years, especially since a family with two young kids next door made a lot of noise. The youngsters would be running up and down the length of their unit by 7 a.m. and banging the screen door! Our 12-year-old met another girl her age and they participated in the kids club for the last part of the week, but our 14-year-old was literally bored to tears and spent most evenings racking up a horrendous long-distance bill on her cell phone calling her friends! There were very few teens there and nothing organized for them. The evening entertainment was okay, but most shows were sparsely attended. The food was good at lunch and dinner, but the buffet breakfasts were exactly the same every day except for the way the eggs were done (scrambled one day, poached the next, etc.) There was no grapefruit juice unless you asked for it and you also had to request toast. Supplies kept running out, such as chocolate milk, whole wheat bread for toast, freshly ground pepper, tonic for gin and tonic, etc. The outdoor BBQ lunches were wonderful and we loved how you could order a drink from any table, chair or beach blanket on the property! The boat fellow was surly and seemed to be truly unhappy. Apart from a noticably big turnover of young, summer staff the employees were pleasant and service quite good, except for slowness in the dining room. The air-conditioning unit in the dining room was broken for a couple of days, so meals weren't the most comfortable experience, especially because the resort was rationing ice! The air conditioner in our room didn't work for the first couple of nights because the remote control was broken, but the staff eventually installed another unit that worked fine, but was so noisy I had to use my earplugs to sleep! Overall, we enjoyed Severn Lodge, but if my husband and I return, we'll ask for a brighter, quieter room with a view, send our kids to camp that week, and book a time that didn't offer a discount for families, so that maybe there would be fewer kids in the pool!

• Stayed: July 2005
6  Thank itchyfeet4
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 30, 2005

Have stayed at Severn Lodge a number of times. This stay was just as wonderful as the other times, excellent food and facilities and a great kids program. The place is very clean and well maintained.It is a really nice place to just relax and let the kids enjoy themselves.

• Stayed: August 2005
#2 of 3 in Port Carling
Stone Gate Inn
Stone Gate Inn
#1 of 14 in Orillia

Been to Severn Lodge? Share your experiences!