“A wonderful weekend wedding resort!”
Review of Severn Lodge

Severn Lodge
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Port Severn
Toronto, Canada
“A wonderful weekend wedding resort!”
Reviewed June 13, 2010

I recently had my wedding at Severn Lodge and would HIGHLY recommend this resort for anyone considering a wedding or large function, as well as for any other weekend getaway. Everything was absolutely wonderful - the staff (both at the event, as well as the planning staff leading up to the weekend), the food, the rooms, the activities...! They met and exceeded any of my expectations - and all of my guests expectations as well! I can't even count the number of glowing comments I received from all the guests - and many of them are planning on coming back up for another weekend getaway because they enjoyed it so much! This is definitely a hidden gem for anyone looking for an amazing spot to go in Muskoka!!

• Stayed May 2010

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Toronto
Reviewed June 7, 2010

We had our wedding at Severn Lodge over the Victoria Day weekend (Friday to Sunday). We had an awesome time! The staff is amazing, everything went smoothly, and all our guests told us how much fun they had.

Leading up to the big day, the planning was very easy. They thought of everything and were very accommodating. We were unable to do a taste testing because the kitchen was closed until our opening weekend, but we had a meeting with the chef Hubert Obermeier and were given a dinner voucher as well.

On Friday we went to the Avalon Spa at Christie's Mill (the spa that Severn recommends). The spa was very pretty, with a really nice deck. My pedicure was OK (I'm used to a massage chair) - but my RMT massage was fantastic. We had champagne and an average cheese/vegetable/fruit assortment.
That afternoon we ran through the rehearsal as guests started to arrive. It felt like summer camp or something out of the movie Dirty Dancing! Everyone started swimming, kayaking and canoeing - the set up was very cozy and since we were basically the only party that weekend, we just took over the place! That night we hosted a welcome BBQ and the food was delicious - very fresh with lots of options. We had a bonfire with smores and were singing along with a guitar in no time. An amazing start - everyone loved it and it was a nice way to ease into the big day.

Saturday was the wedding day and I was so relaxed because everyone was already there and the staff again were very helpful and on the ball. The weather was a bit cloudy but when the ceremony began the sun peaked out. We walked down the dock and had the ceremony on the lawn in between two trees. Everything was perfect. Again, the cozy set up was perfect for drinking and socializing and we took some more photos out on the dock. We decorated the Heritage Room with white indoor lights - with red stretchy chair covers, white table clothes and red knapkins and the room turned out really pretty. Everything ran seamlessly.
For dinner our options were either a rack of lamb, hazelnut crusted chicken in a port wine sauce or a phyllo beggers pouch filled with spinach, portobello mushrooms and cheese in a tomato and pepper coulis. We also had an Asian inspired salad with enoki mushrooms, tangerines, mangoes and mixed greens + fresh bread. Everything was delicious and we received lots of compliments - even though we didn't have a taste testing it was exactly what I expected. We also had late night pizza which I would HIGHLY recommend for every wedding!!
They had to clear out the reception room for dancing but that was fine because people could go outside and enjoy the perfect evening - along with another bonfire and smores. We danced the night away and I ended the night cuddling in front of the fire with all my friends.

On Sunday I finally got to go paddle boating and swam for a bit while slowly saying goodbye to everyone. The breakfast buffet is very nice but it should be noted that you should bring some food for lunch - on Friday the kitchen wasn't open and we had to go into town - I think a snack bar might have been open for purchase on the weekend.

We stayed in the Cedar Cottage - it was really cute with a balcony and jacuzzi. Nice and clean. The other cottages looked really nice too and we also had friends who stayed at the lodge - some of them shared a room with separate bedrooms - no one had any complaints. Although the way the rates work is a little strange, as they are per person so it can be a little pricey. Our first night was complimentary. My parents stayed in a cottage that overlooked the water - really pretty.

An absolutely perfect wedding and perfect weekend. Great service, beautiful location, delicious food and of course, amazing company. We can't wait to go back to celebrate our anniversary.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
ontario
Reviewed October 15, 2009

We visited the lodge for Thanksgiving and it was wonderful.
The one thing I noticed is how clean and well kept the entire place was.
We rented a cottage and it was large and very nice.
The food was great, especially the Thanksgiving Dinner. They went all out with carved pumpkins lit up at night which created a nice ambiance. I would certainly return to this place. It would be a great place to rent a cottage in the summertime.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed September 21, 2009

I attended a good friend's wedding at Severn Lodge this weekend (Sept 19/09) and it was a wonderful experience.

The staff was great, the food excellent and there was always something to do.

At most weddings, you need to find ways to kill time between the actual events (ceremony, supper, dance, etc.), which usually means hanging out at the hotel with nothing to do.

The morning of the wedding, I was able to go kayaking, play some tennis, horseshoes, ping-pong and just relax on the dock with a magazine. Other guests made full use of the heated pool and the lake to get in a quick swim before the ceremony.

After the ceremony, we simply had a few drinks and relaxed by the pool as we waited for supper.

The Lodge was very accomodating as my friend had to book on short notice due to the foreclosure of the lodge they had initially booked for their wedding. Severn Lodge agreed to honor the same rate as the previous lodge, even if it was below its standard rate.

The only downside was the restriction on food. The dining room was only open for a few hours in the morning and in the evening, so if you wanted a snack at any point during the day, you needed to bring your own. The same goes for beverages (the cottages do have fridges if you need them).

It was a great weekend at a beautiful resort

Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Cleveland Ohio
Reviewed July 4, 2009

Our family stayed at Severn Lodge the last week and June and we were blessed with a near perfect week of weather. We have a 16 year old and an 11 year old who loved the many planned activities and are excited about back again next year. Fishing off the dock was surprisingly good for pike and bass. Kids caught a ton of pan fish. My older son and I played tennis just about every day. Kids ski'd 3 times which were part of the activities offered by the lodge. Evening entertainment was a lot of fun and we have many fond memories just from the various acts the lodge brought in for evening entertainment. We also made a number of new friends with families from Buffalo, Cleveland and Ontario. The guests were all great as well. The staff was very service oriented and friendly. Food was excellent and the menu varied each day. You won't leave a single meal hungry. For business travelers and sales reps, the wireless high speed internet is nice to have to stay on top of things return a quick email if necessary. Make sure you take plenty of sun screen and a good bottle of bug spray. After sundown, you will encounter mosquitos. Boat rentals are available but a bit expensive. Uou can take out canoes and kayaks at no charge.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Ontario
Reviewed June 14, 2009

Severn Lodge, is my favourite place on earth. There is never a dull moment there, you are either cought up in swimming, boating, fishing, the entertainment or simply relaxing in the sun. Some of my best childhood memories happened at Seven Lodge, and I will never forget them.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 6, 2008

We stayed at Severn Lodge the week of Aug 17-24, 2008. We were a party of 6, 2 adults and 4 teenagers, aging from 15 to 18. The apartment was a non-housekeeping one with a kitchen. We would be cooking our own meals and when I asked, I was told that everything was supplied, all I needed to bring were beach towels and our food. Remember that. It will become important later.

The resort is fairly small compared to others we've been to, Fern for example, but the landscaping is quite lovely with lots of flowers and plantings beside the paths, and the apartment we had featured its own deck (though a sliding glass door off of the dining room, with bbq & deck chairs/table), huge living room with big picture windows, and sliding glass door and balcony (with another chair and sm table) off of the master bedroom, all with a wonderful view of the lake.

The Sunday evening we arrived we all went through the apartment and were VERY pleased at how clean everything was and at how nice everything looked. I noticed that the windows were all new. We especially liked the view and the shaded deck. I went around turning the lights on. I was very surprised to find that the plug to a dining room lamp had a prong missing and from the burn marks it had obviously been in an electrical accident. I was furious that housekeeping had left this in the apartment. What if one of the kids had tried to plug the lamp in? I cut the plug off of the cord, took it to the main lodge and showed it to the desk staff. They didn't care. I explained how dangerous it was. They cared less. This got me angry and when I demanded to speak to a manager I was told that there wasn't one on site. (No manager on site in the early evening of check-in day??) I told them that I expected to hear from a manager and that I wanted an apology. I expected to hear from someone the next day, but nothing. The day after that, Tuesday, I went to the main lodge and asked if they still had the plug and if the resort manager had been informed. I was told that they still had it and that the manager knew all about it. !
I never received any kind of apology. Obviously, nobody cared.

When we arrived at the apartment on Sunday, we found it supplied with two rolls of toilet paper, 6 bath towels, 6 face towels, and 6 face cloths. Two rolls of toilet paper doesn't last 6 people very long so every other day I had to walk up to the main lodge and beg for toilet paper. How humiliating. In addition, I hadn't realised that the bathroom towels (1 each) were expected to last us the week. I was expecting that they would be replaced when needed but no, I was told that if I had wanted the apartment cleaned and the towels replaced daily I needed to have purchased the optional Housekeeping pkg. I wish that this had been explained to me when I booked. I would have brought my own bathroom towels and toilet paper instead.

The girls loved the recreation facilities available. The swimming pool was heavily chlorinated (offsetting the pee in the pool I guess) so we stayed out of it after the first swim but they loved hanging out in the jacuzzi. The water trampoline in the lake was a big hit as well. Canoes & kayaks were usually available (at no extra charge) and we spent a lot of time exploring the local shoreline.

We didn't attend most of the evening entertainment offered as it was mostly fiddling and folk music but the girls loved the ventriloquist on the Thursday night. The magician (Friday night) had some very nice sleight of hand tricks but we wished that he hadn't wasted/spent so much time stretching out his act asking practically every single person in the audience their name etc. We're still trying to figure out where the melon came from.

We opted to eat in the dining room on our final night at the resort. I had to send the basket of bread back - freezer burn - but the second basket was lovely and we gobbled it up. Prices at dinner ranged from $13 or $16 (I misremember which) for the vegetarian option to $23 (I think) for the prime rib. Desserts were in the $5 each range. The prime rib was excellent, and the spinach entree was tasty as well. The Lodge is paying attention to the restaurant (by employing a proper chef) and the kitchen is producing a very high quality product (frozen basket of bread aside), highly recommended.

Overall we had a nice time but the negatives outweighed the positives enough to encourage us to look elsewhere for our vacation fun next year. When I checked out the desk clerk asked me if I wanted to put my name down for next year. I wanted to ask her if I'd ever get the apology I was owed.

• Liked — The view.
  • Disliked — Uncaring front desk staff.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Port Severn
#2 of 3 in Port Carling
Rocky Crest Golf Resort
Rocky Crest Golf Resort
#26 of 55 in Muskoka District

Been to Severn Lodge? Share your experiences!