“Severn Lodge is a great place to relax and enjoy quality time with family.”
Review of Severn Lodge

Severn Lodge
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Port Severn
Cleveland Ohio
“Severn Lodge is a great place to relax and enjoy quality time with family.”
Reviewed July 4, 2009

Our family stayed at Severn Lodge the last week and June and we were blessed with a near perfect week of weather. We have a 16 year old and an 11 year old who loved the many planned activities and are excited about back again next year. Fishing off the dock was surprisingly good for pike and bass. Kids caught a ton of pan fish. My older son and I played tennis just about every day. Kids ski'd 3 times which were part of the activities offered by the lodge. Evening entertainment was a lot of fun and we have many fond memories just from the various acts the lodge brought in for evening entertainment. We also made a number of new friends with families from Buffalo, Cleveland and Ontario. The guests were all great as well. The staff was very service oriented and friendly. Food was excellent and the menu varied each day. You won't leave a single meal hungry. For business travelers and sales reps, the wireless high speed internet is nice to have to stay on top of things return a quick email if necessary. Make sure you take plenty of sun screen and a good bottle of bug spray. After sundown, you will encounter mosquitos. Boat rentals are available but a bit expensive. Uou can take out canoes and kayaks at no charge.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Ontario
Reviewed June 14, 2009

Severn Lodge, is my favourite place on earth. There is never a dull moment there, you are either cought up in swimming, boating, fishing, the entertainment or simply relaxing in the sun. Some of my best childhood memories happened at Seven Lodge, and I will never forget them.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 6, 2008

We stayed at Severn Lodge the week of Aug 17-24, 2008. We were a party of 6, 2 adults and 4 teenagers, aging from 15 to 18. The apartment was a non-housekeeping one with a kitchen. We would be cooking our own meals and when I asked, I was told that everything was supplied, all I needed to bring were beach towels and our food. Remember that. It will become important later.

The resort is fairly small compared to others we've been to, Fern for example, but the landscaping is quite lovely with lots of flowers and plantings beside the paths, and the apartment we had featured its own deck (though a sliding glass door off of the dining room, with bbq & deck chairs/table), huge living room with big picture windows, and sliding glass door and balcony (with another chair and sm table) off of the master bedroom, all with a wonderful view of the lake.

The Sunday evening we arrived we all went through the apartment and were VERY pleased at how clean everything was and at how nice everything looked. I noticed that the windows were all new. We especially liked the view and the shaded deck. I went around turning the lights on. I was very surprised to find that the plug to a dining room lamp had a prong missing and from the burn marks it had obviously been in an electrical accident. I was furious that housekeeping had left this in the apartment. What if one of the kids had tried to plug the lamp in? I cut the plug off of the cord, took it to the main lodge and showed it to the desk staff. They didn't care. I explained how dangerous it was. They cared less. This got me angry and when I demanded to speak to a manager I was told that there wasn't one on site. (No manager on site in the early evening of check-in day??) I told them that I expected to hear from a manager and that I wanted an apology. I expected to hear from someone the next day, but nothing. The day after that, Tuesday, I went to the main lodge and asked if they still had the plug and if the resort manager had been informed. I was told that they still had it and that the manager knew all about it. !
I never received any kind of apology. Obviously, nobody cared.

When we arrived at the apartment on Sunday, we found it supplied with two rolls of toilet paper, 6 bath towels, 6 face towels, and 6 face cloths. Two rolls of toilet paper doesn't last 6 people very long so every other day I had to walk up to the main lodge and beg for toilet paper. How humiliating. In addition, I hadn't realised that the bathroom towels (1 each) were expected to last us the week. I was expecting that they would be replaced when needed but no, I was told that if I had wanted the apartment cleaned and the towels replaced daily I needed to have purchased the optional Housekeeping pkg. I wish that this had been explained to me when I booked. I would have brought my own bathroom towels and toilet paper instead.

The girls loved the recreation facilities available. The swimming pool was heavily chlorinated (offsetting the pee in the pool I guess) so we stayed out of it after the first swim but they loved hanging out in the jacuzzi. The water trampoline in the lake was a big hit as well. Canoes & kayaks were usually available (at no extra charge) and we spent a lot of time exploring the local shoreline.

We didn't attend most of the evening entertainment offered as it was mostly fiddling and folk music but the girls loved the ventriloquist on the Thursday night. The magician (Friday night) had some very nice sleight of hand tricks but we wished that he hadn't wasted/spent so much time stretching out his act asking practically every single person in the audience their name etc. We're still trying to figure out where the melon came from.

We opted to eat in the dining room on our final night at the resort. I had to send the basket of bread back - freezer burn - but the second basket was lovely and we gobbled it up. Prices at dinner ranged from $13 or $16 (I misremember which) for the vegetarian option to $23 (I think) for the prime rib. Desserts were in the $5 each range. The prime rib was excellent, and the spinach entree was tasty as well. The Lodge is paying attention to the restaurant (by employing a proper chef) and the kitchen is producing a very high quality product (frozen basket of bread aside), highly recommended.

Overall we had a nice time but the negatives outweighed the positives enough to encourage us to look elsewhere for our vacation fun next year. When I checked out the desk clerk asked me if I wanted to put my name down for next year. I wanted to ask her if I'd ever get the apology I was owed.

• Liked — The view.
  • Disliked — Uncaring front desk staff.
Knokke-Heist
Reviewed August 30, 2008

We have been staying at Severn Lodge from the 17 to 24th of august and we had a lovely time over there. Food was good, service at the front desk and in the dining room was friendly and helpful (special hello to Davy from Hamilton) and we especially liked the lake view which we could see from our room. The children (14 and 16) were fond about the internet which kept them in contact with their friends in Europe. The rooms are ok, well kept and clean. Evening entertainment is a bit 'old fashioned', but that was not what we were there for. We did however witness that when Severn Lodge is fully booked it gets crowdy in the dining room, especialy at breakfasttime and generally it gets more busy and less relaxing when Severn Lodge is 'invaded' by groups of families that seem to have been coming there for years and know each other. The last weekend we spent there they were all over the place, having fun (good for them), but it changed Severn Lodge from a relaxing, well situated holiday resort surrounded by a beautiful nature into a crowdy, noisy (wateskiing all day) family holiday resort. So we felt lucky that we had been spending, the days before, some really nice moments enjoying the beautiful scene. We might be back...

• Liked — nature
  • Disliked — when it got to crowdy
Toronto, ON
Reviewed August 26, 2008

We will go back to Severn Lodge, but mind you: if you go there with a toddler, you won't be able to leave him alone at the daycare. The girl working there just can't do the job. She called us back to pick up our son after 15 minutes.

Other than that, all the ingredients are there for a great Muskoka holiday. If you were cottaging at Muskoka before, you will know that sometimes the sewer backs up, so you will not complain on that.

More details about our holiday at Severn Lodge, in my blog post here:

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — No service at the toddler room
torontofamilyoffive
Reviewed August 20, 2008

This is our third year returning to Severn Lodge. The kids love the activities, food and staff. The adults have a chance to relax. The food is excellent, with lots of fruit and veggies for the kids and many choices for all. Rooms are simple and well maintained. A beautiful location. It is the easiest and most relaxing holiday we could think of and we fully intend to return next year!

• Liked — Beauty of site
  • Disliked — Accomodation is very simple
Goderich, Ontario
Reviewed July 14, 2008

Just got back from a 3 night stay at Severn Lodge. This is our third time at the facility. This time we had our two young sons with us. The room was clean and freshly renovated, great view, great fishing, boating, swimming.
We had a little trouble with the TV the first night, all channels were locked and the person with the password had the night off. My wife thinks I'm over-reacting, but I was pretty frustrated after speaking with a half-dozen different staff members without any help. Was swapped with another TV day 2 with no other issues.
A big reason we chose Severn again was the child care provided. There is a supervised toddler room where we thought we'd be able to leave our boys for a few hours and maybe catch up on some sleep. Unfortunately the child supervisor was more interested in beach volleyball than in watching our boys and was unable to take care of them for longer than about 15 minutes. Pretty disappointing. We ended up leaving a night early and we were not even asked why, or how we enjoyed our stay, pretty apathetic staff this year.
We will try someplace else next year.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Lack of child care/apathetic staff
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
#2 of 3 in Port Carling
Rocky Crest Golf Resort
Rocky Crest Golf Resort
#23 of 55 in Muskoka District

Been to Severn Lodge? Share your experiences!