“Grandparents Rejoice!”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Port Severn
Barrie, Canada
“Grandparents Rejoice!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

My husband and I and two grandchildren (ages 5 and 3) spent four nights at Severn Lodge. The lodge is well maintained and has a lovely, relaxing atmosphere. There are numerous activities for children and adults alike, and the kids clubs are staffed with wonderful teens who were clearly enjoying themselves while caring for their charges. We chose to do most things on our own and the kids only spent a couple of hours one morning at the kids club. My hubby is very active and the kids had a blast jumping in and out of the swimming pool under his watch. The nice part is that if I chose to go on my own with the grandkids, they wouldnt miss out on a thing because of the kids clubs. (I have some health issues and am not as active as my hubby). We also thought the food was very good, particularly dinner. For example- an appetizer of smoked duck breast salad with feta and watermelon, followed by an entree of lamb, garlic potatoes and the best assortment of vegetables I've enjoyed in a long time.... Wow! Now come a couple of caveats. Check in is between 3:00 -4:00 pm, but unlike many resorts, if you arrive early you arent able to leave your luggage and explore the resort. ( We asked and were told we could not. ) Our room was clean and kind of quaint and pretty, but it was quite small. The twin bed and pullout couch were very uncomfortable. We also found the cost to be quite expensive (well, for us anyway, perhaps others won't think so). The total bill for four nights, with meals, was approximately $2200.00, and that was a special with kids at half price.

2 Thank Carol S

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
George Town
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

Our family enjoyed our 5 night stay at Severn Lodge. Accommodations are basic, staff very good. Our kids (aged 8 and 5) enjoyed the Kids' Club; staff are very flexible and look after the kids well. This kind of kids' program is pretty rare at other resorts it seems, and they do it well.

Lake is really weedy -- would be nice if they could or would cut the weeds back to improve swimming.

Number of boats available were fine most of the time, but at other times, all were gone. Suggestion to add a few more canoes/kayaks, etc.

We rented a power boat for a morning and went around Gloucester Pool. Was a highlight, especially when we stopped at Big Chute Marine Railway -- unique and amazing experience that no one seems to write about. Really worth it for kids and adults alike.

Everyone on tripadvisor seems to rave about the food. We thought the food was OK, not as good as proclaimed. They advertise that most of the food is cooked from scratch, but it is clear that is not the case at breakfast and lunch, nearly all of which is standard/good (but not excellent) food service quality. Most of the deserts at dinner were food service quality (ie: they come in frozen from the supplier). Some of the dinners were pretty good, but some were only OK. The point is: the food is not bad, but in our experience, it was nothing to rave about (unlike what many others say). Just our opinion.

Evening entertainment (ventriloquist, singers) were very good, but it seems sparsely attended, which was ashame from the performers' point of view.

Severn Lodge seems to be one of the few offering this kind of family vacation (Delawana now closed), so by default, that makes it one of the best! A very good value. We would go back.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

Highlights of our trip included: the waterfront and water activities; very productive fishing expeditions; friendly staff that had smiles on their faces(espescially Nick our server, and the lady in charge of boat rentals); and of course the AMAZING food...lots of choices on the menu everyday, food was always fresh and delicious. Chef Hubert is totally an awesome chef, and a very gracious man. He cooked us the 6 pound pike we caught that morning for our appetizer that evening... so delectable our whole party raved about it for days! Severn Lodge is an intimate, well run place which we enjoyed greatly.

Room Tip: Sofa beds are defintely not as comfortable as the standard beds.
Berkshire, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

Just back from a peaceful week at Severn Lodge and for once I felt like they had really thought of everything! Upon arrival we were greeted with a smile, our lodge was waterfront and great facilities (although I would advise that you not stay on the ground floor if there are people above you, gets very noisy). The facilities were fabulous, my 10 year old would happily jump into the lake every morning and play for hours on the water trampoline. My youngest enjoyed taking the kayaks out or having a paddle in the swimming pool and they both loved the fishing. The kids club was tailored towards the younger children however my boys ducked in whenever they felt like it, it was very easy going. The staff in all areas were great and chef Hubert looked after us particularly well. Not a cheap place but known to the locals as the best lodge for miles so this was an excellent choice made by my husband to end our wonderful trip to Ontario.

Room Tip: Go top floor rather than ground.
1 Thank NOverton_13
Milton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

Severn Lodge has been a family get-away spot for me for 30+ years now. It was a great place to visit as a child with my family and I am happy to say it is still a top choice today now that I have children of my own.
Great kids programs, great food, and above all a beautiful location not too far from Toronto but still gives you the "northern Ontario" feel.
With 3 children aged 1, 5 & 6 there is something for all of them to do from playing in the sand, exploring nature on the trails and back to the lake for some mid-afternoon tubing. These are memories that stick with kids for ever.
For the adults there is evening entertainment, boat cruises, or just relaxing on the dock enjoying the gorgeous views.
If you want to take your family somewhere to enjoy everything Northern Ontario has to offer Severn Lodge needs to be on your list of resorts to stay at.

1 Thank Neil H
Palo Alto, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

Wow! I love this place! The staff was friendly and the food was incredible. Chef Hubert is unbelieveable. Everything that came from his kitchen was perfect. My wife and I stayed right next to the lake and our view was amazing. GOD BLESSED CANADA, can't get enough of the scenery. There's not a better place to stay in the area. I love the way the lodge is tucked back in the corner of Glousterpool Lake. The family owned and operated business has an enjoyable feel in comparison to the corporated owned options that I've stayed at in the past. The price is right given what you walk out to in the morning. Nothing like sitting on the adirondack chairs off the main T-dock and drinking my morning coffee while reading my Bible. GOD BLESSED CANADA, SEVERN LODGE, and my trip. Thanks to all that were a part of it.

Cleveland, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

Looking for a relaxing getaway? Severn Lodge is the answer! The kids program is fantastic. We have two daughters (four and six) who are still talking about their counselors and the activities. The food is wonderful and included in the price. Severn Lodge offers an all-inclusive (except alcohol) experience better than any other we have visited. We will be making this an annual trip!

Room Tip: All rooms have a fantastic waterfront view.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Port Severn
#2 of 3 in Port Carling
Rocky Crest Golf Resort
Rocky Crest Golf Resort
#19 of 55 in Muskoka District

Been to Severn Lodge? Share your experiences!