“A must summer get-away for "people" with kids”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Severn Lodge

and 1 more site!
Severn Lodge
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Port Severn
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“A must summer get-away for "people" with kids”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Just returned from a week's vacation at Severn Lodge in Muskoka. My husband, daughter (4.5 years old) and I REALLY enjoyed our stay. The food is very good AND plentiful. Our Hillside suite was perfectly situated by the pool, dining room and beach and most importantly, the kids program was top-notch. The rec staff (Alex, Tyler, Dana and Kat) were AWESOME with our daughter. The program runs from 10 am to 12 noon and again from 2 pm to 5 pm each day, so parents actually DO get a break. It is hard to believe that this traditional family resort exists only 1.5 hours from Toronto. We plan to go back next summer. Not cheap, BUT worth every penny for all members of a family!
Dawn Murphy, Toronto, ON

1 Thank Dawn M

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Ctown
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Went up to Severn Lodge with the family. Had an awesome experience. Kids loved the staff and all the planned activities. Will do again and again. My mother loved her service from Isabella in the dining room and her in room jacuzzi tub.

Room Tip: We stayed in Lakeshore and it feels like you are sleeping on the water.
Roseville, Minnesota
Reviewed July 15, 2013

This was my first visit to Severn Lodge. The location is absolutely stunning! Our room overlooked the lake, and it took my breath away when I walked in. The patio with the room is perfect for a little solitude, and the room more than comfortable. It is not luxurious, but very clean and comfortable. There are lots of activities for kids to allow parents to relax, and there are enough things to do for adults if that is your choice. I kayaked, swam and hiked and other's fished. There was evening entertainment that lots of people raved about, but I chose to enjoy the peacefulness of the location. The meals were wonderful, and I was surprised by the variety and choices. Plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables. The management team is unobtrusive, but readily available. I can tell their attention to detail in everything about the Lodge, including the choice of staff who are capable and attentive and eager. Wonderful place to hang out!

1 Thank CynthiaWhite
Reviewed May 20, 2013

We have gone up to Severn Lodge every year since our wedding three years ago... And each year is absolutely amazing! From the beautiful scenery, the amazing food by Chef Hubert, and all the activities that are included - we will definitely continue to come back for many years to come!! Everyone is so friendly, the grounds and the rooms are so well maintained, and it always brings back such great memories of our wedding...

It really is a perfect weekend get-away!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 155019Travel
Reviewed November 17, 2012

Over the summer I revisited Severn Lodge, after several years and I must say that I was extremely disappointed.
My first visit several years ago was when a lovely couple Sue and Rick were the owners and were very active in the day to day running. Unfortunately it was not the same when I returned. They had given the lodge over to one of their children, who we rarely saw and when we did he looked grumpy and didn't want to interact with the guests. That is where I feel that the lodge has lost much of its charm and family friendliness.
The servers in the dining room were amazing, however, the Manager seemed to be very uncomfortable around us and we felt that he wasn't able to maintain a managerial role in the dining room. He was flustered and overwhelmed when we asked for a different dinner time and to be sat at a certain table.
Kendra was one of our servers for the week and was fantastic! She accommodated my children's fussy eating and made our time there just wonderful! When the manager was not on shift, Kendra was so lovely and seemed to do a better job as she was able to accommodate all of our request with ease.
The kids club also was outstanding. Peter and Greg were wonderful with the children and if it wasn't for them, I'm not sure we would have stayed the whole week.
Despite the beautiful location our family will not be returning if the management continues the way it is.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Samantha7676
Markham, Canada
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Every year about 14 of us come here for thanksgiving.
The food is always amazing as well as the service.
The atmosphere is great, an amazing family get away.
Swimming in the summer off the dock if fun if you can ignore the weeds.

A great place to break away from the city!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Ryan O
Reviewed September 27, 2012

We stayed at Severn Lodge as a family at the tail end of a 2 week summer trip home to Canada to see friends and family. I'd never heard of Severn before but did my research (thanks Tripadvisor) and found this gem. After a week at a cottage and making meals I wanted an all inclusive place with great kids programs where I could kick back and relax and let someone else cater. I lived in Ontario 30 years and on all my many trips up the 400 did I think there was such a great Muskoka experience this far south and west. Like many, I had always gravitated to the Huntsville or Gravenhurst areas. The Lodge is just a short drive off the 400 but feels a million miles away. Gloucester Pool is beautiful and we had the best afternoon of our vacation exploring it on a jet ski rented from the Lodge. The kids programs were fantastic (fishing derby, water skiing, a canoe trip up the lake to a small waterfall for playing, frog catching, fort building, weird science experiments for the boys and girls hang-out morning getting their nails painted) I have to admit, I was a tad jealous of my kids. The food was awesome and it was nice to feel pampered with table linens at dinner. The room we stayed in (which was called Waters Edge) was beautifully situated right over the lake, but really only so so for decor and comfort. Kind of a budget hotel type bathroom, and the airconditioner was so loud it was unusable. The beds had those cheesy synthetic floral bedspreads. I really do hate those - uncomfortable and i always wonder if they get washed. But as I said, beautifully situated. When I woke my first morning I was greeted with the quintessential muskoka view out my front verandha - mist over the still lake and loons calling to me. It made me want to take a canoe out right there and then - which you can do, because there are plenty of them available at the dock that can be borrowed at any time. So I managed to shrug off the bathroom, the bedspreads and the airconditioner and appreciate all else the Lodge had to offer. We met many families there who have been back year after year. And now I know why. We booked again for next year - a small cottage this time, not a room, and for a whole week.

Room Tip: Water's edge is a small building with 4 rooms set apart a bit from the rest of the resort and ar...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
#2 of 3 in Port Carling
Rocky Crest Golf Resort
Rocky Crest Golf Resort
#18 of 55 in Muskoka District

Been to Severn Lodge? Share your experiences!