“Great Summertime Waterfront Dining”
Review of The Grill

The Grill
Ranked #1 of 15 Restaurants in Port Severn
Cuisines: Canadian
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Excellent freshly prepared meals served in a warm, friendly setting with outstanding waterfront views. Also enjoy a large over-water and boat-up patio open May-Oct with tropical drinks, great service and a Caribbean vibe. The Grill is open year-round and is also a terrific fall and winter destination with large hearty meals and front row seats for the parade of migrating wildlife stopping off for a rest in the open water visible out every window in the Grill.
Toronto, Canada
“Great Summertime Waterfront Dining”
Reviewed July 5, 2014

After my wife & I visited the Dam Grill for the first time, back in 2012 and we have told many of our friends about what a great place it was. We are very fortunate to be able to cruise along the beautiful Trent Severn Waterway (TSW) aboard our boat and figured that a return trip to the restaurant was due. This time around, we made it a destination for the Canada Day long weekend so that our kids and little granddaughter could enjoy it as much as we did the first time around. Nobody was disappointed!

Arriving for dinner around 5:00 pm, we found the outdoor patio of the restaurant about two thirds full and we we were seated immediately, right next to the water. What a view! Being situated right across the Severn River from Lock # 45 of the TSW, we enjoyed a steady stream of passing boats of all sizes. The location could not have been better for alfresco dining :-)

Having being recently diagnosed with MS, I have been following a strictly gluten free (G/F) diet, with my wife, daughter and granddaughter prefering G/F menu items as well. We were pleasantly surprised to learn that, although they do not explicitly refer to G/F on their main menu, they do offer a separate listing of items that are G/F. Confused? Don't worry, our server was too, as she did not even know that this list existed - & I think she didn't really grasp the concept of 'gluten free foods'. Moving forward, it would be great if they could offer some sort of indication on their main menu what is G/F. Restaurants such as Milestones simply have a little icon beside their menu items that are G/F & that might be an idea for the Dam Grill?? Would add value for the customers, as well as eliminate confusion with the staff. . .

My only reservation this time around was that our server was clearly struggling with her knowledge and people skills. Not that she was rude or anything, just woefully inexperienced and lacked the self confidence & personality that this type of work requires. Too much 'robot' and not enough 'sure, I'll look into that for you'. And the whole G/F thing really threw her for a loop.

Apart from the server issue (which was not a deal breaker, by any means), the food arrived quickly, was prepared perfectly and we all enjoyed our meals tremendously! Even our 15 month old granddaughter finished her dinner - including asparagus - with no complaints :-)

Will we return? Absolutely. We are looking forward to it!

2 Thank Boogabooster_com

Port Severn, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“What a great place to eat!”
Reviewed July 1, 2014

I have been to the Dam Grill many, many times now since its opening, and every time I go there it is a fantastic experience. Sitting out over the water enjoying one of their appetizers or entrees with a nice cold beer, or a delicious margherita and some good company make this a great place to visit whether you are just in town for a visit, or if you are a cottager enjoying the spoils of summer. The atmosphere is second to none, the staff are friendly and chatty, the food is excellent and not overpriced, and the beer is ice cold! Can it get any better? I will bring friends and family back to the Dam Grill every chance I get. Dock your boat, enjoy some food and relax while the sun and water put a smile on your face.

Great job as always guys!
Shane and Carrie

1 Thank Shane622
St. Jacobs, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good food. Good price. Great atmosphere”
Reviewed June 29, 2014

Dining at The Dam Grill has been a good experience, numerous times for us. The view and to have this reasonable priced restaurant in Port Severn is fantastic. Service was excellent.

1 Thank Mary P
Penetanguishene, Canada
“Very disappointed!!!”
Reviewed June 27, 2014

I've actually taken some time to calm down before writing my review! I visited the dam grill last Sunday. We asked our friends and family to join us,we arrived before 5pm and asked for a table for 8 outside on patio. We were told we could go inside to have a drink and a table would be 15 minutes. So far so good!A ?manager? approached us and said due to fire regulations we couldn't sit together? I explained we had before but she insisted we couldn't! We were all very disappointed.I ordered wings and ate 1...they were fatty and rubbery! So I ate my salad..we were not asked how our meals were. Most of us were not happy with our meal,perhaps a new cook? Last year .my meal was fine. As we left we exited via the patio....Strange 2 tables of 8? Then my colleague said the previous night at 530 pm, he was with a party of 8 and was seated on the patio. Well I won't go back!!! We drove 35 minutes one way to sit on the patio over looking the water. I believe this manager?makes her own rules and not a fire regulation! Funny they can rearrange a table for 8 inside! I found her rude and not good for the resteraunt! This was on Sunday June 22,2014 so if the owner is reading this you will know what staff was on.

5 Thank Gayle M
TheDamGrill, Owner at The Grill, responded to this review, July 4, 2014
Gayle,

We're sorry to hear of your experience. We appreciate you taking the time to offer feedback and we take it seriously. I apologize for the time it has taken to respond. We needed some time to speak with the manager and several other staff working that evening and to review the video of your visit to see for ourselves what transpired.

You are correct that we do frequently seat tables of 8 or more. That is common of course and there were several large groups seated the evening you visited. I believe there was a misunderstanding about WHY we could not seat your party when you arrived.

Unfortunately we could not seat your party on the deck immediately when you arrived as there were no adjacent free tables that could be pulled together. Although there were two tables of four free they were widely spread across the deck and we make it a policy never to lift tables and carry them over other seated groups - for obvious safety reasons.

Our host offered temporary seating inside while you waited for a waterfront table that was about to free up on the deck where you requested. The best seats available inside for your party of 8 were two tables of 4 across the isle from one another. Our manager could not pull the tables together as they would block the a door which is a main fire exit from the dining room. This is unsafe and against the Ontario Fire Code. We certainly do apologize for the inconvenience this caused for you and your party.

Regarding the concerns with your meal, we do make it a practice to have servers do quality checks multiple times during your meal to make sure everything is to your liking. To ensure this is happening we've added tracking to our point of sale system which records each time they visit your table for a quality check.

Thank you for the feedback and we hope you will visit again. If you find any part of your meal is not to your liking don't hesitate to ask for the General Manager, Allan and we will rectify it immediately.

Regards

Roger and Judy
Owners
Ingersoll, Canada
“Disappointing experience”
Reviewed June 26, 2014

I looked on this site to see what restaurant was the best in Port Severn The Dam Grill was #1. We went for dinner, I ordered a margarita and my husband a draft beer . When it. arrived I took a sip and I told the waitress it was very sour and that I couldn't,t drink it. She said she couldn't take it off the. bill because of some government thing Don't know if true I told her to take it back. give me something else she said she couldn't I would have to pay for it . I was really upset but ordered. a pizza. I have to say it was really good no complaints. But I was not happy and. It ruined the experience We had gone there for our anniversary. When the. Bill came she had taken off the drink. I just don't understand her doing that. Why ? Very bad customer service she was the manager . Other staff were great really nice

TheDamGrill, Owner at The Grill, responded to this review, July 4, 2014
Carol,

I'm sorry to hear of your strange experience with your margarita. I really can't imagine what your server was referring to with 'some government thing'.

I can relate when you say the margarita was sour. Our margaritas are all made using an authentic traditional Mexican recipe and we use *fresh* squeezed limes we prepare daily ourselves. We use hand shakers to mix each margarita thoroughly before we serve it. However, because our fresh lime juice is not as watery as typical bar lime made from concentrate. Fresh lime tends to separate from the other ingredients into layers in your glass and the lime juice falls to the bottom. We suggest customers stir it occasionally while drinking it to keep it well mixed. Sometimes servers offer a small straw to use as a stir stick.

The glasses are rimmed with fresh sea salt which is an important part of the recipe and when taken as part of your sip it helps to cut the tartness of the fresh lime in the margarita.

Unfortunately often people wipe away the salt from the rim to avoid it or drink from a straw which ensures you will get mostly lime juice from the bottom of the glass. Wow is that sour!

Of course it's also possible that too much lime was added to your drink.

Our policy is that if your mixed drink is not satisfactory because it wasn't prepared according to our recipe we will replace it immediately with a new one. I hope your server offered you this option.

However if the drink was prepared properly according to the recipe and the customer simply doesn't like it or changed their mind and wants another selection we normally do not strike the first drink from the bill as no mistakes were made and we cannot re-serve the drink elsewhere. Still, we will gladly get you another drink of your choice.

Again, sorry to hear our margarita was not to your liking and thank you for your feedback. Should you wish to visit again I'd be happy to offer a (less sour!) Muskoka Sunset or other cocktail of your choice. Please ask for me or Allan our general Manager

Regards,

Roger

p.s. Glad to hear you enjoyed the pizza!