“Feeling cheated two ways left bad taste despite positives”
Review of Sunnylea Resort

and 1 more site!
Sunnylea Resort
Reviewed July 1, 2013

This resort has many advantages other housekeeping cottage resorts or single cottages don't have: the grounds are very well maintained and very clean, the cottage that we stayed in was very clean and cozy, and it was pleasant to be there; the resort has extra amenities as a pool - true, small, it doesn't work for laps, but for playing with the kids is fine; the pool area is tastefully done with lounge chairs, flowers, bar plot, thermometer, clock; there are people who clean and maintain the resort hired by the owners; there are a number of interesting things to see and do in the area (they can be accessed from another resort/motel etc); there is a kid's playground, sand box, table tennis, horse shoes.

The obvious disadvantages for me:

- too close to highway 400 - about 500m. I could hear the hum of the highway from my bedroom and had to sleep with window almost closed;
- motor boats leaving and coming or hanging with their motors on by the dock: the smell of gas penetrates around the resort, as well as the noise. If you are looking for a calm place surrounded only by nature, that is not your best bet;
- the beach is small and the water is full of weeds - unswimmable, if you care for that (I do).

- And the Core of the Matter: dealing with Shirley. I did not appreciate the way Shirley does business from the very beginning - she had sent me confirmation for two nights instead of one, for double the price, which she corrected after I called her second time. That was OK. Next, she specifically indicates on her web site and confirmation email, that they prefer payment in cash. In many places like that, when you pay in cash, you can negotiate not being charged tax - the tax is for the government after all, but the government will not know about those cash payments that people prefer because they don't have to declare them as income. Shirley collected all the cash, the price + the tax, and didn't even give us a receipt! Since we were leaving on Monday of a long weekend, and it was likely that there weren't people coming after us, I asked her if we could stay a couple of hours longer past the 11 am check out time. She said she will check and will let us know. I was wondering where she would check, because we were already in the office, and one would expect that any booking information was kept there; but of course I couldn't know for sure. When I called her initially on the phone, she knew right away she had available cottage for the two days/one night I requested, and which number the cottage was. My friend and I decided to go back to the office and at least ask for receit. Shirley wasn't pleased about this, said we cannot use the receipt for tax purposes, and gave us a piece of paper that you and I can print out of our own printers, and wrote the amount we paid on it - no number, no copy for her, basically just a fake piece of paper to shut us up.
She also said after that, she checked and there were other people coming to our cottage after us - so we do need to leave the cottage at 11 am, but we can stay in the resort. We already doubted that, but decided to follow the rules - we were out of the cottage the next day by 11; however none of the cleaning staff rushed into it to clean it and no other people showed up until we left about 12:30...I thought that our request wouldn't cost them anything extra and will make it more convenient for us to use up the morning, have lunch and then leave - it it appears that we had annoyed Shirley with our request for a receipt and she had reciprocated by refusing a simple convenience for us.

I am definitely not going back there - Ontario is huge and there are so many other nice places to stay.

If you mind being charged tax that is obviously pocketed by the owners, and dealing with an unpleasant woman that doesn't seem to care about your impression of the resort, then you'd be better of finding another one of the multitude of choices in the area.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
8  Thank Anna P
sunnylea, Owner at Sunnylea Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2013

I am happy to see that this women appreciated our clean resort and amenities. I am not happy that she can assume that we operate our business as she did and post it on a public forum. We do not pocket cash - we are just trying to keep credit card costs down. I did let them stay on the property after check out time - my computer with my schedule is not kept at the front desk so I did not have an immediate response but did let them know within minutes that people were coming in but that they could stay and use the facilities so I do not understand why she assumes I was not being helpful. She should not assume things and post it as fact - I think that is called slander. She did not confront me with her concerns so I had no chance to respond to her to clear up her misunderstandings.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

I am not really a "roughing" type and this resort meets the best of both worlds for me and my family. Gorgeous cottage, internet, TV and most importantly AC for us who are not as outdoorsy, but LOVED the pool, little beach and paddle boats for me.
Men abosolutely loved not only the accessibility to boats, advice (and the beer store 2 min away lol) and I had a great time with Shirley and her guests - make you feel like family. The kids had a great time in all the activities available :).
I have never felt so welcome and comfortable at a resort - thank you both for a great vacation and cant wait to come back!

K and M Milek and team

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Katharine M
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Had a Fantastic weekend at Sunnylea Cottage Resort. The cottage was clean and comfortable.It had everything we needed. there is lots of room on the property and everything you need to have fun!. The location was perfect as it took under 2 hours to get there. The owners are very accommodating and friendly. I have absolutely no complaints about this resort and I can't wait to return.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank HeatherC3769
sunnylea, Owner at Sunnylea Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2013

Hi Heather

Thank you very much for the wonderful review. I am glad you all had a great time and hope that you come back again and again. Hope to see you over the summer. Shirley and Hap

Reviewed September 5, 2012

We just spent our second year in a row vacationing at Sunnylea Resort and I felt I needed to share what a great place it is to go to get away and have a wonderful vacation.
When we first picked Sunnylea as our choice to vacation at, it was because I read how it was a great location for fishing and wasn't too far from home. It also had stores, restaurants & even the LCBO right down the street from the resort. I liked the idea of once the car was parked, it would stay parked for the remainder of the trip.
The owners make you feel so welcome.They not only provide you with the services they list on their website, they will lend out personal items from their home, tool-shed or wherever it takes to accommodate you.
We have stayed in two different cabins and both were very clean and the rates were very reasonable. If you are into fishing like we are you will be very pleased to know that you don't even have to venture out very far from shore to catch an abundance of many different types of fish! If you don't have a boat no worries because they have motor boats & canoes you can rent or just take out one of the paddle boats for free.If you prefer to fish from shore, there are many beautiful spots to enjoy that are within walking distance from the cabins. I can not even think of one negative thing to say about my experiences there except that they are never long enough! We are looking forward to going back next year!

Room Tip: They have all different size cabins to accommodate you whether you are travelling solo or in a group...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Barbara-Edward A
Reviewed June 16, 2012

We have been here a few times on the ATVs. Clean cabins and affordable. Easy access to trails, gas and food. Hosts are accomodating, we had to borrow a few tools, etc for repairs and no issues.

Room Tip: Small cabins are nice and you can drive right up to them
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Motorbragg
Reviewed June 4, 2012

Great Location, 1 1/2 hours from Toronto, 2 1/2 from Niagara. The cottages are well equipped, clean, and the rates are very reasonable. We have been going for more than 8 years to relax and do some fishing ( always enough for a fish fry ). There is lots of room for kids to play, have a campfire, swim and just have a good time. Hap and Shirley have always been very friendly and rectified any concerns. Just came back and am booking for the Fall.

M. Haynes
St. Catharines

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Mark H
Reviewed June 1, 2012

Sunnylea Resort Is A Great Place To Unwind For A Weekend Or For a Holiday With family or friends, Beautifull Big Pool, Lots of Lawn furniture To Accomodate The Guests Also, Rustic Cabins But Very Clean And Well Equiped With All Appliances And heat For Those Few cool Evenings, Also Great Big Fire Pit To All Enjoy For Roasting marshmellows telling Ghost Stories Or just A Fun Chat Around a Roaring Fire.Guests have been Going To this Spot For Many years For Great Fishing Also have Boat rentals, The Owners And Staff Alike Are Always Willing To Cater To Your Every Whim, Also Fine Dining At Rawley Lodge, Christie's Mill. And The Dam Grill, You can reach these Places Within Walking Distance from Sunnylea, Or by Car or Boat. I Myself Have been going There For 10Years I Recommend You Check This Wonderfull Resort Out Only An Hour And a half From Toronto On the Trent Severn waterway M.W V.H

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
#4 of 4 in Port Severn
All Tucked Inn
All Tucked Inn
#1 of 2 in Waubaushene

Been to Sunnylea Resort? Share your experiences!