“0 star accommodation, 5 star scam”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Probolinggo
Yoschis Mount Bromo View
Ranked #19 of 28 Probolinggo B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 4, 2013

My girlfriend and me stayed at Yoshi's guesthouse for 1 night last august. While the Bromo itself is absolutely stunning, our stay at Yoshi’s guesthouse has been a terrible one. This is definitely a NO-GO, be warned!

Apart from the regular annoyances regularly seen at extremely touristy areas (such as overpricing, bad cleanness, noise, bad food etc.) I will focus on a big scam this guesthouse is part of, which goes like this:

You are happily boarded a bus, let’s say in Surabaya, heading for Probolinggo when suddenly the bus stops (as it later appeared not so far from the bus terminal) and a friendly, but little stressed guy enters the bus and asks in relatively well English: “Anybody going to the Bromo volcano? I got a minibus here going to the Bromo. If you are going to the Bromo, get out here.” So you (naively, I have to admit) think: Wow, we just have a great connection. As you have collected your luggage and the big bus has departed you realize that there is no minibus here.

The guy who got you out of the bus appears to be the owner of some touring company. Now he will try to sell you an overpriced ticket (75.000 rupiah) to your accommodation on Bromo. As I was too lazy to walk to the bus terminal and take apublic bus, we purchased this ticket and decided to forget about the inflated price. While some (very angry) tourists had been waiting for over an hour, our minibus left in 20 minutes.

So far so good.

We told the driver to drop us off at Yoshi’s Guesthouse (I made a reservation myself by telephone) and he did so. After a little hassle (suddenly our reserved 200.000 rupiah room was unavailable, but they happily told us about their 400.000 rupiah room) we got the key for our room we reserved. After 30 minutes I came back to the reception to inquire about a 4WD to the Bromo for the next morning.

Now things started to get very weird. They told me that our tour depended on the room number we stayed in, which in its turn was connected to the touring company which dropped us at the guesthouse. In fact, behind the reception desk they have a large whiteboard with the administration of room numbers connected with the company, which transported their guests to the guesthouse. I told the receptionist that I had absolutely nothing to do with this touring company and that I made the reservation for the accommodation myself. He replied that he could not sell me whatever tour to the Bromo as “the owner of the touring company will get very angry”. In the end, I gave up (the place is in the middle of nowhere, could not just walk to a guesthouse next door), and booked the tour they offered (around 400.000 rupiah for one 4WD I believe).

After we came back from the early morning tour I asked about transport back to Probolinggo as we wanted to catch a train to Yogya via Surabaya. Again our room number was asked and this “special” whiteboard was looked at. Now there was suddenly no public transport anymore. In other words, we were stuck again with this stupid touring company. At this point my blood was nearly boiling. I repeatedly insisted that I wanted a PUBLIC bus and finally the receptionist called to let the public bus pick us up.

To summarize: Yoshi’s guesthouse has let itself in with criminal practices. The personnel are of the worst dishonest type. If you stay here you will be sure to be treated as merchandise. And if you must stay here for whatever reason be sure to take public transport. If you arrive in Probolinggo by bus insist to be dropped at the bus terminal and take a public minibus from there to Bromo.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Jazzplanet

Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

We were there during peak season and this was the last cheap hotel available. I say cheap but it was still very overpriced for what you are getting, but that seems to be the way it is in Bromo. Rooms were comfortable enough, big blankets as it gets cold at night, and they seemed to have been cleaned. No problems with noise like has been said in other reviews but maybe we were just lucky. Food at the restaraunt was okay but service was really slow. Staff were reasonably friendly. For one nights stay its acceptable.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Adam E
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Never stay there againThis hotel still far away from gate of bromo. I stayed at bungalow type for about Rp.700 000. At the same rate other hotel provide more service and facility compare to this hotel. Hot water unit out of order i couldnt get shower, tea bag and coffee bag available but boiled water unavailable because only available at restaurant that start open at 03.30. They should provide a ketlle in this bungalow room. Tv has one indonesian chanel with bad signal.
I felt recepcionist staff more welcomes to foreigner tourist . May be because they pay more rates? I have no idea.
Sorry to say but Overall i m not recomended this hotel for whom visit bromo. Try to compare with other hotel before decide. Not worth for what i paid.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Stayed here as part of an Intrepid tour and was pleasantly surprised. The hotel is quaint with lots of character. The rooms were a little musty but that's a product of being high in the mountains. When we arrived there were 2 large moth balls in the bathroom but after removing them, we settled in fine. No complaints about my stay here.

The hotel served decent food and the staff was very friendly.

Room Tip: All the rooms are completely different. One was super small but after asking to move, our friends en...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 24, 2013

We stayed in Room No.5 and to be honest that room wasn't worth to pay 210.000 RP for it. The room was realy small, toilett outside and in the room was strong mold smell. The neighbours downhill were realy noisy during night. Even with using earplugs we could hear them. In the end we found bedbugs in the bed who bite us a lot. We complained at the reception and got a new room with a little discount what was a little bit better. In generell I can't recomment to take this rooms.

Stuff was realy friendly. A young Guy named "Kukum" working at the reception can take you with his motorbike to the waterfall or other places for a good price.

The Hotel is located in a Village, around 2 hours walkig distance from the Bromo. In the village is nothing special, but you can find a batcave just 15 Min. walking from Yoschis.

Room Tip: If you stay in the Economy-Rooms choise the one in the direction of the Restaurant!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 15, 2013

The place is decent and a good option for one night stay for the purpose of visiting Mount Bromo. Its affordable and for the normal range. Location of the place is decent. They also arrange for the necessary transportation for visiting Mount Bromo.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Arrived at the hotel and was pleasantly surprised of the layout which is similar to that of a little village with small cottages. Restaurant was okay with friendly service and the staff speak decent English.

Rooms have no heating. Power is erratic, I experienced 3 or more power trips in my stay there. Hotel gave a rather measily towel and bar soap and no shampoo. Beds were nice and big. Came with a comforter and a silk blanket thing which kept me warm enough through the night. The hot water was erratic and I had the worst showering experience when warm water turned into icy cold water as I was showering.

Free wifi in the restaurant and decent food, though loads of MSG inside. Jeep service was okay as it was provided by the guide. Only trouble was that it had a modified sound system that resulted in the seating area being tight and crammed.

The staff tried to make our stay pleasant. So an average rating from my short 1 night stay.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends