“A nice family week end” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Auberge du Lac-a-l'Eau-Claire

Auberge du Lac-a-l'Eau-Claire
Montreal
“A nice family week end”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

We recently spent 2 days at the Auberge. The room we had was very nice, clean and with modern furniture.
There is a lot to do around the hotel. The nature is really beautiful. The pool is pretty impressive.
We had dinner at the hotel and i was to say that i was not really impressed. Not only it's quite expensive but the portion are pretty small.
Overall i will recommend this hotel/resort even if we spent close to 500 $ for 2 days trip.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Montreal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013

Our company had a two day retreat right after Christmas at this Auberge, and so I packed my bag and headed out of Montreal for what I thought would be a 2-3 hour drive. What a surprise when I was in my 4th hour of driving, the rolling countryside, the beautiful land. Its a bit out of the way, but this is what makes this place special. The last part of the road to get here is a bit off the beaten path and when you are on their private road headed to the Auberge, you know you are in for a treat.

The Auberge itself is big and spacious, large bar area for group parties, a great restaurant, with lots of fantastic menu items, done in the french gourmet cuisine style. A great selection of wines. The Bar itself could have used premium top shelf offerings, but I chalk that up to it being right after christmas and all the good stuff was probably wiped out :)

You are deep in the woods, next to a beautiful lake. In there winter there are activities galore, like Snowmobiling, Ice skating, Snowshoing, cross country skiing, ice fishing and dog sledding. The Dog Sledding area is just off the hotel, far enough that the barking dogs dont bother the guests, but close enough for a peek. If you've ever wondered what 150 barking dogs sound like, it quite interesting to walk over and take a look. This hotel is fun in the winter. Although I have no idea what it would be like in the summer.

My room was quaint, with a metal key to open the door, old school. Brought me back to the days of hotels befor all those ugly plastic keys invaded the industry. Huge room, enough room to really spread out. We had an informal wine tasting gathering in one of our colleague's rooms where 12-15 people comfortably fit. The offerings on cable were the usual fare of 40-50 chanels, so you'll get all the important stuff in French and English, however my TV was an old analogue, so the image was not what I've gotten used to over the years.

The bed was comfortable, and a mid soft mattress. I like hard mattresses, but I was able to survive on this one. One aspect I really appreciated was that they use hypoalergic pillows and the rooms have not one shred of carpet. All wooden floors polished and clean to a shine. I check under the bed and the floor was spotless, not a spec of dust, so the staff maintains their rooms well. Suffering from alergies, I typically have difficulties in hotel rooms, but this one seemed as clean as a Hospital operating room.

Hot showers, spacious bathroom, fresh towels, decent soaps and shampoo offerings, one doesnt need to bring much to get underway in the morning.

Breakfast is a buffet, with typical fare, although they keep it well stocked with beans, bacon, sausage, lots of different breads and buns, salads, crepes and fruit. There is something for everyone.

As far as cost goes, I wasnt paying, but if I remember correctly, it was equivilant to a city hotel price. I would imagine it all depends on when you are planning a stay. This is a destination hotel, not a 'lets stop on the way' hotel. Its too far for that, you really have to be determined to get here.

All in all, I plan on returning someday with my wife and perhaps immediate family. I judge all properties by that barometer. If I would return to the property, it met or exceeded all my expectations.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank StevenLazaroff
Thornhill, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2012

Very quiet, the next town was a good 10 minutes away by car. The hotel has wooden floors in the hallway and it ran, it wobbled in the room. The rooms are very spacious and very clean. The food is really very good. Highly recommended is especially the trout (the from the lake on the doorstep and the it in many variations). The kitchen style I would describe as typically Egyptian. The atmosphere in the restaurant was good, even though sometimes very crowded (reservation especially for dinner is recommended), since the hotel area from companies for business events (congresses, training sessions, meetings and similar) will be used.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Quebec
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

What a discovery! I was invited to a conference here and only wish I could have stayed longer. Magnificent site deep in the woods, not far from Parc de la Mauricie,whic, incidentally, is a superb national park. Lots to do outdoors in all seasons, especially fishing, boating, swimming in the clear clean lake, hiking or cycling around the lakes. Winter sports such as snowshoeing, cross-country skiing and dogsledding will be offered once the snow falls. Watch out for the bears! This is the real woods, not near any surburban area.
The dining room offered delicious healthy food. I had trout fresh from the lake both days at noon and a lovely gourmet 4-course meal in the evening, followed by a bonfire - yes, with marshmellows. The visitors from France couldn't figure out why we were putting twigs into the fire and then eating the ends off!
Our accommodation was in the condos, so my colleague and I were housed in a terrific 2-bedroom condo with knotty pine from floor to ceiling, full kitchen equipped for 8, dining-room table and leather sofas with fireplace. Can you beat it?
All in all, if you are looking for a deep woods experience, I strongly recomment this place.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012

We travelled down from La Malbaie so were quite tired when we arrived and as a previous contributor mentioned it is about 9km out of St Alex des Monts however the hotel and its setting were breathtaking. Our rooms were on the third floor ( a lift would have been handy -no porter available) were huge and one over looked the lake. Bathrooms were clean and well stocked with high class toiletries. The hotel is well laid out and the bar area was spacious and modern-the staff were young and attentive and coped well with our limited French vocabulary. The aquatic centre was well equipped but the pool temperature was very chilly-the lake was warmer! The steam room and jacuzzi were excellent.
There are a lot of outdoor activities, bookable at the outdoor reception. We had great time on the lake with pedalos and Kayaks but felt the choice of mountain bikes for European taste was limited- the bikes' brakes needed adjustment to be safe for the younger riders in our group. The bear and beaver excursion was an amazing highlight of ur stay. We were priviledged to see black bears and their cubs sleeping in trees and feeding from the Ranger, Normand ( who had a great love of the wildlife). The beavers were delightful and the viewing area meant my photogapher husband gained some superb close up shots.
Food in the restaurant was excellent and portions were good especially after a day of lake activities. The breakfast buffet was the best we experienced in Canada with a huge variety of options from healthy fruits to hearty cooked eggs/bacon and sausages.
It was a great hotel in which to chill and enjoy nature -We would love to return.
Just a note to UK visitors taxes/tips were included in the prices for food/bar so made this stay very easy.

Room Tip: We had rooms in the main hotel building which were a good standard.When departing it is easier to us...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Savannah, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2012

Me and my wife spent our wedding anniversary at this very beautiful hotel.
The hotel is very well located, surrounded by nature..the sightseeing is impressive, majestic! There is A LOT of recreational options!

We will return for sure!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2011

My husband and I stayed one night at this hotel, we got the Evasion package, which is one night stay, a five course meal, breakfast, and a bottle of sparkling wine. We paid close to 400$ for one night, plus extras since the wine was not included, and we also upgraded from breakfast to brunch on sunday.
I have never been so disappointed in my life in a hotel. I have travelled a lot, in many countries as well, and I know what I should expect for the price. This hotel claims to be four star, I can tell you I recently stayed in a 3-star hotel for business, in a remote city in Quebec, and the room felt more luxurious there. The room we got was *barely* 3 stars, let me explain: first I should tell you we were in the pavilion rooms, not inside the inn, but by the lake. Supposedly these rooms have been recently renovated, I don’t even want to imagine the rooms at the inn. The room had a fresh coat of paint, but aside from that, the furniture was dated, carpet questionable, fissures in ceiling in bathroom, TV was ancient, with only 4 channels, no decorations. The bed was a double, not a queen, old sagging mattress, pillows were overdue to be changed, no duvet to be seen anywhere. I mean, come on. Even my cheap 3-star hotel (80$ per night) had comfier pillows and mattress (queen-sized for that matter). The duvet was polka dot black and white, with the underside black. When I opened the bed, there were streaks of dried stuff (I don’t even want to know what) on the black side. I was so grossed out. Clearly they don’t clean their comforters between guests. Now for the bathroom: outdated. The showerhead is cheaper than I saw anywhere, just a plain nozzle, spraying water in 3 different random directions. In most 3-star hotels, the curtain rod is nowadays curved so that you get more space inside the shower. Not here. Inside the shower I felt in a 2-star hotel.
We had a bottle of sparkling wine with our package. It is the cheapest one you can get in SAQ (Hungarian, about 10$). Clearly they’re trying to cut corners. I’m not saying that they should provide with expensive Champagne, but at least not the cheapest wine out there. That’s just bad marketing.
Now for the food. My husband and I are both foodies, so we were looking forward to our meals. I should mention we booked this getaway because the Auberge du Lac a l’eau Claire is part of the Hotellerie Champetre club, which is supposed to have high standards for food. Well I won’t be doing business with them anymore. The food was horrendous. If you’ve ever eaten at Casa Grecque (which I consider to be almost fast-food), the food is better there – and you’ll pay 10$.
For starters we had a soup, quite unextraordinary. Then we had some prosciutto-like dried venison, which tasted quite bland. My husband just brought back some Jamon de Serrano from Spain, and although he bought it from a grocery store, it tasted better. Then another disappointment: for our main course we both chose the trout. By the way, another option was tenderloin but you couldn’t choose how you wanted it done. We were basically told that the whole chunk of meat was in the oven since the beginning of the evening, and since we got to supper at 8pm, well we’d have to settle for well-done if we chose the steak. Unbelievable. Especially for a 4-star hotel with so-called gourmet food. Back to the trout: it was dry, unadorned, no spices, nothing. There was rice on the side, it was too hard, unedible. I like my rice al-dente usually, so that gives you an idea. Second side were Green Giant vegetable, I kid you not. No amount of butter on top fooled me. Then we had a plate of cheese as our fourth course. When I asked the waiter what kinds of cheeses they were, what type of milk (goat, cow, yew?), I got a I-don’t-know-I-just-work-here answer. He nevertheless went to ask in the kitchen, and came back with “they’re Quebec cheeses”. Unbelievable – bravo for four-star dining. Dessert was the only thing that was decent. Definitely not worth the splurge. Presentation was bad, by the way. All dishes were served in run-of-the-mill, dollar-store type dishes. At least there were fabric napkins and tablecloths.
Brunch was okay, nothing amazing, especially for 32$ per person. It is the same amount you pay to have brunch at the Reine Elizabeth hotel in downtown Montreal, the two experiences are not remotely comparable.
Oh one other thing: Sunday morning we wanted to go to the pool/spa/gym before breakfast (their add says you can enjoy a swim first thing in the morning). Well the complex doesn’t open before 9, and breakfast finishes at 10 (and checkout 11). Which is why we had to upgrade to brunch instead: we would have had to take a shower before breakfast, then another one after the gym. It would be better if the sporting facility opened earlier. When we mentioned that, we basically were told “too bad that’s the way it is”. After reading other reviews, I’m noticing I’m not the only one with complaints regarding customer service there.
Over all, we paid more than 400$ for all this and feel we were majorly gypped. Do they really think we’re stupid? You may have fooled us once, but you’ll never see our money again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
17 Thank aai b
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint-Alexis-des-Monts
Hotel Sacacomie
Pourvoirie Du Lac Blanc
Pourvoirie Du Lac Blanc
#1 of 5 in Saint-Alexis-des-Monts
Chaumiere des Tourelles - Gite & Chalet
Chaumiere des Tourelles - Gite &...
#3 of 5 in Saint-Alexis-des-Monts
Serenita Spa Auberge
Serenita Spa Auberge
#2 of 4 in Saint-Alexis-des-Monts
Chalets de la Riviere Sacacomie
Chalets de la Riviere Sacacomie
#1 of 2 in Saint-Alexis-des-Monts

Been to Auberge du Lac-a-l'Eau-Claire? Share your experiences!