“Conference Attendance -- Surprise”

Novotel Chateau de Maffliers
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Maffliers
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed March 21, 2013

This place seemed to have two personalties.

The new wings, that house the sleeping rooms, are pretty austere. The room is comfortable but nothing fancy and not particularly comfortable although fully serviceable.

The meeting space -- that also includes the restaurant, bar, pool, etc. -- is in a chateau building. It is really nice. The restaurant was very good -- more than I expected for a Novotel. Our group had arranged meals here for three nights along with lunch and the breakfast.

We had an unseasonal snowfall -- I think around 10-15 cms. This carpeted the grounds and made it a really lovely experience. However, the hotel was not well prepared and the walk from the main building to the chateau felt a bit treacherous.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed February 13, 2013

I am quite satisfied with our stay at this hotel. It is a Novotel and not the Hilton for gods sake.

Standards are what I would expect from a Novotel, clean and everything you may need but not luxury. Good value for what you get. Plus the added bonus of a pool and sauns and a very pretty chateau main building and grounds.

We ate here tonight and the steak was better than the one at Ralph's in Paris at half th price.

Good for business and convenient for CDG or the Villepint parc de exhibition centre - If you have a car.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Tarzanhey
Reviewed February 5, 2013

I booked this hotel based on good reviews, but our experience did not match the “Château” level. Overall it is a place whose only charm is truly beautiful grounds and its quiet peaceful location in a sleepy town inside its own large park. When it comes to your room, it has NOTHING to do with any imaginable chateau – the rooms are located in a building with antic exterior most closely resembling the stables for the château, but these stables are totally remodeled into a typical modern faceless hotel industry storage place for humans.

The service and ambiance are to match - you get a stables-like, not at all a "Château"-like service or a room.

Details:

1). I was suspicious about a place calling itself a “chateau” and selling itself for a rather inexpensive rate; but positive surprises happen sometimes. This was not the case. At the moment of our car entering through the poorly painted and otherwise unseemly looking property gates it was clear the place was solid budget-type, no thrills. The park turned out very beautiful, though – the only beautiful thing on the whole property.
2). The location of the hotel was strategic, close to CDG airport (35 min on Sunday 9:00 am) and Chantilly (same distance), that was our goal for the two days staying there. I also visited Versailles from there, it took about an hour with Garmin GPS each way on Sunday, when traffic is relatively sparse. Thus the location was very good for driving to places in Paris' periphery, but I would dread to go from the hotel to the center of Paris - it is too far and involved for both the driving or the public transportation.
3). The room was small, ceilings low; it felt like a big cage. The full size bed was good enough. The room was furnished in an efficient style, middle-ground/no coziness, but it looked relatively fresh; could be worse.
4). The bathroom was functional, shower decent.
5). WiFi connection was very good.
6). The view to the west from one window of our room was quite beautiful, on the beautiful park with birds singing, and especially on clouds at the sunset.
7). Parking is plentiful and free.
8). There is an elevator in the hotel.

True Disappointments:

1). The biggest disappointment was the huge disconnect from the hotel presentation on websites to reality. Character- and comfort-wise the hotel is just another typical Holiday Inn, with standard faceless rooms and basically no service. They really should imply you get a “stables” service here.
2). There is a chateau-looking building on site; currently there are the restaurant and the pool inside. The restaurant entrance greets you with dirty worn-out carpet and the crowded foyer, all looking like a cheap casino. People sat inside in coats, it was cold there. This restaurant looked as one of the most miserable I ever saw, and certainly uninviting.
3). To use the indoor pool you’ll have to walk to the aforementioned building from your room. In this cold climate, it invalidates the whole idea.
4). Although the hotel is traffic-noise free, the rooms are not soundproof and on a busy day one will hear the noise from other guests - screaming, laughing children and adults in corridors, TV from your neighbors, coughing, etc. The rooms are packed and on weekends the hotel is densely populated and unpleasantly crowded. It is not a tranquil place when the hotel is fully occupied.
5). The service is erratic. We arrived on Saturday and were told that breakfast was till 11:00. However, when I came to breakfast room on Monday at 10:30, it was already closing – they forgot to mention that it was till 11:00 only on weekends. The maid taking food away did not offer to take anything; on the contrary, she said breakfast was closed. I took what I wanted, of course; but her attitude impressed as nasty.
6). After fighting for some breakfast pieces, I had to ask twice for help with the bags to my car. It is a sort of place where you have to insist on your requests; they do things only under pressure. I was happy to leave.

Alas, better hotels were all booked for the time of me reserving this hotel. It is a passable place, all I can say – we stayed in worse places, at least this one was quiet at night, no music, etc. It seemed to be a family-oriented place, popular with many middle-class-looking families with young children, obviously preferring budget value over comforts. I wish the hotel would make clearer who their target clientele are to avoid disappointments.

Unless your travel priority is a budget hotel with basic accommodations, avoid this place.

Room Tip: I did not like rooms in this hotel, but still the preferable one would be away from the parking lot...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Gradiva
Reviewed January 4, 2013

The reason for my stay at the Chateau de Maffliers is rather sad. My boyfriend, a Frenchman who lives in Paris, suffered a truly terrible accident 6 months ago. After 4 months in the hospital, he is now in a physical rehabilitation center in Bouffémont. This hotel is the closest property, and I made an initial reservation for 3 nights in December through Booking.com.

The front staff (special thanks to Patricia and Mylene) arranged for a very friendly local taxi service to pick me up AND bring me back from the remote facility every day at specially-scheduled times that corresponded to the visiting hours. They even helped me find board games (a French Monopoly set, and playing cards) that I could borrow, to hopefully improve my loved one's morale (which, after 6 months in hospitals, is about as low as it can be). Twice, they helped me order pizza to be delivered to the hotel, which I then brought along. When I ran out of mundane things like hair spray (OK, I'm sure you think it's funny - and it is - but consider that the hotel is remote, and I'm without a car, and don't speak French!), they had a chambermaid personally bring some in from Paris for me the next day. They wrote instructions in French to the taxi drivers to take me to a safe ATM for cash withdrawals, and to find sodas for my boyfriend (which certainly are not served at his center). When I felt too hot under the heavy comforter, they sent a woman over with a simple blanket, and she remade my bed for me. In short, I felt very, very taken care of at a time when it is everything I can do not to just break down into a puddle of tears at the drop of a hat.

I decided to extend my stay, and they offered me a much lower rate than what I had paid through Booking.com, and included daily breakfast in this rate. The meals are generous buffet-style, and you could find anything one could want: more than you'd need for the entire day, actually.

The two rooms I had were identical, clean, spacious, comfortable, and offered free, unlimited WiFi (for which I had previously paid €6/hour at the CDG Hilton where I stayed earlier that month for a lot more money). All the staff I met during my stay seemed happy/content to be working there, and I know I felt completely at home.

Thank you, everyone, for doing everything in your power to help a foreign visitor so very far from home during what was otherwise a very sad holiday, under stressful conditions. You're doing everything right. If my boyfriend remains at the Bouffémont facility, I will be at your door again in the near future.

Room Tip: The view onto the adjacent woods is quite charming. There doesn't appear to be a poorly-situated...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank Alexinasf
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We visited recently and used the hotel as a base to travel into Paris. Great value with excellent breakfasts and child friendly. Room was basic but good for our family. Train service into Paris was excellent.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Jumpinjen
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Stayed here with family and used as base for day trips into Paris. Wonderful quiet location, nice family rooms and has swimming pool. Breakfast was nice and easy. Evening meals served in separate castle building. Menu nothing special, a little pricy but very convenient. Not much else in surrounding area unless you go to Moiselles. Hotel ideally situated to get into Paris from Montsoult-Maffliers station. Free parking, 30 mins on train and under 50€ for "Paris Visite" daily travel card for 2 adults and 2 kids. Definitely recommend as base for Paris. Will stay here again.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank HeyMG
Reviewed December 22, 2012

If you have been to Disney and driven from the UK you will want to do the driving the day before and stay over somewhere close to the Park so you can get in at a decent time. This place is PERFECT!!! Its a beautiful Hotel based around the Chateau and grounds!! Dinner wasnt over priced and very good food. The rooms were very clean and breakfast was great with Sausages & Bacon :) Here comes the best part! It was €75!!!!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank MrHolloway
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maffliers
Chateau de Montvillargenne
Logis Hostellerie du Prieure
Pullman Paris Roissy CDG Airport
Pullman Paris Roissy CDG Airport
#1 of 31 in Roissy-en-France

Been to Novotel Chateau de Maffliers? Share your experiences!