“Set the record straight...fantastic!!!”
Review of Blue Horizon Hotel

Blue Horizon Hotel
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Svoronata
Reviewed July 10, 2011

Hi, I have not long returned from beautiful Kefalonia and the excellent Blue Horizon Hotel. I'm glad I listened to the majority of good reviews on this site and didn't believe the two bad ones.

I traveled to Svoronata with my wife, it's a quiet, laid back village with less shops and restaurants than most places I have been to. This did NOT disappoint me, it added lots to the charm. If you are looking for a brightly lit, crass and tacky Magaluf or Blackpool style resort this is not the place for you. Different places suit different people. This place and pretty much the whole of Kefalonia are for people with a bit more class who want to relax and enjoy some sun, sea and culture. Lassi, 20 mins up the coast, has a little bit more 18-30 style; not too bad but if you like Playa de las Stella then don't go to Svoronata and spoil it for others.

The Blue Horizon, is in my opinion, charming. It's not the newest of accommodation complexes but it is very clean and absolutely made this holiday for my wife and I. It is ran by an absolute gentleman by the name of Kosta. He speaks flawless English (or should I say Australian) and works tirelessly to keep the hotel and his guests happy.
Almost the first thing that he said to me was that he was upgrading us, for free, to one of his larger rooms, with a fantastic pool and sea view. A genuinely honest guy, he gave us all the information and tourist advice that we asked for and a lot that we hadn't realised that we needed. Very knowledgable about the island, he helped me to formulate all of my itineraries, giving me advice on where to stop, what to see and even where and what to eat.

Breakfasts were prepared by Kosta and he was very flexible on what time we could eat which was fantastic as sometimes I'm an early riser...and sometimes I'm hungover!!!
Now understand, this hotel is not the Hilton and it has no delusions of grandeur. I'm rating it 5 stars because I loved it, I am not giving it a Michelin-star rating. The breakfasts were fantastic, in my opinion. The choice was limited but it was exactly what I wanted, nice, healthy local fare. A small bowl of cereal with cold local milk, fresh Greek yoghurt with delicious Kefalonian honey (you will see the hives as you tour the island), fresh bread, butter and jam, fresh seasonal fruit and lovely fresh eggs from Kosta's farm. My favourite was his ommlettes but he does make the eggs to order. I really liked the fact that all of the food was fresh, natural, unprocessed and good for me.

The rooms were nice enough. Simple, plain and clean. Air conditioning and a fridge cost a little extra but I didn't begrudge paying at all. Nothing special, just a place to sleep. I go on holiday to visit places, not sit in a room, I have a house at home for that. Now if you're like me, then this place is perfect for you. If you like bell boys, monocled maitre-d's and room service with champagne and caviar I suggest you try somewhere else. The balconies are larger than usual, with greater than average depth, they have a table and chairs which are great for having a cold drink and doing some reading while your wife dries her hair...
The beds were comfortable enough, although in fairness to a previous review I did notice that all of the mattresses are brand new, like the fridges. I'm 6ft 2in and had no complaints about the size of the double bed.
The pool was great, every time I used it, it was empty, just the way I like it. If you prefer singing red coats trying to force you to play volleyball you'll be disappointed.

Now back to Svoronata. There are 2 beaches within easy walking distance. If you have difficulties with ambulation, change that to 1 beach within walking distance. If you have no problems walking, though, you have a choice of 2. Ammes beach is the closest, 5 minutes if you are fit enough to take Kosta's secret short cut, otherwise an 8 minute stroll. The next beach is further, a nice walk through some quiet roads, it will take you about 15-20 minutes. As mentioned in a previous review there are steps to negotiate to reach this beach. Not an issue to my wife and I but if you've had a few too many kleftikos you'll need to catch your breath as you climb back up.

If you are an absolute sun worshipper or beach bum then you can stay in Svoronata for a week happily. The majority of people, though, will want to explore Kefalonia and I think it's a shame for those who don't. It is the most beautiful island I have seen in Europe and that is not empty praise. Kosta put me in touch with a car hire company who gave me a jeep for 3 days for 90 euros. I was very happy with this price. An air-conditioned car would of been fine for the roads and a little cheaper, I just love the open top jeeps. If you do hire one, be aware of the handling characteristics, there is a lot of body roll on initial turn in. Other than that though, it was fine and a lot of fun to drive, I would of preferred my wife's MG but now I'm just being picky. Another thing to note, if you aren't a confident driver keep your trips local and join a coach party for the longer excursions. I loved the roads and driving but I can understand how others would be put off by the cliff edges.

For excursions I recommend Atheras beach, beautifully quiet and isolated and Melissani Lake, a geological wonder.

In summary:

The Blue Horizon Hotel: Quiet, friendly. Great for couples or families who can entertain their own children.

Svoronata: Again, quiet and friendly. Hire a car too see the rest of the island and if you like eating in different places.

Phill

Room Tip: Be nice, email Kosta on their website before you go.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank FireMMAnUK

Reviewed August 30, 2010

The hotel is clean (and basic). Nikos (evenings) and Kostos (Afternoons) are both very friendly and were only to happy to help in any way. Our room was cleaned every day and beddind was changed every 3/4 days. The beds were fine (if you want 2000 pocket springs, memory foam and fethers book a 5*). Air con worked well and we think is necessary.
The pool is great - big and clean (cleaned every day).
Svoronata is as described everywhere you look - 'small and quiet'. But this is a good thing - some nice little Tavernas (recomend Muse and La Loca).
Ammes and Al Helles beaches (both within 15 mins walk) are both very nice and easy to find a nice spot even in August. Car hire is cheap if you want to explore further.
If you want to relax in the pool, explore the beaches and the Island as we did then its a great hotel. No complaints.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank CCJJ42
Reviewed August 18, 2010

We book independently over the internet and got the hotel at a room rate of £35 per night including breakfast. At this price you can't fault it. Yes, as others have said, the breakfast is very basic but I considered it to be free when you consider the room cost.
The hotel was really clean and we got our sheets and towels changed at least every three days (at one point they changed them after just two - must have thought we'd brought too much sand and muck in!).
You could basically have the pool to yourself everyday even though the hotel was full.
Nikos, the evening barman, was really friendly and happy to join in with everyone's conversations.
I agree that the hotel could make more of itself (such as reopening the pool bar to create a lively feel to the place during the day) but for a cheap and convenient location for exploring the island it was just what we needed. And after a week of wild camping on beaches I wasn't going to complain about the beds!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MissLam
Reviewed July 25, 2010

I just came back from staying there.Its location is good,close to the airport.The biggest problem was the bed.It wasn't a normal double bed,it was smaller.Two heavier types than us wouldn't sleep.The breakfast was NOTHING.Some bread,strawberry jam and... that's quite it.You had to pay to use the A/C another 5 euros per day.So that's 35 euros a week extra.Towels and sheets change,as they say,every 3 days-we stayed there for 7 days and they changed it only 1 time,so that's more.When we got there the toilet paper was used and it was already half.When it finished no one bothered to replace it so went to the reception and asked some more and they did gave me.ONE-only one.But it was clean.....

Reviewed July 24, 2010

Kefalonia is a great holiday island with the perfect mix of activities for any would be holiday maker. We stayed at the Blue Horizon hotel in Svoronata due to booking a last minute deal based on the positive reviews here on Tripadvisor. We understood this to be a quiet resort as flagged by the numerous reviews here, however this does not tell the whole story. The whole area of Svoranata is quiet due to a heavy decline in tourists coming to the area. This is predominately on account of the recession - one restauranteur told us he would employee 7 waiters in peak season, this has been reduced to just 3.

Given the lack of tourists visiting the area it is almost as if the hotel staff at the Blue Horizon have given up. At one point of the holiday we were among four rooms in use, surely with so few rooms to maintain clean towels could be provided each day (given the heat you tend to take more frequent showers and it is a little disappointing to use the same towel multiple times) in the week we were there the towels and sheets were changed just once.

One of the features of the hotel is a large swimming pool, which to the hotels credit is very clean, granted it does not get much use but it is diligently maintained with the wasps and moths fished out by staff. What is disappointing is the disused pool bar which is situated beside it. In my view the hotel would make more money through using this and offering drinks to guests by the pool. The staff seem to make an effort not to interact with guests (something some visitors may like) but I think the atmosphere could be lifted if the staff were a bit more interactive - they could certainly make more money if they offered drinks to guests by the pool,

Our final gripe with the hotel is the standard of the breakfast. Understandably, we were not expecting luxury, but the bread on offer we found to be stale, the processed ham and cheese off-putting and the stale tea/coffee undrinkable. In the rooms, breakfast is priced at €4 per person per day and the offering does not give you value for money based on local competition.

Deals aside the standard room rate including air conditioning (+€5/night) is €60 a night. The Ammes located down the road with rooms twice the size and aircon included is only €50 a night peak season.

In summary the Blue Horizon Hotel has the potential to be a good hotel, with it's lovely coastline views and clean pool, but the level of service could be drastically improved.

For most resorts on the island car hirer recommended to see the true beauty of the island. We managed to get a good deal with Greekstones in Svoranata but there are plenty of hirer companies so shop about if you have time. As mentioned in previous reviews when flying home it is worth arriving early to the airport and checking in your bags, then making the short walk to the Ikarus bar just by the airport.

Reviewed July 12, 2010

We booked this trip last minute and this hotel because of the excellent price and previous reviews. We are regular travellers to Greece ( first time to Kefalonia) so we knew what to expect and weren't disappointed. The previous post was added while we were away - so we must have overlapped there. Just goes to show how people's experience and expectations differ. Anyway, the hotel is airy, very clean and Kosta and Nikos very friendly. Kosta in particular would join us for lively conversations in the late afternoon after returning from the beach. The hotel was quiet -but we spoke to quite a number of other guests over breakfast, for afternoon drinks and in the evening and heard no complaints. The location is a bit off the beaten track but our room had a lovely view to the sea and it was only a ten minute walk to Ammes beach and five minutes to Ammes restaurant and pool bar. The Pool bar does excellent lunchtime snacks and baguettes to take away ( useful for the beach and the trip home). In the evening we ate at Ammes restaurant and Muses piano bar which is about a 20 minute stroll up to the village- special mention here as Muses was excellent value at 20 euro for a delicious meal with a litre of wine! For evening drinks La Calma/La Loca does great cocktails and we even took part in a Salsa dancing lesson. The hotel bar is empty in the evening as guests go up to the village or down to the Ammes pool bar. However we often returned for a nightcap and a chat with whoever was around. In all an excellent, peaceful relaxing week. Just a few tips - hire the aircon ( 5eur a night) - no mozzies and an excellent nights sleep. Taxis to and from the airport were 15 euro - even though it's only 5 minutes - couldn't haggle them down. You are very close to the airport here so if you worry about low flying aircraft it's not for you. To us - we found it fascinating. There weren't that many flights and none in the night. Breakfast is very basic, but at the price we paid we can't complain - if you need a full english then stroll down to Ammes pool bar. On your return to the airport, the trick is to check in 2 hours before, but don't go through to departures. It's a tiny airport with limited facilities - look on the board at the ETA of your incoming flight then stroll up the road to the lovely little hotel about 100 yards outside the airport gates and have a drink on the balcony and watch your flight come in , then go back to go through passport control and security, you should have enough time for last minute duty free before you walk straight through and out to the runway. We had a 2 hour delay coming back so we were really glad that one of our fellow guests in the Blue Horizon told us this - or we'd have been stuck in departures for four hours instead of an extra afternoon in the sun with lunch and drinks. Would we go back? Definately.

1  Thank GeriB
Reviewed July 12, 2010

Great location for travelling the Island. One beach not to far to walk to the other is further and you will need to be able bodied as there are approx 65 steps to the beach. Nice pool at the hotel although very hot with no breeze and only 1 of the 3 pools are up and working. Rooms are typical basic Greek rooms, were cleaned daily, beds were most uncomfortable we were told that these were being changed though. Stunning views from your rooms. Breakfast was fine a typical Greek continental. Staff were friendly enough and helpful when you needed them. It is a family run hotel 2 brothers and a brother inlaw who do shifts from morning untill the eve the hotel was not open untill late as it was very quiet. This suited us and many of the guests staying.

We booked our deal independently on the Internet and got a very good deal for the money we paid we were not dispapointed and we had spare money to hire a car. A tip if you do greekstone car hire are near the super Market they are a fraction cheaper and have a web site to. They will meet you at the airport with a car on your arrival or meet on your departure. You
may do as we did hire the car for the later part of your holiday and drive yourselves to the airport. This saves you 15 euros and enables you to get to the airport when you are ready.

The island is stunning in some areas and we never got to see others. Svonronata was lovely as a retreat and a break however I would not say beauty as some of the Island offers.

The Blue Horizon was a great deal for basic needs at a great cost surrounded by blue sky, blue sea, great walks, nice places to eat and friendly people so book it!!