“Beautiful but would suggest a little more improvement”

Puerto Del Sol Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Bolinao
Reviewed May 30, 2010

Our group of 7 decided to stay in this resort based on the good reviews on other websites plus the nice pictures we saw on the company's website. Booking a stay there was a breeze if you're dealing with Luisa in their Manila sales office. She really knew what she was doing and she even went out of her way to make sure that everything was all right. The great service that I got from her made me look forward to getting the same service in Bolinao (thinking that this is how they train their staff). Boy, was I wrong! I can't say much about the front desk clerk, she was just alright. The porters were very nice especially Ronnie. What I really didn't like was the restaurant service from the waitresses. First, they didn't even smile and acknowledge us when we went inside in spite of the fact that the front desk clerk endorsed us to them. And then when we were already ordering, the waitress acted as if we were depriving her of her precious time and she even gave us a wrong idea on one of their meals. It would have been great if she at least took an effort at smiling but unfortunately, she was just frowning at us which is I would say what all the girl staff in the restaurant did. Thank God a waiter saved her when he explained a misunderstanding on a meal we just ordered which the waitress described wrongly. I would say the waiters are more attentive and friendlier compared to their female counterparts. I would like to give special mention to Eugene (if my memory serves me right) for giving us an excellent service in the restaurant! As to the food, I was hoping that it would live up to the expensive price in the menu but the meat wasn't tender at all and the taste was just ordinary. Since accommodations are already high, may I suggest that you lower the menu price in the restaurant if you want people to keep coming back.

As to the place itself, it really is very beautiful! I love the pool and the crystal-clear water of the beach. A great view of the South China Sea right in front of the resort is really fantastic. Security was great since they were all around the place making sure all the guests are safe in and around the resort. As for the rooms, they're just ok. I am just wondering why the water from the faucets are salty? It kinda gives one a feeling of washing up with sea water which isn't nice at all.

We were booked May 25-27 but had to cut short our trip due to an emergency. My mother-in-law, who was with us, suffered high blood pressure and shortness of breath at 10 pm on our first day. Thank you so much to the security staff who attended to us and to the man whose name we forgot to ask (sorry) who even helped us go to the town hospital to make sure that our mom's condition stabilizes. For that, we will forever be grateful! Her condition improved while in the hospital but we thought it best to just check-out before midnight and travel back to Manila in case something happens again. Checking-out would have been a breeze if not for the accountant who didn't deduct our consumable of P2,300 from our restaurant bill insisting that the Manila office will just take care of it (which shouldn't be the case).

I would have given this resort a five star rating if not for the bad "waitress" service and the pricey menu. But let me say, I would still go back to it and recommend this to my friends. Hopefully, a "friendlier" menu will be available next time we come for a visit.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank tinpao

Reviewed May 6, 2010

Beautiful landscape and layout is what we expected, but unfortunately praises stop there.

We were not greeted by the front desk personnel when we arrived; she only asked for my reservation receipt. They were not friendly and courteous-- they need to put smiles on their faces. I think they lack training and experience in dealing with guests. I made reservations for two extra beds and reminded them about it as soon as we arrived at around 1pm. It was only after I complained about it (at around 8pm) that it was set up, and the front desk personnel named "RONA" seemed irritated about my complaint. I also told her that the phone in the room was out of order and she told me that it cannot be fixed. However when I told the housekeeping personnel (OMAR) about it, he was able to have it fixed. There was also no front desk personnel on duty during the night.

The beach front was dirty when we arrived, with plastic bags and all sorts of trash scattered everywhere. It was only cleaned up late the next morning. Despite a "no pets allowed inside the resort", stray dogs, all seven of them, were frolicking in the beach and wading in the water--

Tap water is salty. The thermos bottle in the hotel room is empty and you have to call room service for hot water.

Food in the restaurant was decent enough. Bangus (milkfish) dishes are good. However, you have to be patient as service is really slow.

Over all, it was a not-so-pleasant stay in puerto del sol. It's not worth the long drive and it's not worth our hard-earned money. We are definitely not going back.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
4  Thank manilagirl2010
Reviewed May 4, 2010

We just came back from a three-day stay in this resort. What we wanted to be an enjoyable and relaxing vacation turned out to be a nightmare! The only thing good about this resort is the room service. Everything else is terrible! You have to wait for so long for all other services. We could have just gone home after the first night instead of getting all stressed by all the unpleasant experiences we had in this resort. We thought we were the only ones who were complaining but when we checked out, the others were also very upset. Imagine having to take a long drive and not get your money's worth?

The lady at the front desk is just a monster. Does the owner of the resort even know they even have a staff like that who does not show courtesy to guests? She was even irate when guests complain. They don't call you back when you want to arrange a tour. And when they don't have their only van available, they don't make an effort to arrange outside for you. The food in the restaurant takes so long to be served. They don't have hot water for coffee and the water in the shower smells like the sea.

DON'T BOTHER TO GO TO THIS RESORT! IT'S NOT WORTH YOUR MONEY!

• Stayed: May 2010
2  Thank apple_evans72
Reviewed April 16, 2010

We went to Puerto Del Sol on the first day of 2010 and stayed at the mansion villas. Having only seen the rates through the internet, we had second thoughts if our money was worth it because we arrived sometime late in the afternoon and had only a few hours of stay before we leave before lunch. The front desk helped us out by finding the best rates for a group of 12 and we were given options. We occupied four villas and thanks to the front desk personnel because we did had our money's worth. They only had to smile more though. Breakfast was not bad but you have to bring extra money if you dine for other meals. Their food was pegged at an average of P300 but they suggested to serve us family style which was better than the per person order. Be sure to make an advance order at the resto because it took them almost an hour in preparing. Also, come in early for dinner because our waiters were already nowhere to be found at 9PM when we were about to finish. They should take care of the customers even if they were the last ones because it took us a while to bill out. As for the accommodation, our villa had enough space and a veranda overlooking the pool and with a view of the beach. If you're willing to splurge, go to Puerto del Sol. Remember not to bring in food and drinks though because they charge corkage fees. Over-all, it was a decent stay.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank jillsparrow
Reviewed January 14, 2010

We stayed for 3 days at the resort. The grounds were immaculate! The best i've seen in a while. We went right before the the flood so it was raining the whole week before we got there but it was sunny the whole time we were there. They were picking up the pieces of the huts that were torn away by the rain and wind. The beach perhaps would have been nice...the tide was low and walked out far into the water. The food was delicious! We got the catch of the day and it was so good. I'm not use to Philippino food, but this was delicious.

I got a manicure and pedicure, but i wouldn't reccommend it unless youre ok with them not cleaning their tools. Also, the jacuzzi didn't heat up even with all the heaters on.

The room was a bit below what I expected and lacked hot water...which i guess is expected since it's in the middle of nowhere. We had to drive almost 2 hours to get to a Hundred Islands, but definitely go there and enjoy the scenery! Breath taking island views!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed January 8, 2010

we went there to attend christening of my officemate's son.we decided to stay there for 2 days.The place is nice but their beach is not good....so don't expect too much(sand color-just like light brown sugar).There rooms are okay but quite small to pay for high price.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank dezya
Reviewed October 14, 2009

We visit Bolinao for the first time on Sept 2009. At first, we did not consider this resort because it is expensive, yet, as we step into the hotel, we were encourage to stay because of the nice and elegant place. Good thing they offer a big discount that made us stay in their resort. We were given a shell lei and complimentary drinks (buko juice).
Our room is big, with bathtub, refrigerator and complimentary coffee and tea. It's a good idea that they have a "sampayan" for wet clothes and towel. I love their pool and jacuzzi just few steps from our room. Their restaurant is nice, I won't forget their Manager named Alfred who serenades us, he says it's free, and it's true he seranade all guest table to table using his guitar and his nice voice. We ordered seafood platter good for two but we are full to ate them all, so he told us that they can keep it in refrigerator and reheat it on breakfast. Good thing, because we are out of budget. He even suggests us to visit nice places in Bolinao like patar white beach, enchanted cave and lighthouse.
Having a nice and accomodating restaurant manager really is a plus. My only complaint is their cable tv with only 4 channels, (abs-cbn, living asia, axn and travel and living). On a positive side, instead of watching tv, we explore the place by playing billiards and spent time in jacuzzi while drinking a coke rum. My partner's complain is the room, it was nice but the whole front wall and door are made of glass, you need to cover it by curtain to make sure nobody sees you while changing clothes etc., we noticed that some guest are not aware that somebody sees them sleeping, it was little bit funny looking at them sleeping on different position, we suggest to put blinds or something better than their curtains.

In the end, place are amazing and will still recommend this place.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ilovebalicasag
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bolinao
Villa Soledad Beach Resort
Punta Riviera Resort
Punta Riviera Resort
#3 of 4 in Bolinao
Thunderbird Resorts & Casinos - Poro Point
Thunderbird Resorts & Casinos - ...
#2 of 5 in San Fernando La Union
El Puerto Marina Beach Resort & Spa
Aureo La Union
Aureo La Union
#1 of 5 in San Fernando La Union
Kahuna Beach Resort and Spa

Been to Puerto Del Sol Beach Resort? Share your experiences!