“Awful”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Bolinao
Hong Kong, China
“Awful”
Reviewed March 29, 2014

The room rate was really expensive about 9730 per night.we expect good rooms with complete amenities such as tea/ coffee making. Telephone,wifi like what they advertised in their website! But were really dissapointed the bed and pillows was so hard! Towels are old. No wifi no telephone, aircons are noisy, also the machine for cable TV is noisy! We didnt get relax at all.the water in the jacuzzi is dirty! Very cloudy same with the swimming pool. They need to put some chlorine to kill the germs and bacteria. My daughter get itchy all over her body when she went swimming. The most annoying thing is they charge me 1000peso for canceling our stay for second night. I think thats the reason why they want you to pay the guest in full before you get there. Staffs are all good. Foods very local. They need to upgrade their service. Not a good experience with puerto delsol pangasinan.

• Stayed March 2014
4 Thank Ann P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Marikina, Philippines
Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here overnight. The room we got was a Mansion Cluster which was Originally priced at 8k plus but was offered at 50% Off. The room was nice, not too huge but big enough. The Bathroom was spacious with Hot and Cold Water. The Shower had 3 choices, rainshower, hand held shower and from the faucet. Soap and shampoo where provided.

The grounds of the resort was impressive. With Bouganvilla all in bloom the resort was a sight to behold.

The pool was nice, the water was controlled so it was not too cold.

The beach though was so so. It had a lot of rocks, so swimming was not enjoyable. After swimming my feet started to itch and my left thigh started to itch as well. I probably stepped on something.

Breakfast was a plated breakfast but the choices were good.

Staff here are very friendly and courteous. Really love their use of Antiques and Spanish Tiles.

At 50% Off the price is okay but at full price will not stay there.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
5 Thank KingRegis
Quezon City, Philippines
Reviewed February 4, 2014

Ive had a lot of good memories here but the most memorable (and the reason why we want to go back here) is their massage. Its the best!

My hubby and I had our first out of town 7 months after our wedding. Since we had our what we call "hotel hopping" in our area during our honeymoon, this trip to del sol is our first getaway together. Ive read a lot of reviews and planned our tours as we went there.

It was a holiday rush, Oct 31 midnight, and we don't have reservations (most bus companies are fully booked already 1-2 weeks before the said date). We have to patiently wait for a five star bus (u may opt to choose victory liner as well) to have a bolinao trip in a super long line (without benches, in a super hot terminal). But sadly, there's no more trip to that area. We asked them if we can ride an ALAMINOS bus, and told us that we can do so because the trip from alaminos to bolinao is only around 30 minutes (and u can choose to have victory liner or five star bus there also). We get into the next bus and departed around 1AM, Nov1.

We arrived at Alaminos around 6:30 AM (that's 5.5 hours from QC). We transferred to a victory liner bus heading to Bolinao. It took us another 30 minutes.

Upon arrival at Bolinao, we Immediately looked for Adoras (24 hours cafeteria) near the Bolinao bus station to have our breakfast. We brought there the seemingly rice cake inside the bamboo (which I looked for upon arrival, that other travelers are recommending) that we bought near the church. It became my appetizer while waiting to serve our orders. Its indeed yummy! After breakfast, we traveled again for another 30 minutes to reach Puerto del Sol. (In front of Adoras is the tricycle lines)

Since there's a reported typhoon in central Luzon when we traveled, the weather when we arrived is not that fine. In fact, it is raining. The security guards assists us to their front desk/receptionist. The receptionist is not that hospitable. After showing our holiday getaway coupon, she's hesitant to accept us and though there's a clear note that we can have our early check in, she's asking us to return at 2PM. I have to explain to her that we had our booking in Manila and told us that we can have our early check-in according to Manila staff, but she would not listen. Good thing, the manager arrived! He's from QC as well so He knows how tired we are that time. Immediately, He instructed the staff to arrange the nipa hut (that's near the pool) for us to take some nap while they are fixing our room. While my hubby is sleeping, i took some shots near the pool and the nipa hut.

Our coupon is a FREE 3D/2N accommodation with breakfast, and some freebies with spa. Upon reaching our room, mansion villa located in the 1st floor, we fix our things and ourselves. Then we had our lunch-merienda at LA PLAYA. Food was not that good, and I missed immediately the restos in Manila but we have no choice (since bringing in of food was not allowed). I just savor the moment of eating with a romantic view.

Our second day was a PATAR TRIP, from the wonderful cave, cape bolinao lighthouse, patar beach and the patar rock formation. PDS arranged their own Patar trip, but since their service is not available, we arranged our trip with the tricycle driver (the one that brought us to PDS from Bolinao). Its a half day trip. (If you're a couple, better to arrange trips with the tricycle driver for you to have a luxury of time). I forgot exactly how much we paid but its almost the same with PDS. (I will have separate review for this Patar tour).

After that long and tiring trip, I called the front desk of PDS to have our much-awaited massage. I am used to have massage therapy once in a while in QC, esp when I am so stressed out. I had my fave therapist, but this encounter with their therapists were so great that my hubby fall asleep early on the therapy.

After the reservation time around 6PM, (which must be not later than 8PM), we went to the pool to enjoy the slightly warm water. 30 minutes before the sked time, we fix ourselves and waited for the therapists to come our room (they will pick you up esp if you chose to have your massage outside the room). Carrying their paraphernalia, we head on to one of the nipa hut near the beach (it is that relaxing, that you hear the waves of the sea!). They have that curtain to cover the sides of the open nipa hut, aside from the blanket of course for the client. They also have their lights (since nipa hut do not have steady lights on). At the start of the massage, they would determine your kind of massage based on their actual flexes on your body. After determining mine, I closed my eyes to be fully relaxed. For the several massage that I had in Manila, this one is the best. I didn't feel unnecessary pain and I feel relaxed the whole one hour (my hubby was so relaxed, he snore several times!). I don't know if they are professional physical therapist, for they had different approach with the massage styles but ends up more relaxing than the traditional way that I know. Whatever it is, two thumbs up for them!

The very thing that I remembered here, obviously, is their massage! Other things were:

FOOD: not that good. I would rather go Patar beach to have some seafoods grilled for reasonable price. But I love their buffet breakfast.

POOL: water is slightly warm so you can swim even at night or if you dont want to go to the "walkathon beach"

JACUZZI: its cold that time, under maintenance.

ROOM: there's a TV (not flat), small fridge, a table, a bathroom with a tub (which we loved). Bed is OK. I think they have to add cabinets for clothes.

RESORT: its the best resort in that area. Beautiful, well maintained.

STAFF: Aside from the receptionist (who supposedly must be the most hospitable staff in a resort/hotel), ALL are excellent. You would hear them greeting every guests every now and then.

One thing that Ive remembered here that I think UNUSUAL to resorts are you have to call the front desk to ask for slippers, toothbrush, toothpaste, tissue, soap and shampoo (which are all available upon check in in other hotel/resort and that you have daily supply of these). You have to ask them also to change your towels and to clean your rooms daily (others have their daily cleaning time and changing of towels).

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JaDeRPh
Quezon City, Philippines
Reviewed February 1, 2014

Our company decided to go to Bolinao for our bi-annual company outing and decided to book rooms at Puerto del Sol. I was assigned to a room good enough for 12 people with double decks (not published in their website). The room was clean, has a small fridge, a small TV with just a few cable channels. We were provided with basic bathroom and bed amenities each day for each person. The AC is cold enough even there were 12 people in the room.

We had a common public type bathroom just by the hallway. Bad thing is the hot water was not working all the time and the water is real salty. I had to use the cold (not good for sensitive teeth) water from the drinking dispenser (that's free by the way) to brush my teeth

Another disappointment was the free Wifi. The internet connection was crap. Some of my colleagues had to work during this trip (Yeah I know, Sucks!) and it really did not help much.

For me the Food was just ok.

The swimming pool was alright but there was a broken sharp tile or stone at the bottom of the pool and one of my colleagues was cut real deep. They should check the pool regularly for these. The Jacuzzi was just fine though.

The beach is clean and nice with huts you can use if just want to relax, and an obstacle course and volleyball net if wanna sweat it out in the sun. Great for large groups.

The game room is awful. The billiard table cloth is dilapidated and all the cue sticks are broken. The table tennis net is also broken.

For the Service, well this is where they excelled. The staff was courteous and very helpful. They always had a smile on their faces and greeted us every time they saw us. There was also a time when me and my colleagues saw that there was a basketball ring at the parking lot and decided that we wanted to play but that was not part of the resort as it is located outside. They let us borrow a ball and even went out and looked for a vulcanizing shop to inflate it. They also, called trikes for us to take us to the enchanted cave when our Bus driver was missing. Service was most especially good at the dining area. All in all, the Service was superb. They made it a fun stay for all of us and that made up for all the negative things i mentioned above.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Chorvazona
philippines
Reviewed December 31, 2013

We just came back from our R&R yesterday, Dec. 30, 2013 to be exact. Hotel is really first class amongst the lines of hotels/inns/resorts we checked in the area. Garden is well maintained and surroundings are clean. Quiet and serene although there was a construction going in the area where we are situated and while we were sleeping during the night you can hear people talking just on the other side.

We stayed in Mansion Villa Cluster 4 Room 22 and on while hubby was watching TV, it kept on turning on and off every few seconds and then stabilized and then it started all over again. This was really annoying and frustrating especially we were relaxing and trying to watch a good movie. Maintenance guys were called to check but were not able to do anything to correct the problem. When we asked, we were the only room occupants having the issue with the cable/TV thing. Also, there was no light over the vanity mirror making it hard to see at all.

On the other hand, all the staff were very attentive and courteous to guests especially on the dining area. I like the food selection as well which is a mix of Filipino and Western cuisine so it caters not only to locals but foreign guests too.

It was low tide the 3rd morning we were there so we get to enjoy walking almost up to the breakwater and had some photos taken too.

Overall, our experience staying in Puerto del Sol is very good and would highly recommend the resort to other people.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank steph_amorin
Reviewed December 26, 2013 via mobile

Service made up for the not so great weather! Definitely will stay there again, fingers crossed weather will be better!

Jerry (wait staff at restaurant ) was very helpful and accommodating.

All in all rooms were clean and facilities good also far away from the hustle and bustle!

Stayed December 2013
1 Thank MsMinogue
London
Reviewed December 1, 2013

Stayed with three friends last week. Rooms were clean and comfortable. Restaurant food was excellent - both local and Western food, with good service to match.

I only really had two complaints over all. Firstly that there was a constant steam of music getting piped through the grounds. This does get a bit annoying after a while - particularly when they were fairly dreary hymns and carols. And it also started early in the morning so didn't help with a lie in!

Secondly, when I asked about late check out I was told I could only extend by 1 hour, and we would only be able to stay in the hotel for a further hour after that. In busy periods, I completely understand these rules for hotels, however it was clear there were only a handful of guests and a lot of vacant rooms so I'm not really sure why they couldn't be a bit flexible there. And also since we had arrived late the previous evening, it would have been nice to be allowed to use the facilities a little while longer the next day (again given there was literally nobody else around the pool, for example…)

Over all enjoyed it though, would recommend.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank hzanderson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bolinao
Villa Soledad Beach Resort
#1 of 5 in San Fernando La Union
Awesome Hotel
Awesome Hotel
#1 of 5 in San Juan

Been to Puerto Del Sol Beach Resort? Share your experiences!