“Better than ANY OTHER”

Puerto Del Sol Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Bolinao
Reviewed October 3, 2011

I am an RCI Member who just stayed in puerto delsol last Sept. 2011. I was so upset to read those negative reviews from the other customers.

Before I chose to stay in this resort I usually read reviews or comments first..but "what the heck!" I am a frequent traveler (I am a RCI member) and would know as soon as I stay there and leave the place.

Yes, some of the reviews were true like; security is so strict! but c'mon this is just proving that this place is truly securing their customers safety! Yes it was also true that foods or wines being brought in are being corkage. But when the resident manager explained to us why they do such, i understood and accepted their purpose.

The people were all accommodating from the security guys (in black at night..hahaha) to the wait staffs. Me and my wife had a chit-chat with the manager several times during our stay and we have guessed taht he is not from that place because he was so smart with any topic we wanted to discuss. My wife also joke that the manager was a cyborg! since from the whole day we see him working. and she even the manager one time, do you sleep? and we laughed.

The resort was well managed and even the greens are all gorgeous! The security people are all alert and well trained.

Only problem is the beach area. I pity the staff who cleans (rakes) the weeds but still manages to smile..hope the local community would help each other.

PUERTO DELSOL IS A PLACE TO VISIT FOR YOU TO EXPERIENCE THEIR UTMOST SERVICE.

PS: I ONLY WROTE THIS BECAUSE IT WAS SO UNFAIR TO THE RESORT AND THE MANAGEMENT AND ESPECIALLY TO OTHER CUSTOMERS WHO EASILY BELIEVES ON NEGATIVE REVIEWS.

WE WILL VISIT AGAIN THIS RESORT AND WILL BRING OUR KIDS WITH US NEXT TIME.

ALSO, OUR KIDS WANT TO SEE YOUR TOWELS (ELEPHANT AND DOG) WE ONLY SAW THAT WHEN WE TOOK A TRIP IN A CRUISE.

MORE POWER TO YOU!!!! THANK YOU AGAIN FOR TAKING CARE OF US!!!

Room Tip: Better rooms near the pool..
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
12  Thank Happy T

Reviewed September 27, 2011

All year round, we were really looking forward to our annual R&R, our get away from the hustle and bustle of daily life. We were really excited when we saw the pictures of the resort in their site but when we arrived there...

1. Service with a frown - we were met with frowns and frisking.

2. Watered down sodas

3. Limited pool time - the pool closes at 8pm

4. Limited bar and restaurant time - we were made to stay under a leaky canopy with no lights (they turned off the lights and we had to ask for a measly 4 votive candles so that we could continue with our team-building).

5. Foreign-named mediocre food.

6. Botched up land trip - charging us an extra fee of 2 hours because we spent 4 hours going around the sites (we were not informed that there's an additional fee and that the tour was supposed to last for 2 hours only)

7. Wifi unfriendly - the establishment boasts of wifi connection for the guests but it is free for 1 hour only, after which, you will be charged a couple of peso per hour.

8. 1 hour use of amenities (billiards, basketball, etc.) - We rented 2 dorm-type rooms and 1 casita and they are only giving us an hour per room of amenity use (there are 32 of us, mind you).

9. Food was supposed to be buffet but we had to ask for refills of drinks.

10. The worst thing of all. One of our co-worker overheard 2 waiters talking to each other, saying; "puro sila reklamo no?"

We enjoyed the company of each other during our stay but I will not recommend it if you want to stay in this place. It is mostly over-rated.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
12  Thank Richard S
Reviewed September 20, 2011

We went here for our annual staff outing and had very high expectations since the hotel looks really nice (on their website; been to Bolinao previously and saw the nice villas) and they charged pricey rates (so we could allow ourselves to expect at the very least, a truly relaxing vacation for our group of 32). They asked us to pay in full 3 days before the trip and we obliged, assured that everything would be taken cared of by the hotel as we were their "valued guests" (as they claimed in their marketing materials).

From the 1st day, our expectations were already smashed because we didn't really feel welcome (unsmiling front desk who just read us all the guidelines as if we were children: "no this, no that, and if we don't comply..blah, blah, blah!) What a truly warm welcome from a hotel boasting of the "friendliest staff" :(

Throughout our stay, we felt like we were walking on eggshells, like we were being "policed" by the staff and we were staying there for free (instead of being paying guests). Even simple requests were met with hostile refusals, and there was no effort to be "of service" in any way. Worst was our 2nd day when we had a land tour arranged for 4 different sites. We left at 12:30pm and returned at 4:30pm. Upon returning to the hotel, the assistant HR manager scolded (no exaggeration) us saying that we would be charged extra because the tour was only for 2 hours and we came back after 4 hours.

I reasoned with her that when we agreed to the tour, no one said anything about the tour being for 2 hours (which is unreasonable considering the distance and amount of time needed to appreciate the sites) and she disrespectfully told me "wala naman kasi kayong kotse, nag-rent kayo sa amin." I was very insulted with her attitude and her disrespectful remark and asked to talk to the manager. Only then did they waive the fee they were charging us for "exceeding the time limit."

That night, we asked where we could stay as a group for some team-building activities we planned. They refused to allow us in the restaurant nor the seaside veranda which we requested for, and instead made us stay outside the restaurant (underneath a leaking canopy - it was by the way raining hard), with no lights (had to request for some candles at the least since they turned off the lights, "sinasara daw kasi iyon sa gabi," and locked the nearest comfort rooms (as if we were going to steal tissue paper and maybe soap? or the bathroom fixtures??). Never before have I encountered hotel/resort management as unaccommodating as this resort's.

At check-out time, front desk was inefficient in billing us (making us miss our bus, just because they cannot account for 2 bottles of mineral water from our mini bar), and they refused to give us coke in can (we requested for our buffet food to be packed since we'd be travelling by bus) in place of our soup and dessert and insisted on giving us 1.5 liters of bottled softdrink and some plastic cups (which they expect us to serve inside a moving bus!). Worst, they forgot to give us utensils which we only found out when we stopped over.

So, in summary, it was our most stressful company outing ever! Will not recommend this resort to anyone who would want their vacation to be a stress-free one and would want value for their money.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
25  Thank ALRES
Reviewed September 6, 2011

CONS:

1.Parking is outside resort gate.

2. Food is average. Too pricey for quality and taste.

3. Beach is too shallow. Had to kayak-walk-kayak farther and nearer the break waters to avoid our kayak being stucked on corals :(

4. My husband gave me a surprise romantic dinner by the beach but there were insects that buzzed all over our candlelight which also landed on our food and wine :( Also, the guy that serenaded us was an amateur and sounded nervous he forgot lyrics and was off tune. But it did gave us something to laugh about and remember for a long time :)

5. Expensive corkage fees for food and bevarage not purchased in resort.

6. Beach not suitable for swimming.(too shallow) I suggest going to nearby beach resorts. There is one in Patar just a short drive from the resort with whiter and finer sand than that of Puerto.

PROS:

1. Shell necklaces upon arrival. Staff helped us with our luggage.

2. Garden grotto was superb and Mediterranean-Filipino feel to resort architecture is so inviting it makes you feel at home.

3. Boyet Milloren, the resort manager at that time was very accomodating. We inquired about wedding packages and he gladly discussed options about vendors and in house packages. He even showed us pictures and videos of recent wedding events that were held there.and gave us a tour of the resort accomodations. He also did an excellent job on setting up our romantic dinner by the beach! I love the paper bag lights on the sand!

2. My husband requested for long stem rose boquet for his surprise candlelit dinner and there was no way the staff can purchase fresh long stem roses in town (location was too far and isolated and flowers aren't fressh anymore). Boyet had to phone the owner of the resort (also the owner of Pink Soda and Blue Soda) who was at that time in Baguio, and he brought the roses! Good thing he was bound for Bolinao on the same day ;)

4. Neighborhood dogs were nowhere to be seen the night of our romantic dinner by the beach. I don't know how they did it. It was like magic! We appreciate Boyet's eagerness to make things happen for us. I can say he's an asset of the resort.

5. We got our accomodation for 50 % off as their Chinese new year promo. They don't update their webiste often so I suggest caling the resort for current promos.

6. I walking around the resort on our first night and took a swim in the pool. I noticed someone was sitting behind the shrubs and trees and felt I was being watched. He/she was there the whole 30 mins while I was swimming! I got scared reported it to a staff and said it was just the security! This should ba e con. TO PUERTO DEL SOL MANAGEMENT: Please do inform your clients before hand about how your security staff work, one might get a heart attack from them! My cousin even thought she saw a capre! hahaha But on the other hand, guards are discreet and would not go near you or remain to be unseen-ish. I appreciated their guards on our 2nd night, we upgraded to a casita (beach front) and we had our very own gaurd! We stayed up until 2am and he just stayed behind the coconut tree! I don't know if the place being so isolated, had a history of theft or robbery, hence the keen guards? I forget my slr camera outside during the night and it was on the same spot the next morning. Nevertheless, we slept like babies with a peace of mind. This resort is THE SAFEST IN BOLINAO.

7. We felt that we had the resort to ourselves the whole 2 nights of our stay. We only saw 3 groups of guests in the restaurant. But we never saw them around the resort! Talk about privacy! :)

8. It was winter when I left Canada for a vacation in the Philippines. The weather on our first day was humid and was too hot for me to bear that I almost fainted in the restaurant/gift shop.Their female staff was nice enough to give me cold water and a cool face cloth. Restaurant staff were friendly and atttentive.

CONCLUSION:

WE enjoyed our stay. The staff made us feel special and it was a memorable trip for us! We could have stayed another night but we decided to go to Baguio. (with regrets).

We'll definitely go back. In fact, we are already planning to go back this Oct- November! Thank you Puerto del Sol!

WILL ADD PHOTOS SOON

Room Tip: Go for villas on the second floor for a great overlooking view of the pool and South China sea.
  • Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Jojo N
Reviewed August 28, 2011

SUPER BAD SERVICE
OVER PRICED
OVER RATED

Good food though but over priced.

Did'nt enjoy my stay and will not recommend to others

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
8  Thank yaming
Reviewed August 28, 2011

I agree with one of the earlier reviews. The website is misleading. We decided to push thru with our trip even though there was a super typhoon up north and after 6hrs of driving in strong rains, you don't even get a simple greeting upon arrival. We were not assisted with our luggages. My husband had to get wet in the rain just to get to the lobby as they don't have any umbrellas anymore. Room ok but there was a stuffy smell. Bathroom was small, sink drain clogged, and floors puddled. Wifi may only be used for an hour. Other amenities except for the pool had hourly fees. Food is generally good but overcharged at an ave spend of 500 per person. Breakfast buffet at 350 not worth it. You don't even have a choice to order a la carte. Band at dinner time sucked. Also, my request for an additional mat never came. Saving grace was the great massage that was also pricey at 620. Final verdict: not a very pleasant experience.

• Stayed: August 2011
11  Thank Dotidots
Reviewed August 16, 2011

Nice Resort Hotel. The rooms are clean, with soft bed and pillows, clean toilet and bath, with cable tv channels and a nice veranda or balcony overlooking the swimming pool area. The garden landscape are well maintained. The jacuzzi beside the pool area is lovely and the restaurant serves delicious delicacy but its a bit pricy. If feeling bored, the resort offer land tour arrangement with visits to caves, lighthouse and white beach area. Lovely sunset to watch and its the highlight of my trip to this place which I will definitely come back again. Highly recommended for family, honeymooners and friends weekend getaway...

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
8  Thank junsanjose
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bolinao
Villa Soledad Beach Resort
Punta Riviera Resort
Punta Riviera Resort
#3 of 4 in Bolinao
Thunderbird Resorts & Casinos - Poro Point
Thunderbird Resorts & Casinos - ...
#2 of 5 in San Fernando La Union
El Puerto Marina Beach Resort & Spa
Aureo La Union
Aureo La Union
#1 of 5 in San Fernando La Union
Kahuna Beach Resort and Spa

Been to Puerto Del Sol Beach Resort? Share your experiences!