“A very pleasant stay”

Ranked #3 of 4 Taumarunui B&B and Inns
Christchurch, New Zealand
“A very pleasant stay”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

I stayed two nights and also used the conference facilities at this motel. My room was spacious, well-equipped and comfortable and I had a spa bath, which was very enjoyable! I felt there were a number of minor 'details' which could be slightly improved - better first impression when you check in, signs in the rooms to show where things are (I didn't manage to switch my fridge on until the second day!), but the staff are friendly, helpful and efficient. The conference room was well prepared and looked very professional, with high quality presentation equipment provided. Catering for the event was very tasty and well-prepared, although I'd suggest providing a selection of fruit for those of us trying to eat healthily!

This trip was not one of my organisational triumphs and I managed to both lose my watch (thought I'd lost it at the airport, actually) and leave expensive toiletries behind. I e-mailed, asking if they could be returned if I sent addressed packaging and got an instant response, which also confirmed they had found my watch in the room. Overall, a very pleasant and enjoyable stay and I would definitely recommend this motel to other travellers or people wanting to use the conference facilities.

Incidentally, we also ate at the motel restaurant (Zeebers) both nights. The meals were so outstanding that I have written a separate review. The best meals I have had for a long time and easily top restaurant quality.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Faith1000

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
New Plymouth, New Zealand
Reviewed August 1, 2013

Was clean and adequate but very cold. Only small fan heater provided. Thought I would warm up in the shower but had it on full hot and only just warm enough for a shower. Next morning at 8am someone unlocked my front door and started to open it. Realising I was still there locked it again. Im hoping I wont have to stay at this motel next time Im in town.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Bronwyn H
Taupo, Waikato, New Zealand
Reviewed July 16, 2013

My son and I stayed here recently, I believe the hosts could do with a hospitality pill and a cleaning lesson. The reception looks like a dumping ground 1st impressions always count.
I have traveled extensively through out our country and I have never come across a place who has a room rate based on 1 person, when it can clearly sleep 3. Room rate based on 2 people I absolutely am use too, but $135.00 and any other person is $10.00 per head. No value for money here. Not to mention my room being left unlocked after servicing, and stained towels and 2nd rate finishing's. The restaurant menu has not consideration for children. NOT HAPPY and would NOT recommend to any one.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank Vi P
Napier, New Zealand
Reviewed March 22, 2013

I spent 2 weeks here whilst in Taumarunui on business. This is a very popular hotel with business travelers. The rooms are a decent size and if you are lucky you will get one with a spa bath (although it didn't feel right to use it given the current drought!). It was clean and modern with a comfortable bed and somewhere to sit.
There is a pool which I didn't use but looked nice, a spa pool which seemed to be cold all the time and a gym which to be honest could've done with updating as much of the equipment seemed to be broken. There is also a tennis court, but you need to bring your own racquet.
The hotel has a restaurant which is easily the best one in town. The steak comes highly recommended.
Staff are friendly, rooms are modern and comfortable and the food is good. What more could you ask for?

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Harpenden, UK
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Tamaranui is one of those small New Zealand country towns where nothing ever seems to happen, and, as a result, is an absolute delight for an overseas visitor like me. The Central Park is the largest motel in the town, in a quiet side street 200 metres from the main road. Our room was standard NZ motel fare, efficient, generously sized and well equipped. There is a restaurant in the motel - probably the poshest in town - but it was closed on the evening we were there. There is a nice little outdoor pool area, and I found the motel to be totally satisfactory and unexceptional.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed February 25, 2013

You need a sense of humour to stay at the Central Park Motor Inn. First they lost the booking that they had confirmed in November (this was apparently because we had booked online). Once that was sorted I asked if we needed to book at the restaurant for dinner and was told that it was closed because the Central Park Motor Inn was full and they were too busy to open the restaurant or bar. The same was true for the following night which was Saturday night. One of the main reasons we booked at the Central Park Motor Inn was the easy access to a restaurant (their web site does not mention that it is rarely open).

We then had to get glasses and light bulbs so that we had working bed lamps and could have a glass of wine (while sharing a single glass is romantic it was only a very small glass) its not very practical.

The room information also indicated that you could get a continental breakfast delivered to the room. I was advised that they don not really do that but we could find some cereal and toast in the restaurant kitchen but that we would have to make do with what milk we had because that had run out.

One you get past this and the fact that some of the bathroom linen supplied had hole in them it was a very pleasant stay in the so called Executive King Spa Studio Suite.

Basil Fawlty is alive and well in Taumarunui.

Room Tip: Try somewhere else
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Bryce J
Reviewed December 13, 2012

i found that central park motor inn in taumarunui was an all you could ask for motel with great facilities for the children and for the adults nice pool
gym on the side also a sauna and a bbq at the pool great family exsperience with the tenis court nice tidy site i found that our room number 3O was perfect with a double to singles and aditional sofa sleepers the room was great not to mention the friendly staff at reseption a great bar and resturant i noticed from my last stay that they had done alot of redecorating and looks great i truly do recomend to any one a great home away from home

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank jackson9450
Also consider these accommodations in or near Taumarunui
Forgotten World Motel
#1 of 3 in Tongariro National Park
Grandad's Cottage
Grandad's Cottage
#6 of 6 in Taumarunui

Been to Central Park Motor Inn? Share your experiences!