“Nice hotel”
Review of Kerrington House

Kerrington House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Axminster
Reviewed September 26, 2011

This hotel is really deserving of four stars. The building is lovely and well located. It is clean and the general feel is warm and inviting. The room itself is nicely appointed, in a traditional manner. It drops a star due to the bathroom not being as nice as it could or should be for a 5 star hotel. It is not bad, but could do with just a little updating. The complimentary sherry is a very nice touch and the bed sheets are fresh and crisp. My only other negative would be the owner's apparent inability to read each guest's willingness to chat. I am not much of a 'morning person' and prefer to be left alone to quietly read my paper until I come around in my own time. My host, friendly and cheerful though she was, didn't seem to pick up on this as she chatted away to me at 7.30am. Still, better this than the unattentive type. Breakfast itself, which consisted im my case of simple bacon and toast, was good and plentiful.

Overall, it was a very pleasant stay and well worth the money.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Kerrington House

Reviewed September 24, 2011

The hotel is situated about 5-10 minutes walk from Axminster railway station, which also has bus stops and a small Tesco attached to a petrol station nearby. The hotel is on a minor road out of Axminster, no real traffic noise. The building is a large Victorian or Edwardian private house.

I had really wanted to stay in Lyme Regis, but found no hotel there with spaces that I liked the look of on Tripadvisor. Axminster is the nearest railway station to Lyme Regis. There is a regular bus service, every hour Mon-Sat and every two hours on Sundays. There is also a bus Monday to Saturdays to Seaton, a little West of Lyme Regis and connected by an interesting 3 hour walk. The coast route bus X53 runs daily connecting Exeter to Poole via Seaton and Lyme Regis (but not Axminster). So if it is Lyme Regis and the coast you want, it is quite do-able from Axminster even if you are dependent on public transport.

The owner provided a friendly and efficient reception. There is a comfortable looking lounge.

I had single occupancy of a double room. It was very large and bright, pleasant traditional decor. Very well equipped: iron, bathrobe, hairdryer, electrical hair curlers, large choice of tea, coffee and hot chocolate, little boxes with useful things in them. Medium sized shower room, nice toiletries, large thick bath sheets. All very cared for as well as generous. Clean.

Breakfast was served in an attractive large bright room with a view of the front garden. Good cooked breakfast, porrage with whisky, croissants warmed for you, as well as cold buffet, modest size but with fruit and muesli. Cheerful happy staff - lots of laughter from the kitchen.

So I thought this was a small hotel with well-realised ambitions that made it markedly better than many larger places.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Michael3112
Reviewed August 22, 2011

We really enjoyed our stay and found the hotel was in an ideal position for both Lyme Regis and Bridport and easily walkable to the River Cafe in nearby Axminster, which proved to be a great evening out.
The room we had was at the top and very clean,roomy and comfortable.There were some nice touches of complimentary water, biscuits, chocolates and sherry in our room. The water in the shower was piping hot and the towels, soaps and shampoos supplied were of a high quality.
The best thing of all was the breakfast with very friendly service and delicious food and very well cooked.I had the smoked haddock and poached egg which was exemplary.My wife's full english looked and tasted a treat.The previous morning she had scrambled egg with a huge piece of smoked salmon on top all beautifully cooked.Thank you for a most enjoyable stay and we highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 15, 2011

My girlfriend and I have just come back from a fantastic weekend away in Axminster and Bath; we came to Axminster for an evening at River Cottage for my girlfriend’s birthday. And Kerrington House was perfect from the moment we pulled up; Fiona the manager was lovely and so helpful. She came out to greet us with a warm welcome and offered to take our bags up to the room, the room we had was on the top floor and it was lovely and cosy not to mention very clean. When we told her that we had come for a night at River Cottage she explained that the taxi companies in the area were of quite a limited fleet and that we may struggle to get a taxi to take us down there. But without question she was straight on the phone to as many taxi companies as possible trying to get us a lift down to the cottage.

The bed was lovely and comfortable and after having a great dinner at River Cottage, I slept like a baby. The next morning we went down for breakfast and again the experience was top notch, the young waitress very polite and friendly and the breakfast superb, with a fantastically wide choice on offer.

I know the review below is some what critical and you must respect other people’s opinions and experiences, but for the life of me I cannot find any comparisons to what I experienced, whilst staying at Kerrington House. I honestly couldn’t recommend this place enough.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 3, 2011

What are all the rave reviews about? The b&b is in a positive location; walking distance from the train station and Axminster and countryside walks, and if in the car parking was available. The rooms were ok. There was a couple of stains on our bedspread, which I thought was poor, although the general cleanliness was ok otherwise.. The furnishing were OTT, not leaving much room in the bedroom to move about, I couldn't sit down to dry my hair as the mirror was way to high up the wall, the traffic could be heard during the night and generally, the room was looking tired and in need of redecoration.
I wouldn't say the service was that great. We were made to feel the manager was doing us a favour and that we had to fit in for her convenience. Breakfast finished at 9.30, early for a weekend. The breakfast was shockingly poor, not 5 star at all. The order was incorrect, the scrambled egg watery and possibly cooked in the microwave. No thought to presentation, or taste. The breakfast menu uninspiring and mediocre. All in all, not worth over £100 a night.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ruby2sh0es
Reviewed June 28, 2011

We have stayed in a number of B&Bs but this was certainly the best. The room was luxuriously decorated with lots of lovely little extras that made our stay so comfortable. The breakfast was delicious with very efficient service and a wide variety on the menu meant we were spoilt for choice. Our host was friendly and welcoming and we would definitely recommend a stay here.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 16, 2011

Hi,
I live away but work in Axminster very frequently and so often stay at Kerrington House.
First things first, it's not really a hotel. It doesnt offer food in the evenings, but there is a good Indian and a good Chinese within easy walking distance.
Each room at the Kerrington is different, some with showers, some with baths, even one with a four poster bed, so book early for choice and ask as to what is available.
An earlier comment on here was that the walls were thin. I agree with this for certain rooms only. I have overheard people talking on the phone but only in one or two of the rooms certainly not all.
Flat screen TV's in rooms are small, but really if you want to sit and watch the telly, you wont want to stay here.
Downstairs is a lounge, peace and quiet in abundance to sit and read the paper, or find a board game, draughts, chess, cards under the coffee table.
Breakfast is surperb! How writers on here can complain about "no veg" is beyond me. Who has veg for breakfast anyway, odd eating habits if you ask me. No great surprise then that the host had little to offer.
Breakfast has a choice of three juices, six cereals, porridge and an array of cooked options, as well as stewed prunes, apricots, pineapple and grapefruit.
I do not know of such an establishment locally to offer such choice, none at all.

The host will also go out of her way to organise something if you are leaving earlier than breakfast is served.

Top this off with memory foam beds, sherry and mint chocolates in each room and a warm welcome each evening, then what more could you want.................it's almost better than home!

(Memory foam beds aren't to the liking off all and I find a couple of the beds to be to soft for me, but that is purely personal as i know I like a very firm mattress)

Room Tip: Book early and every room is different, so ask!
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Axminster
Dower House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Wilmington
Monkton Wyld Court
Monkton Wyld Court
#2 of 7 in Charmouth

Been to Kerrington House? Share your experiences!