“Perfect birthday meal”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed April 1, 2014

Lovely, friendly atmosphere, but quiet enough to go on a date. Amazing gastropub food but with decent sized portions. Huge drinks selection too!

Reviewed March 31, 2014 via mobile

We found this pub/restaurant thru trip advisor whilst looking for a stop off place on the way to our holiday destination from the Midlands. It did not disappoint :) I had the fish & chips with the lightest batter I've ever tasted my husband had the tasty thick cut ham ham both served with fabulous thick chips. The staff were efficient & friendly. Why can't all restaurants be like this one.

Reviewed March 31, 2014

I booked for a romantic meal for two and was not disappointed. Spacious car parking facilities followed by a friendly greeting by Mark at the bar. We sat in the very comfortable and informal atmosphere and were surprised to receive some delicious canapes. We were then taken to our table. The food was delicious regional and well presented. Well done we will be back again.

Reviewed March 28, 2014

We recently stayed at the Tytherleigh Arms and couldn't fault it. We had a fantastic meal in the restaurant and the customer service and hospitality were first class. The menu choice was great and the food cooked to perfection. We certainly weren't expecting the high level of cuisine that we were presented with. The staff were extremely knowledgeable about the produce. Breakfast menu was also superb - top marks.

Overall, an outstanding experience - just wish we didn't live 4 hours away. Would thoroughly recommend and will definitely be visiting again on our next trip to Axminster.

Reviewed March 18, 2014

A return visit because of the wow factor on previous visits!
The whole experience apart from the food is for me just right...welcoming, relaxing, soothing decor and 'ambiance'. Thankfully too, no loud music to interrupt conversations. I love the blend of rustic, simple with complex and creative menus.
6 of us dined with great comfort and satisfaction. Good chairs for lingering and a spacious table to take the plentiful dishes. Service was at an ideal pace by knowledgeable and relaxed staff. The menu always has something to question and I always come away knowing more than I did on arrival. This time we discovered 'Escabeche'.The starters of Lyme Bay pickled herring with pesto paste were thoroughly enjoyed. Main courses of stunning roast beef..to quote the consumer." as good as it gets". Consumed beery battered cod, wild mushroom risotto, pigeon tart ( an enlarged starter!) goats cheese strudel parcel, and trout fillets with the 'escabeche' enables me to post this very positive review of the creative menu. All the accompanying vegetables, sauces and salads were absolutely top notch. I must single out the presentation of the goats cheese, one of the best veggie meals in my dining experience. A delight!
Granny Gotherd's ice cream was the perfect finale alongside excellent coffees and a very well received home made black forest chocolate. We wined and dined with "spot on" Otter and Branscombe Ales. Now for the price....not everyone had starters or desserts or coffees BUT we had what we really wanted and we paid £23 per head. Everyone left full of appreciation and praise and wanting to return. One observation....access for those with mobility issues may not be the best.
Plenty of parking, delightful exterior with spring flowers. Such a good place to celebrate with family so I am sure we will be back again. It's great to have such a reliable venue with aspects of the unpredictable to keep the experience fresh and attractive.

1  Thank annieyeo