“Quite simply sumptuous”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed December 8, 2013

I recently visited the Tytherleigh Arms for dinner on a weekend break to Devon and was blown away by the standard of food and service that we received. Whilst the restaurant itself is a simple and beautiful pub we were treated as well as in any fine dining restaurant I have ever eaten in. We were there on a Saturday night and the restaurant was buzzing from early on but the staff, although extremely busy, were attentive and friendly throughout. The two owners seemed to know by name every other person that popped in for a drink and this gave the whole place a lovely local feel. Now on to the main event, the food. It was local, fresh and beautiful to look at, not what you would expect from a pub and the prices were absolutely justified in the quality and presentation of the dishes. A tremendous restaurant, a talented chef, and two proprietors who have managed to combine the relaxed nature of a pub with the food of a top restaurant. We were very impressed and will most certainly be making the journey from London again! (And good luck to one of the proprietors who looked as if she was ready to pop out a sprog any day now... I hope it all goes well!) One of those restaurants you can truly recommend to anyone without a moments hesitation.

There are newer reviews for The Tytherleigh Arms

Reviewed December 7, 2013

We have had consistently lovely food here ever since the present owners took over. Service is great and staff have always been tremendously helpful and accommodating. We have eaten here for both lunch and dinner - always excellent. Today was no exception and we are looking forward to our next visit

Reviewed December 6, 2013

I too am going to break with the consensus view of this eating establishment. It is a pub/restaurant that is very local to us, and after a long period of absence we decided to give it a try. There is much to be said in the Tytherleigh's favour. The staff on the day we visited for our pub lunch were friendly, courteous, and prompt. So no complaints there. I was provided with all the trimmings for my driver's stand-by of lemonade and lime. The ambience when sitting in the bar area is just about OK.

We were in the mood for something quintessentially English, quick, tasty and down-to-earth. Guess what? Ham, egg and chips for two.

What arrived from the kitchen was a pile of very nice chips, two rashers of equally nice ham, and what was allegedly a fried duck egg. It didn't quack, so I could not tell. Generally speaking in these days of fierce pub grub competition, an effort is made with this fairly classic 'dish' to include a salad garnish, just to liven things up, sometimes a nice dip. At the Tytherleigh there was no garnish of any kind, and for this very basic rendering, we were charged what I judge to be a fairly extortionate £10 plus per head. I can get the same meal, better presented, for less, at the local farm shop. My recommendation to the Tytherleigh is either charge something more down-to-earth for very down-to-earth fare, or make the same effort with the culinary presentation that is made by your bar staff.

1  Thank John Michael J
Reviewed November 19, 2013

All the staff were very welcoming and the service was of a very high standard. Two young wait-staff were attentive, discrete and engaging. I cannot imagine better service.
We felt that the main courses were a little too complex and could have done with a bit more contrast within the dish. That's probably old-fashioned of me but I prefer to be able to taste the differences between elements of the dish. That said, proportions were generous and the ingredients of good quality. The sorbets we had for sweet were superb (we were too full to try the rest of the interesting menu).
We would certainly eat there again

2  Thank Godwit
Reviewed November 14, 2013

Welcoming staff, first class food beautifully presented and lovely served all at a very reasonable price. Thank you all very much.