“Wonderful Place”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed March 1, 2013

We were on our way to Poole and wanted to stop off for lunch somewhere, I found The Tytherleigh Arms on tripadvisor the reviews looked good so phoned and booked, we were not disappointed. This place is excellent the staff are knowledgeable, friendly and welcoming. The food was superb we had three courses and thoroughly enjoyed all three so it's compliments to the chef. If you live close or you are passing Axminster treat yourself to some wonderful food it's well worth a visit.

Reviewed February 26, 2013 via mobile

Have eaten here three times in the last six months and had great food and fabulous service each time.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

My Husband took me to the Tytherliegh Arms for a Birthday treat as we had heard the food was good. (. We rarley eat out as we are always dissapointed) NOT this time!! The only fault I could find is you will not be able to get a Table soon. Thank you all at Tytherleigh for restoring our faith in good food good service& food at a sensible price for the quality.
We will be back.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

Haven't been here for some twenty odd years although we live locally. We were tempted to try it out after seeing it had had a facelift and also having read some of the reviews. Tried to get in for a 19:30 meal but couldn't - so we opted for the 18:00 slot instead. The host and staff were extremely welcoming and the place was warm and inviting even at first opening.
The decor is pleasant with oceans of wooden flooring. I had the slow roast belly of pork with sweet red cabbage, thyme & garlic dauphinoise, chantenay carrots and a blackberry jus which was excellent save for the jus being slightly overpowering. My wife had tart tatin of balsamic roasted root vegetables, gruyere cheese, roasted walnuts, soused beetroot and a micro herb salad which she thoroughly enjoyed - it's so difficult sometimes to get thoughtfully prepared vegetarian food in places other than veggie restaurants.
My experiences with cheese boards in the past has been very mixed with varying amounts, variety and importantly - value for money. We decided to try this one. It was excellently prepared and the selection was incredibly tasty - most of the cheeses I'd never tried before but wouldn't hesitate to do so again. Not the biggest portions, but adequate and certainly tops in variety.
All in all we had a very pleasant evening - they sell prosecco by the glass which is useful and I stuck firmly to my Otter Ale favourite.
The bill was very reasonable for two (£58) and we would not hesitate to come again. I shall definitely be chasing a Sunday lunch at some stage and have no reason to think it won't be of the same high standard.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

We had a major discussion as to where to take our world travelled friend for supper on a Monday night in the area.

I had heard that the Tytherleigh food was incredibly good. So we decided to give it a try.

Oh my oh my. From the minute I made the booking I realised I was speaking to a complete professional.

To walk in from the freezing cold on a Monday night and be greeted with a real flame candelabra on the table, a huge log fire at the end of the Inn and a warm welcome in such a beautiful true sense of the word Country Inn, we knew the food would be amazing.

Our camparis were served in charming oval glasses and on enquiry were informed they were specially chosen designer glasses, the name of whom I can't quite remember.

The unexpected amuse bouche were presented on a slate and were a good sample of what was to come.

I was particularly pleased to note that despite the obvious quality and selection on the menu that the prices were very reasonable for what was on offer.

We had between us the Bouillabaisse with saffron rouille and ciabatta, The beautifully presented slow roast belly of pork with a delicious blackberry jus and a Beer battered haddock and chips with (I was charmed to note, "crushed peas") and tartar sauce.

The wine list was comprehensive.

Outstanding Customer Service. Good Car Park.

To be thoroughly recommended to both locals looking for somewhere really super for an evening meal and visitors to our area.

I shan't hesitate to recommend - I suspect the accommodation that is being brought on will be excellent too. It's quite clear that two very special people run this establishment.