“Below average food for expensive price.”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Hunters Lodge Inn

Hunters Lodge Inn
Ranked #2 of 35 Restaurants in Axminster
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Special occasions, Kids, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget, Large groups, Romantic, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Brunch, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: 'Our 16th Century Coaching Inn commands an enviable position, conveniently situated on the main A35 where Devon & Dorset meet, between the bustling market town of Axminster, and the beautiful seaside town of Lyme Regis, the gateway to the Jurassic Coast.Neville & I along with our fantastic team, have worked very hard over the past 12 years to ensure that everyone who passes through our door can enjoy a fabulous range of home cooked traditional Pub Fayre - from sandwiches & light lunches through to super steaks sourced locally by our Butcher Duncan, from Honiton,& fresh fish from West Bay, Portland and Brixham. Come and enjoy a meal with us in clean, warm & comfortable surroundings. We offer an extensive menu with something for everyone, along with daily homemade specials and fabulous fresh homemade desserts.We have 3 separate dining areas and can cater for a total of 80 persons, or functions of up to 40 in our restaurant. We are proud of our 5 star food hygiene rating from East Devon District Council and also of our Tripadvisor reviews and seal of excellence for 2013 & 2014.We have extensive parking, are doggie friendly, and have large gardens & play area - families are most welcome.We are sure you will enjoy your visit to The Hunters Lodge and very much look forward to welcoming you!
Coventry, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Below average food for expensive price.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2013

I was looking forward to having a meal here. Scampi and chips for £12? For what I got, I would only have paid £8 considering the surroundings. I was disappointed with what appeared to be scampi out of packet and McDonald's style French fries. Had it been better value I might have considered going there for the rest of the week. It's only Tuesday night. 11 sept. 2013.

• Visited September 2013
sarah c, Owner at Hunters Lodge Inn, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
We were really disappointed to read your review sir, and saddened to hear that your experience with us did not meet your expectations.
I find it difficult to know what to say with regard to your criticism about the price of the scampi (which is actually £11.45 - not £12) All I can say is, that all prices are stated on our Menu and therefore, if you had thought it excessive, I can not understand why you ordered it.

In response to the next point you make - one would have to go a very long way to find an establishment on the scale of ours, that does not serve breaded whole tail scampi from a packet.
Our scampi is made by Youngs; the scampi itself is sourced in the North Atlantic and it is a product which we have always found to be extremely good in the past.
A portion is 15 pieces which we know is very generous having compared it to that offered by other local eateries.
Our chips are a thin cut fresh chip - we choose them over the thick variety, as they take less time to cook, thus improving efficiency.

I notice with interest you are from the Midlands - I have family in that area and I am always flabbergasted when I visit, that the pub meals further up country are incredibly cheap and wonder how these establishments can make ends meet. I would imagine this must have something to do with the general cost of living being less.
I can only presume from your comments that you have compared our prices to those that you are used to, as, in our area you will find that we are very competitive.
I hope you can appreciate that I felt I needed to respond - Tripadvisor is a great place for customers to share their experiences, however, we are real people, and we really care about our business so we feel it is also important to put our views across as well.
Kind regards
Sarah Causley

Sorrento, Italy
“Superb service and good food too!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

Fitted us in on Bank Holiday Saturday after I had begged! Very good pub food at a very reasonable price. Judging it as a pub I gave it a mark of 4 , but the service we received from the second we made contact with them was brilliant, so I went the exta mile.

• Visited August 2013
sarah c, Owner at Hunters Lodge Inn, responded to this review, September 15, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review for us, we really do appreciate it and are so glad you chose to dine with us. I hope we can welcome you back in the future. Kind regards, Sarah Causley
Bognor Regis, United Kingdom
“Been here 3 times in one week!!!!!!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

Well what can I say!!!!!!!!! We have often been to the Hunters every time we visit Charmouth. The food is excellent and the staff are amazing. On all 3 occasions we were told we might have to wait which we expect over the Bank Holiday and peak summer holidays times. The reason we always come back is the quality of the food.Free wifi is also a bonus. They have a large garden also for children. They always give you so much food we rarelt have time for a pudding. All staff are friendly and the pub is wecoming. If you are ever passing please stop in it is worth even if you have to wait!!!!!!!! The menu is huge too. Go on try it

• Visited August 2013
Thank you so much - your review is really most appreciated. We are so pleased you enjoyed your time with us and hope we will be able to welcome you back should you visit the area again.
Best wishes, Sarah
Lyme Regis, United Kingdom
“To answer "How this place has got good reviews is beyond me"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

This review smacks of a rival restuarant planting someone just for the sake of it. The place is smelly, please it is one of the cleanest places I have ever been. The staff are miserable, I have been there hundreds of time, that is JUST NOT TRUE. The food was inedible oh for goodness sake this is just lies. The Bass was £20 it's £15.75 and is always steamed so is so moist it just melts. I really think this review is so untrue it has to be laughed at, anyone who reads it needs to completely ignore it. I came on here tonight to again write a great review for Hunters Lodge Inn, but felt compelled to address this atrocity that is just a bunch of lies and so far fetched it has to be fixed. What a total load of C--P. I( really can't stand by and let this kind of nonsense be written.
COME ON TRIP ADVISOR, YOU ONLY NEED TO LOOK AT ALL THE OTHER REVIEWS TO SEE THIS IS A TOTAL PREFABRICATION.

2 Thank Cheryl R
Thank you so much for your review, and for your words of praise - the review below really did knock us for six, so to speak.
Silly as it sounds, for people, like ourselves, who are passionate about their business, it is really upsetting to encounter such unfounded negativity & lies.
We will continue to try our hardest to provide excellent food and service in clean, comfortable surroundings - which is what we are, and have always been, about.
We look forward to welcoming you again, best wishes, Sarah
Honiton, United Kingdom
“Consistently excellent.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

I have dined at the Hunters Lodge on numerous occasions and thus far it is yet to disappoint. The food is a clear cut above standard pub grub while the hearty portion sizes ensure you will not be leaving hungry. We dined here as a party of 8 on Friday evening and, as usual, we received excellent service all night, tasty well presented food and a plentiful supply of drinks to keep morale up. I'd recommend the local 'Otter Ale' - superb. Thank you Hunters Lodge, we'll be back!

• Visited August 2013
Thank you so much, your review is much appreciated. I hope we can welcome you again soon, best wishes, Sarah