“Been here 3 times in one week!!!!!!!!!”
Review of Hunters Lodge Inn

Hunters Lodge Inn
Ranked #3 of 37 Restaurants in Axminster
Cuisines: British
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: 16th Century Coaching Inn commands an enviable position, conveniently situated on the main A35 where Devon & Dorset meet, between the bustling market town of Axminster, and the beautiful seaside town of Lyme Regis, the gateway to the Jurassic Coast.
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Well what can I say!!!!!!!!! We have often been to the Hunters every time we visit Charmouth. The food is excellent and the staff are amazing. On all 3 occasions we were told we might have to wait which we expect over the Bank Holiday and peak summer holidays times. The reason we always come back is the quality of the food.Free wifi is also a bonus. They have a large garden also for children. They always give you so much food we rarelt have time for a pudding. All staff are friendly and the pub is wecoming. If you are ever passing please stop in it is worth even if you have to wait!!!!!!!! The menu is huge too. Go on try it

sarah c, Owner at Hunters Lodge Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2013

Thank you so much - your review is really most appreciated. We are so pleased you enjoyed your time with us and hope we will be able to welcome you back should you visit the area again.
Best wishes, Sarah

Reviewed August 30, 2013

This review smacks of a rival restuarant planting someone just for the sake of it. The place is smelly, please it is one of the cleanest places I have ever been. The staff are miserable, I have been there hundreds of time, that is JUST NOT TRUE. The food was inedible oh for goodness sake this is just lies. The Bass was £20 it's £15.75 and is always steamed so is so moist it just melts. I really think this review is so untrue it has to be laughed at, anyone who reads it needs to completely ignore it. I came on here tonight to again write a great review for Hunters Lodge Inn, but felt compelled to address this atrocity that is just a bunch of lies and so far fetched it has to be fixed. What a total load of C--P. I( really can't stand by and let this kind of nonsense be written.
COME ON TRIP ADVISOR, YOU ONLY NEED TO LOOK AT ALL THE OTHER REVIEWS TO SEE THIS IS A TOTAL PREFABRICATION.

2  Thank Cheryl R
sarah c, Owner at Hunters Lodge Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2013

Thank you so much for your review, and for your words of praise - the review below really did knock us for six, so to speak.
Silly as it sounds, for people, like ourselves, who are passionate about their business, it is really upsetting to encounter such unfounded negativity & lies.
We will continue to try our hardest to provide excellent food and service in clean, comfortable surroundings - which is what we are, and have always been, about.
We look forward to welcoming you again, best wishes, Sarah

Reviewed August 27, 2013

I have dined at the Hunters Lodge on numerous occasions and thus far it is yet to disappoint. The food is a clear cut above standard pub grub while the hearty portion sizes ensure you will not be leaving hungry. We dined here as a party of 8 on Friday evening and, as usual, we received excellent service all night, tasty well presented food and a plentiful supply of drinks to keep morale up. I'd recommend the local 'Otter Ale' - superb. Thank you Hunters Lodge, we'll be back!

Thank you so much, your review is much appreciated. I hope we can welcome you again soon, best wishes, Sarah

Reviewed August 23, 2013

On the basis of the high trip advisor ratings and numerous positive reviews we ventured from our hotel to this restaurant with promise if good, local and home cooked food.

I have never gone to a restaurant before and found both courses inedible and needed to stop at tesco on the way home for snacks to keep me going.... Where to begin.

The waitresses were the most miserable bunch - I felt it pointless complaining to them about the poor food as I couldn't imagine they would be interested. The restaurant is tired and a bit smelly, it was unbelievably stuffy and hot which made me feel a little ill.

The food was not home cooked, nor even well cooked. My BBQ chicken skewers were so dry the meat disintegrated into a dry mulch in my mouth and the smothering of sauce was clearly a cheap sauce from a jar. One mouthful was all I could stomach.

The seabass I ordered for my main held much promise at its nearly £20 price tag. I feel sorry for th fish that died to be served on this plate. Over cooked, too dry to eat and swimming in butter. Again, one mouthful and I was done!

I did look at the desert cabinet on the way to the toilet and whilst I didn't try any of it, can confirm that they most certainly didn't look home cooked!!!

My partner ordered a steak which was very average and very fatty. So £50 down and I hadn't eaten. I genuinely don't understand the reviews this place has received. Avoid, avoid, avoid!!!!!!

sarah c, Owner at Hunters Lodge Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2013

Madam,
It has pained me to wait to respond to your review as I wanted to the day you posted it, but I have been patient, as I sent you an email asking for kindly for the exact date that you visited so that we could address the situation with the staff who were working on that particular occasion.
However, I have waited a long time and you have not responded.

I can honestly say that in 10 years of business we have never encountered such negative comments as yours which has naturally caused us great concern.

I was only talking the other day to our staff about how fortunate we are to welcome such lovely customers every day – even in this holiday period – which has been particularly busy, people have been so appreciative of our efforts, and simply lovely.

I can say with my hand on my heart your review brought me to tears – my husband tells me not to take things so seriously but, when you have put 10 years of your life into your business it is hard not to.
We were actually so taken aback by your comments that we seriously wondered if you had actually got the right place?

Every day we receive positive feedback from the hundreds of people who pass through our door which has reassured us, up until now, that we must be doing something right.

Tripadvisor is a wonderful platform for customers to share their experience with other potential customers – and also to give helpful feedback to business owners .
I am sure there are many business owners/managers who don’t even look at their reviews – indeed, corporate companies and big chains are often run by people who close the door at the end of the day and don’t give their restaurant another thought.
However, in the case of small, family run, establishments such as our own, it is quite common to check for new reviews every day.

From a business owners’ point of view, there is one very serious flaw with Tripadvisor, and this is that when review is posted which contains actual lies there is nothing we can do about it.
If the platform used to air such a review was a magazine, or newspaper as a business owner we could approach our solicitor, but unfortunately, all we can do on Tripadvisor is write a response and let the general public make their own minds up.

I would just like to address some of the points you raise in your review – there are a few that really concern us as they are actually untrue;

-Firstly, and most importantly, our food IS home cooked and our desserts ARE homemade.
Frustratingly for us you make these sweeping statements in your review without any proof at all.

-The Sea Bass you chose is not £20. It is £15.75. It is the most expensive fish on our menu.
It is delivered fresh each day by our fish merchant from West Bay, it is then steamed to order – which is why we found it very difficult to understand why it was dry on this occasion.

-The homemade complimentary herb butter could have been served separately had you wished – you just needed to ask.

We were most shocked by your comments regarding the staff – as were they, when I showed them your review;
As you will see from the other 130+ reviews on here, service is something we are always commended on. The girls have all worked for us a long time, some are family members, the others feel like family. They enjoy their jobs. Interacting with the lovely customers we get, and work efficiently with each other. This combination is what usually makes the atmosphere so warm and welcoming.
After much discussion and thought, one of my girls believes she was the one who served you and your partner as she remembers the dishes you ordered; She told me she remembered the lady was pregnant and didn’t eat very much. She asked on a couple of occasions if everything was ok, to which the lady replied yes, and blamed her lack of appetite on her condition - that she just wasn’t very hungry.

I couldn’t understand your comment about the restaurant being tired as it was only decorated recently – but the waitress concerned remembers the couple whom we believe were yourselves, actually sat in the main Bar area – this would explain you comment about the place being tired – it is a little, I don’t mind admitting that, and it is due for refurbishment in January. However, despite being a little tired, we endeavour to keep it clean and comfortable.

The comment about the place being smelly was what upset me most.
The only thing it ever smells of is the food that is being served, and surely we can be forgiven for that?

Our overriding thought is that we cannot understand why, with such a catalogue of problems, you did not say anything, and hope that you can appreciate that this makes it even more frustrating for us as we had no opportunity to try and right the situation.

Any of our staff would have bent over backwards to help if there was a problem, as would my husband or myself if we had been given the opportunity; we could have seated you in a different area, cooked alternative dishes, and we would ultimately not have let you pay – we strongly believe no one should pay for something they haven’t eaten or enjoyed.

We are not a restaurant, or a gastro pub, and have never pretended to be.

We can only think that perhaps that’s where the problems you encountered began - that your preconception of what we were was incorrect.

We have never tried to be anything different than a roadside public house serving home cooked traditional English fayre in clean comfortable surroundings.
And that is what we believe we do, well. This is confirmed by the thousands of people who pass through our door each year and tell us.

I can only apologise now for the problems you encountered, and for the fact that we did not live up to your expectations, and hope you can appreciate the need for us to respond.

Might I kindly suggest that in future, before you write a review, you take into consideration, that, along with other potential customers reading your review, there might actually be genuine, hard working owners, such as my husband and myself, backed by a team of equally hard working staff, who would welcome helpful, and not hurtful, comments.

Sarah Causley

Reviewed August 23, 2013

went here with my husband and 2 boys, the food is lovely and the children's portions are a very good size. the service was fantastic and the staff were warm and welcoming and happy to help in anyway they could. will certainly be going back soon.

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review - we are really most grateful. Look forward to welcoming you again, kind regards Sarah