“Excellent food and service”
Review of Hunters Lodge Inn

Hunters Lodge Inn
Ranked #2 of 35 Restaurants in Axminster
Cuisines: British
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Description: 'Our 16th Century Coaching Inn commands an enviable position, conveniently situated on the main A35 where Devon & Dorset meet, between the bustling market town of Axminster, and the beautiful seaside town of Lyme Regis, the gateway to the Jurassic Coast.Neville & I along with our fantastic team, have worked very hard over the past 12 years to ensure that everyone who passes through our door can enjoy a fabulous range of home cooked traditional Pub Fayre - from sandwiches & light lunches through to super steaks sourced locally by our Butcher Duncan, from Honiton,& fresh fish from West Bay, Portland and Brixham. Come and enjoy a meal with us in clean, warm & comfortable surroundings. We offer an extensive menu with something for everyone, along with daily homemade specials and fabulous fresh homemade desserts.We have 3 separate dining areas and can cater for a total of 80 persons, or functions of up to 40 in our restaurant. We are proud of our 5 star food hygiene rating from East Devon District Council and also of our Tripadvisor reviews and seal of excellence for 2013 & 2014.We have extensive parking, are doggie friendly, and have large gardens & play area - families are most welcome.We are sure you will enjoy your visit to The Hunters Lodge and very much look forward to welcoming you!
Kidderminster, United Kingdom
“Excellent food and service”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Yet again a lovely meal at Hunters Lodge, freshly prepared and good value for money. Lovely atmostphere and good service.

sarah c, Owner at Hunters Lodge Inn, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Thank you very much for taking time to write a review at this particuarly busy time of year! We are really grateful, and hope we can welcome you again soon. Kind regards, Sarah Causley

Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
“Superb Sunday Lunch”
Reviewed December 23, 2012

Both myself and my Wife have been to see my Mother-in-law today and decided to give the Hunters Lodge a try instead of home cooked food. I'm so glad we visited this lovely pub, what a fantastic meal/experience it was!. The service was excellent (the bar maid even making a cheeky comment about my "lovely" Christmas jumper!), the food first rate. The Lasagne was amazing, and my mother in laws lamb shank was the best she'd ever tasted (high praise indeed from a retired sheep farmer).
We're really looking forward to going back, all being well this will be a regular place to visit when we make the 130 mile trip down the M5 to visit. I should also mention the Otter Ale - as a CAMRA member I really appreciate a lovely pint (it ended up being more than one!). Many thanks for making the afternoon go really well.

1 Thank RayWatts90
sarah c, Owner at Hunters Lodge Inn, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to review - it really is most appreciated.
We are so glad you chose to dine with us as we know there are so many great places to chose from in our area. I am sorry I was not able to greet you personally but had taken our children for a pre-Christmas day out. Hopefully,, I will get to meet you all next time you visit.
Best wishes and thank you again,
Sarah Causley
London, United Kingdom
“What a Perfect Venue for a Sunday Lunch”
Reviewed December 16, 2012

I visited the Hunters Lodge for the first time last Sunday for my Auntty's birthday. The food was excellent and the portions were extremely generous. The Staff were incredibly attentive and made my Aunty feel very special.

I would definitely recommend and I will be back. Just disappointed it isn't more local for me (I live in London!)

• Visited December 2012
Thank you for your kind review, I hope we can look forward to welcoming you again next time you are visiting Aunty.
Kind regards
Sarah
Axbridge, United Kingdom
“More than a £ for a Slice of Bread!”
Reviewed December 12, 2012

My business partner & I called in here for a quick convenient coffee and something to nibble at - not crisps etc! We decided to share a ploughmans. Loads of cheese, pickle & side salad but one slice of bread. We asked for another slice of bread and the waitress said that would be £1 something. I mentioned we could get a loaf at the post office across the road for less, which I was kind of invited to do. If this had been part of a chain we could have understood. But the Hunters Lodge had just re-opened and is supposedly private. Obviously committed to passing trade & not local. Sadly disappointed.

Visited September 2012
sarah c, Owner at Hunters Lodge Inn, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
My husband and I own the Hunters Lodge Inn, we were really shocked and disappointed to read your review this morning.
We would firstly like to assure you that our pub hasn't just re-opened - we are a family run pub and have been here for 10 years.
We have just recently spent a lot of money redecorating the outside which we think is why a number of people, like as yourselves, have presumed it has changed hands.
We have worked really hard during our time here to ensure that everyone who dines with us has a good experience, which has meant we very rarely receive bad reviews.
Unfortunately, on this occasion there seems to have been some confusion regarding the price you were quoted for your extra request for bread;
Firstly, just to clarify, - we don't serve sliced bread - we serve a chunk of Granary bread with our ploughmans' lunch, and also with Soup, and as a seperate side order with butter.

The price for this is 70p; This is clearly stated on the menu above the bar and in the leather bound copy, which I would imagine would be the copy you had looked at, as I believe you chose to sit outside when you visited.

My husband and I cannot understand why your waitress would have told you it was going to be over £1, and completely agree with your opinion that this would be unacceptable.

We have aproached our staff regarding your complaint;

Our chef remembered which waitress served you, as she had passed your comment on to her at the time and therefore we have been able to approach the waitress concerned;

She remembers serving you, and the request for extra bread, but does not recall telling you that is was over £1 - in fact, on the contrary, she says she went and checked the price as she was unsure - we can only presume then, from our investigations, that there has been an unfortunate misunderstanding, and that, she had presumed you and your friend both wanted extra bread (as you were sharing the meal) and thus, told you it would be £1.40 (2 pieces at 70p each)

I cannot right the situation, and therefore, can only apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused you at the time.

We feel very sad that this misunderstanding has meant you have given us a score of 2 out of 5 which we personally think is undeserved, especially so since you seem to have been happy with the other aspects of your meal.
Sarah Causley
plymouth
“Fantastic food and service”
Reviewed December 8, 2012

had the steak and chips was cooked perfectly, great atmosphere the staff always cheerful and nothing to much trouble. That was my first visit, 2n,3rd and 4th visit same quality food and same friendly service. GREAT FOOD GOOD BEER WHAT MORE COULD YOU ASK FOR

• Visited November 2012
sarah c, Owner at Hunters Lodge Inn, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a lovely review. We are really glad you chose to dine with us and that you had such a great time! We hope we can look forward to welcoming you again in the future. Best wishes, Sarah